Traded George Horlin-Smith [traded to Gold Coast for pick 59]

Remove this Banner Ad

i dont see what he has done that would have any club trading anything more than later round selections.
Just sayinng ,You don't need to trade as he is unrestricted free agent

Just sayinng ,You don't need to trade as he is unrestricted free agent

GC will probably trade a late round pick that neither club will use just to protect the Lynch compo.

GC will probably trade a late round pick that neither club will use just to protect the Lynch compo.
I think you spend too much time worries about Lynch combo , those recruiters will ask AFL about it before going further in these type of deal .

Last edited:

Little if any trade value, but having watched him over several years I agree he could be a good pick up for GC.

Not getting a game ahead of Danger, Selwood, Ablett, Duncan and Kelly is no disgrace. Given a decent run at it I think he could be a solid AFL player. Tough, inside player, usually at the bottom of packs, good skills, works hard around the ground, the knock on him is lack of pace but with the right group around him I reckon he'll be pretty effective. And he'll cost nothing. Why not??

I think it has to be a trade to not affect free trade compo. And if may leaves as well Gold Coast are going six to seven picks in the top 25 or so. So it will probably be their pick in the 40’s .

How insulting to GHS would it be to say we really rate you but we are only willing to pay pick 70 despite having 8picks below 55

The other aspect of what my previous post is that GHS is on record saying words to the effect they he believes he owes Geelong for all the work they have put into him . And doesn’t want to leave the club and wants to repay the club. Leaving with a trade on a very late pick goes against that particularly considering how many picks gc have

I think it has to be a trade to not affect free trade compo. And if may leaves as well Gold Coast are going six to seven picks in the top 25 or so. So it will probably be their pick in the 40’s .

How insulting to GHS would it be to say we really rate you but we are only willing to pay pick 70 despite having 8picks below 55
GHS might get you pick 88, pick 40 is just stupid though.

Players get traded all the time for s**t picks and are never `insulted`. * me. He`s worthless at the trade table, you're not getting a 40s pick.

It'll be something like a GC Pick 41 for our Pick 52. Worth 160 points (Pick 59 equivalent).
Points to be used on a Oscar Brownless perhaps.
Gold Coast don't want it (acquiring GHS) to hinder their compensation of Lynch i would think.
But if i were GC i would be demanding 2 number 1's (18 & 19) from Rich-Haw-Coll. and NOT bother with the compo.
They'll get a priority pick from the AFL anyway.
So two picks in the teens (14-17) same if not better value IMO.
So in reality the SUNS would pick
2, 3 (Priority), 14(Hawks for Lynch?), 17(WCE), 28, 30, 40. and Hawks 2019 1st Rounder??
7 Players in the top 40. With scope to turn Pick 2 into into 8 and 21 from Adelaide(Lukosious or Rankine?)
So sitting at 3, 8, 14, 17, 21, 28, 30, 40 seems a great way to start a rebuild IMO.
Anyway i have gone off on a tangent... Cheers Boys!!

It'll be something like a GC Pick 41 for our Pick 52. Worth 160 points (Pick 59 equivalent).
Points to be used on a Oscar Brownless perhaps.
Gold Coast don't want it (acquiring GHS) to hinder their compensation of Lynch i would think.
But if i were GC i would be demanding 2 number 1's (18 & 19) from Rich-Haw-Coll. and NOT bother with the compo.
They'll get a priority pick from the AFL anyway.
So two picks in the teens (14-17) same if not better value IMO.
So in reality the SUNS would pick
2, 3 (Priority), 14(Hawks for Lynch?), 17(WCE), 28, 30, 40. and Hawks 2019 1st Rounder??
7 Players in the top 40. With scope to turn Pick 2 into into 8 and 21 from Adelaide(Lukosious or Rankine?)
So sitting at 3, 8, 14, 17, 21, 28, 30, 40 seems a great way to start a rebuild IMO.
Anyway i have gone off on a tangent... Cheers Boys!!
Would be terrible business to want picks in the teens over pick 3 and to trade out pick 2. The top end talent in this draft is something else.

