No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #12 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wonder if our ground has anything to do with it. I remember there was talk of going American stadium style with chopped car tyres being part of the base. Never happened obviously but you would think the club did their due diligence.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
hmmm.........there's a thought..........

no idea what will change but clearly (or not so) something has to give - look at the protection the nfl players have yet they have some of the worst concussions in sport I believe.......

NFL players have very little regard for their own safety, nor do the rules. They lead with the head, shoulders and neck.
Helmets don't prevent concussion and they have zero spinal protection in all their gear.
I think the helmets and pads make them feel invincible.
I'm not a big NFL fan, but I do enjoy the occasional game. I'm surprised they still allow a lot of the upper body contact, but to remove it would require some big changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFL players have very little regard for their own safety, nor do the rules. They lead with the head, shoulders and neck.
Helmets don't prevent concussion and they have zero spinal protection in all their gear.
I think the helmets and pads make them feel invincible.
I'm not a big NFL fan, but I do enjoy the occasional game. I'm surprised they still allow a lot of the upper body contact, but to remove it would require some big changes.
The NFL actually mad a whole raft of changes to minimize concussion in recent years - penalties for initiating contact with the helmet. It's made a considerable difference to regularity of concussions.

Stand Rule change coming up it seems... Reported that if a player fakes a handball in a bid to shift the man on the mark will not be awarded a 50m penalty in 2023. Seems good to me.

I recall Sam Docherty used that rule to his advantage against Collingwood, clear evidence of the AFL's anti-Carlton bias.

Stand Rule change coming up it seems... Reported that if a player fakes a handball in a bid to shift the man on the mark will not be awarded a 50m penalty in 2023. Seems good to me.

Hmmm. Wonder if the umpire now has to decide whether a player is faking or was genuinely about to handball but then changed their mind. Apparently there's the possibility of a play-on call as a result, presumably even if the player hasn't moved their feet. Really wish we could go just one year with a moratorium on rule tinkering.

Hmmm. Wonder if the umpire now has to decide whether a player is faking or was genuinely about to handball but then changed their mind. Apparently there's the possibility of a play-on call as a result, presumably even if the player hasn't moved their feet. Really wish we could go just one year with a moratorium on rule tinkering.
Faking a handpass only works if players are moving before play on has been called. So the stand rule now means sometimes they have to stand until play on is called, and sometimes they don't. Inline with the ambiguity of most other rules at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back