List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He means the AFLPA would be concerned with a club's refusal to accept a reasonable trade in an instance where there were genuine personal issues.

I have no information that that is the case here, but that was what was inferred in the post you quoted. The AFLPA always take the side of the player not the club.

You also don't have to reply to me saying you don't think Gibbs wants to leave, or doesn't have issues, or whatever, because I don't care.

Can't say I really know how involved AFLPA get in these cases...I can't recall them saying anything during last year's trade period with the whole Gibbs thing.

I don't think they really get that involved with trades and contracted players. Can't remember them getting involved in the very public and messy McCarthy to Freo affair either where he sat out the entire year.

Inferring it won't be a good look 2 years in a row that a club holds a player to his contract when he wants to leave.
Nobody pointed a gun to Gibbs' head and forced him to sign a 5-year contract. If he changes his mind 2 years in, then that's his problem. There's nothing the AFLPA can do about it, and nothing they will do about it.

It might not be a "good look" for Carlton, but I really don't think they care about the aesthetics of the situation.

Can't say I really know how involved AFLPA get in these cases...I can't recall them saying anything during last year's trade period with the whole Gibbs thing.

I don't think they really get that involved with trades and contracted players. Can't remember them getting involved in the very public and messy McCarthy to Freo affair either where he sat out the entire year.
They don't. You have nothing to fear from the AFLPA. You didn't hear a peep from them last year, and you won't hear a peep from them this year. Gibbs was (and still is) a contracted player. Carlton are under no obligation to agree to a trade, no matter what Gibbs wants to do.

They don't. You have nothing to fear from the AFLPA. You didn't hear a peep from them last year, and you won't hear a peep from them this year. Gibbs was (and still is) a contracted player. Carlton are under no obligation to agree to a trade, no matter what Gibbs wants to do.

Thanks for clearing that up...that's what I thought. Would be a farce to have AFLPA pressuring clubs to force them to trade contracted players...a contract the player willingly signed.

When questioned on Gibbs everyone from our club is going to say the same thing trigg said...obviously gotta stick to that script.

Would be so stupid to be saying halfway through the season that Gibbs wants out...until trade week it's 'we are confident Gibbs will stay, he's a required player and contracted' every time.

Reliable sources on our board indicate he's virtually guaranteed go request a trade again end of this year though. Same situation as last year, he only gets traded if we are happy with the deal otherwise he stays with us in 2018.

Of course he's going to tow the party line, I was more in line of saying the party line isn't what always eventuates.
If he does request a trade to the Crows again I genuinely do hope it's a win-win for both clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gibbs on CH9:

Reporter :- 'Are you planning to stay at Carlton'

Gibbs :- 'I've got 2 years to go on my contract and that's all I've got to say'

Sounded to me like the Gibbs dance is gonna be on again this year.
Yep. You don't say that if you're planning on playing out your contract.

I'm sure Carlton and Adelaide posters alike are "looking forward" to the shitfight over what he's worth. o_O

I'm sure Carlton and Adelaide posters alike are "looking forward" to the shitfight over what he's worth. o_O

Cant believe its already been 11 months since the last time we all did that dance.

Hopefully it gets done early (there has been a year to work something out).

I'm thinking something along the lines of Lever to the (Dees?) their 1st rounder to you blokes, that pick goes to us (we ontrade with picks of our own to GWS for Kelly), and Gibbs goes to you blokes (with us paying some of his salary).

Something in that ballpark.

Cant believe its already been 11 months since the last time we all did that dance.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Lever to the (Dees?) their 1st rounder to you blokes, that pick goes to us (we ontrade with picks of our own to GWS for Kelly), and Gibbs goes to you blokes (with us paying some of his salary).

Nah, I reckon Gibbs is more the 18-30 range personally.

So effectively we give Lever for Gibbs? Did I misunderstand your proposal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, I reckon Gibbs is more the 18-30 range personally.
After last year we should offer up a late 1st rd or early 2nd rd...he 29 years old.
Blues got 1 more year out of Gibbs but missed out on Sam Powell Pepper...well done Blues...you won o_O

Any picks we get from the Lever trade should be off the table. I hope we would be willing to offer our 2017 first (pick 13-17) and throw in a 2nd or 3rd.

So effectively we give Lever for Gibbs? Did I misunderstand your proposal?

You trade Lever (uncontracted) to Melbourne (Pies also possible). Thats a seperate deal.

Gibbs in contracted for 2 more years, you're in a premiership window and in need of a player like Gibbs, so you pay a slight premium. You were willing to pay 13 + change last year. This year you'll have a pick in the mid teens, possibly a pick around 18 or so for Cameron and change, and whatever you get for Lever.

If it features in a Kelly to Carlton deal, im not fussed what the pick is really.

Any picks we get from the Lever trade should be off the table. I hope we would be willing to offer our 2017 first (pick 13-17) and throw in a 2nd or 3rd.

That also works (we would be ontrading it to GWS for Kelly in any event). If the Kelly thing falls through, I'd personally prefer your 2018 1st (likely also a high pick in the mid to high teens if you add Gibbs).

Hey, If you think you can grab a player that gets you closer to a flag in the next 3-4 years with a pick in the 20's go nuts.

And if we manage to win a flag this season after backing in organic growth? I am worried that we wouldnt even be willing to offer pick 17. You might have to give something back.

If Carlton are serious about going all the way to the top with this rebuild then they need to take what they can get for their older players. As it stands Gibbs and Kruzer are the only ones with any trade value whatsoever.

That also works (we would be ontrading it to GWS for Kelly in any event). If the Kelly thing falls through, I'd personally prefer your 2018 1st (likely also a high pick in the mid to high teens if you add Gibbs).
This feels a lot better than original proposal. Just think Blues missed out last year by not accepting 13...Gibbs not going to be there in next Prem window and could have had a SPP who would be.

so...

Adelaide
In: Gibbs
Out: Lever

Missing the extra top 10 pick coming our way

Fancy that, being trolled by a moderator ;)

If Carlton are serious about going all the way to the top with this rebuild then they need to take what they can get for their older players. As it stands Gibbs and Kruzer are the only ones with any trade value whatsoever.

But we also want to be careful we dont go 'full Melbourne' and dump too much experience and wrecking the confidence of the kids (and entering into a death spiral).

We played a lot of kids this year (5 x R/S noms) but we need a core of senior players to enable us to do that.

Take Gibbs out of our side this year and we would have lost at least one game (the GCS game where Bryce had 43 touches) and probably others (and likely would have been smashed a few more times). Its not good for the kids to get flogged weekly. As it stands we were able to remain competitive in most of our matches (even the ones we lost) which is much better for the development of the list and players we have.

Gibbs adds something to our side. We would want to be careful losing him due to the impact it may have on the list as whole.

We've now got some games into the kids, and another year in Docherty and Cripps to take up some of the leadership and corporate experience slack.

Im in favor of trading him if the price is right, but the advantage of an extra high pick needs to be weighted against the impact losing him would have to our developing side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back