Little if any trade value, but having watched him over several years I agree he could be a good pick up for GC.

Not getting a game ahead of Danger, Selwood, Ablett, Duncan and Kelly is no disgrace. Given a decent run at it I think he could be a solid AFL player. Tough, inside player, usually at the bottom of packs, good skills, works hard around the ground, the knock on him is lack of pace but with the right group around him I reckon he'll be pretty effective. And he'll cost nothing. Why not??
I don't see why GC would want both GHS and Miles, especially after delisting Barlow.

Would be terrible business to want picks in the teens over pick 3 and to trade out pick 2. The top end talent in this draft is something else.

Each to their own.
But as with every year "Top end talent is something else"....
Blah Blah Blah... I don't believe the hype now and didn't believe it last year the year before nor the year before that.
Leave the hype to Twomey, Wallace, Sheahan and Draft central as every year the top end talent are superstars.
With 3(Priority), 8 and 21(For Pick 2) You still get Bailey Smith, Jackson Hately & Will Kelly all basically from a handout from the AFL.
Not convinced Lukosious is what he's been portrayed to be nor the King brothers.
Anyways that my opinion.
Cheers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the question would be, haven't the Suns got enough of this type already?

Also, if they're not valuing similar superior versions of the same type of player (Michael Barlow), what value would GHS have to them?

I think the question would be, haven't the Suns got enough of this type already?

Also, if they're not valuing similar superior versions of the same type of player (Michael Barlow), what value would GHS have to them?
Horlin-Smith brings leadership and loyalty. Two things the Suns severely lack.

Horlin-Smith brings leadership and loyalty. Two things the Suns severely lack.

Fair enough, but is he actually good enough to maintain a spot in an AFL 22 on those qualities? Because I simply don't think he's good enough to be an AFL footballer long-term.

51 AFL games and 63 VFL games in 8 years (an average of 14.25 games per year at all levels) on the Cats' list also brings into question his durability, too.

And he's not exactly a star at VFL level either; In 13 VFL games this season, he's averaged 22.38 disposals (51.39% kicking efficiency, 64.28% overall disposal efficiency), 2.85 marks, 3.62 tackles, 8.92 handball receives, and 0.54 goals per game. They're not particularly great numbers (particularly on the disposal efficiency side, even for an inside player) for a guy of his experience level pushing for an AFL place.

People can say "But he'll come cheap!", and yeah, he probably will for a team like the Suns. But I'd say if he went north, he'll probably end up like similar types like Mitch Hallahan and Michael Barlow (who were younger with more potential, or had more proven quality when they arrived at GC), and ultimately not end up doing much, and eventually being delisted. The intent might be for him to only be a temporary stop-gap, but he projects to be a pretty mediocre one IMO.

Players get traded all the time for s**t picks and are never `insulted`. **** me. He`s worthless at the trade table, you're not getting a 40s pick.
Im thinking more about some swap of picks which gets teh was up the draft order.

Happy to be proved wrong but please let me know of one other trade where a trade happens for a very late pick in these circumstances. where 1. A club ( GC) indicates prior to trade period they want him. 2. The player says he is happy to remain at his current club and 3. The current club has made no indication that it wants to get rid of him.

The notion of a trade is that you trade for what each person thinks the trade item is worth or what value the can obtain the item. Yes players who are being moved on or want to go can sometimes go for late picks . But even a pick 40 is a speculative pick. Lots of picks 40s have never made it .

Would be what swans need

Dare I say, are the Gold Coast winning the trade period? It's like, they're the only ones doing things.

Gee, the Suns have brought in some real quality this season.

How is he worth pick 59 and Hall is worth 68 and Scrimshaw a 10 pick upgrade in the third round.

Should have been Rhys Palmer style pick 135.

Fold this rubbish club already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back