No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed. Thank you for posting.

My own father was a WWII vet. Today, I remember him. I still miss him so. My heart is heavy on this day.
Same as my father. He served in the Middle East. He unfortunately sustained a serious injury when he hit a child playing soccer while he was riding on a motorcycle (he was a dispatch rider). He then served under General Thomas Blamey as a cook in Port Moresby. His brother was only 16 (lied about his age; used my father's name as his own) when he went to serve. He later fought against the Nazis in Greece and fortunately survived after hiding out with a family there. He was honourably discharged, though, because they claimed he went AWOL. My father's 3 half brothers also all served. I don't want to be political. But those people we saw protesting in the city today, though, whether you agree with their cause or not, are a disgrace for protesting on this day, when I bet many of their own ancestors fought for this country. At least we still saw hundreds of thousands of people around the state celebrate it proudly, and Collingwood and Essendon played a classic full of hard-fought football that I'm sure many of the ANZACs would be proud of.

Lions look well off as a team - now 2-5, long way back for them

I have to admit, I've watched footy since the 60s, the game has changed in so many ways. Most things I understand, but there are parts of the contemporary game I just don't follow.

When a team is getting pulled apart all over the field like the second half tonight, GWS were just picking up easy stat after easy stat, why doesn't a coach deploy a man-on-man strategy, at least for 10-15 minutes and make the opposition re-think their game?

I have to admit, I've watched footy since the 60s, the game has changed in so many ways. Most things I understand, but there are parts of the contemporary game I just don't follow.

When a team is getting pulled apart all over the field like the second half tonight, GWS were just picking up easy stat after easy stat, why doesn't a coach deploy a man-on-man strategy, at least for 10-15 minutes and make the opposition re-think their game?
Because systems beat all but bad decisions beat systems - decisions are stubborn to change particularly when it has worked previously. AI is coming though, will drive in game moves so will be interesting how they gets used.

Still think we should see more man on man particularly at kick outs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hipwood still got five years to go on his contract... after this year.

This. It's sickening.
I kind of agree with you.
With all the handouts, concessions, draft pick leg ups these expansion teams get, I wonder when we will ever get a sniff of a flag again.
We will of course but jeez it seems a long way away.
GWS are the probably the best of the expansion clubs in terms of likability, so it could be worse I suppose.

Raid gws please, you should see their vfl players…
Amen. It's exactly what I've been thinking about for several years.

Conor Stone. He was pick 15 in the 2020 draft. I remember his performance against Geelong in that 2021 semi-final. I thought he would be a stud for them by now. He has unfortunately endured a horror injury run with his hamstrings. He seems to be a good player in the making. I'm sure he'll get games at some point this season, but can the Giants give him that time?

He seems to be performing very well in the VFL to start the season. I believe he is out of contract at the end of the season.
He is regarded as a strong (physically strong as well), natural leader. He's got great smarts inside 50 and isn't afraid to chase after an opponent, tackle them, and win the ball. He is studying Commerce at UNSW, which may unfortunately stop him from transferring (but surely we could get him into Melbourne or Monash 😉). With Jack Gunston potentially retiring after this season, at 189cm with a great physique built to take the arduous physical toll of the game, he could be a really good taller option to assist Mitchell Lewis up forward and whoever his long-term key forward partner will be (hopefully Chol, could be Weddle for all we know). Averaging 17 disposals, 2.667 goals, and 4.3 marks to start the season.

Clarko needs at least until the end of 2025 before any assessment can be made.
2023 was the Hawthorn saga which he was dragged into.
2024 we lost Goldstein, McKay and Logue to a long term injury and our Senior players have gone missing.
2025 will be the season upon which Clarko can be judged.

This was a statement made on the North Board

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Clarko needs at least until the end of 2025 before any assessment can be made.
2023 was the Hawthorn saga which he was dragged into.
2024 we lost Goldstein, McKay and Logue to a long term injury and our Senior players have gone missing.
2025 will be the season upon which Clarko can be judged.

This was a statement made on the North Board

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

He'll walk out when they're still rock bottom in 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back