• Darcy Fogarty

• Brodie Smith

• Lachlan Sholl

• Jordon Butts

• Reilly O'Brien

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to Rachele/ Pedlar playing > 50% mid eventually

Soligo I see as Laird long term replacement , pure mid and get some size around him
Lairds #1 wood is his speed over the first 2 mtrs .....of our current young crop, who do you think, if any, has the quick 2mtr sprint ?

To the eye, it certainly looks to be Rankine & Pedlar ?

The first it was mentioned was in a press conference the week after he spent the first gme this year in the midfield (i think it was after the port game)

And both nicks and dawson said it was dawsons idea.. he suggested it to Nicksy during the week before that game..

I clearly remember saying at the time that it was slightly worrying that it took a player to bring the idea up.. thinking surely Nicksy wouldnt be that closed minded not to see what a lot of people even on here could see.. that Dawson was being wasted in defence and should be playing in the middle or at least on a wing..
Yes.

My comment was about subsequent comment/s that they'd put 'a fair bit of mayo on' in the original press conference

The first it was mentioned was in a press conference the week after he spent the first gme this year in the midfield (i think it was after the port game)

And both nicks and dawson said it was dawsons idea.. he suggested it to Nicksy during the week before that game..

I clearly remember saying at the time that it was slightly worrying that it took a player to bring the idea up.. thinking surely Nicksy wouldnt be that closed minded not to see what a lot of people even on here could see.. that Dawson was being wasted in defence and should be playing in the middle or at least on a wing..
Not many thought he should be playing centre square mid

There were a couple though !

Lairds #1 wood is his speed over the first 2 mtrs .....of our current young crop, who do you think, if any, has the quick 2mtr sprint ?

To the eye, it certainly looks to be Rankine & Pedlar ?
Yep Soligo hasn’t got that but he’s got very good footy IQ and reading of the ball drop around stoppages and brings a bit more class

Rankine has it

Yep Soligo hasn’t got that but he’s got very good footy IQ and reading of the ball drop around stoppages and brings a bit more class

Rankine has it
That high Footy IQ by Soligo, compensates for his pace ....able to see & respond to the play quickly

Rankine has it

And very clean...avoided the dreaded Crows Fumblitis so far.

However Keays would rather play midfield. Sloane would rather play midfield. And our coaches would rather play them there.
Interesting post; food for thought.
Keays is on record saying he'll play wherever the Coach wants him to play and enjoys being given a specific job. Nicks has affirmed that, and Keays has done good jobs on Saad, Daicos and Worrell.
I like Keays as a two-way, hard-running connector and whoever runs with him is gonna cover some ground by match's end.
Sloane prefers midfield, for sure, but he must see the end coming even though he's said he wants to play next year. I think he'll get the discreet tap on the shoulder.
Dawson and Laird have featured strongly in AFLCA votes, but who goes in with them needs to feature more youth. Maybe Nicks is building that way for next year.

Yeah, we do have ...
... a coaching group that looks towards Saturday.
but I'd say all Clubs do.

Rachele looks absolutely cooked at moment , that one is a burgess call

Soligo I think needs to play in there quite a bit more in that second rotation

Pedlar is increasing his midfield minutes as season progresses

The main issue I see at moment is Sloane , I’d like to see Schoenberg.. he’s getting close to his last crack and he’s our best performed sanfl player full stop

Berry is struggling / battling .. doubt we see him properly until next year but fingers crossed he comes good this season , he might not come good ever is the reality
First of all, Rachele does not look cooked at all. A myth perpetuated by those justifying his lack of consistency.

Those quick to write off Berry are the usual trigger happy types. I wouldn't be writing Schoenberg off just yet either.

I thought we'd squeak into the 8 this year, but I don't take a lot of joy out of it happening on the back of old stagers, who should be role players now. We know what these blokes bring and, in the heat of battle, it's not enough. And yet here we are with the same old selections and positional moves, at the expense of lads who will spend another year on our list not exposed to AFL football.

I'm not happy that Nicks is putting ladder position in front of player development. His comment about percentage in the post match was informative. It tells us that he is coaching for the now (his job) rather than the future and it also tells us that he doesn't trust the kids.

"Youve got to get the kids to 50 games"

"You've got to play them in the spots where they can show their weapons'

Remember those mantras? They've disappeared as expectations on results have increased. Nicks has to remember that his job isn't to make finals this year, it's to build a contending team. I hope the Board remember that when weighing up his next contract.

First of all, Rachele does not look cooked at all. A myth perpetuated by those justifying his lack of consistency.

Those quick to write off Berry are the usual trigger happy types. I wouldn't be writing Schoenberg off just yet either.

I thought we'd squeak into the 8 this year, but I don't take a lot of joy out of it happening on the back of old stagers, who should be role players now. We know what these blokes bring and, in the heat of battle, it's not enough. And yet here we are with the same old selections and positional moves, at the expense of lads who will spend another year on our list not exposed to AFL football.

I'm not happy that Nicks is putting ladder position in front of player development. His comment about percentage in the post match was informative. It tells us that he is coaching for the now (his job) rather than the future and it also tells us that he doesn't trust the kids.

Remember those mantras? They've disappeared as expectations on results have increased. Nicks has to remember that his job isn't to make finals this year, it's to build a contending team. I hope the Board remember that when weighing up his next contract.
Was watching Rach run on Sat live , was a real battle, he looked sore . Still showed his class

Haven’t written Berry off , far from it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's admittedly (and fortunately) been a small sample size, but Dawson has actually been bad in defense this year though. As opposed to it just being a waste of his talents like last year.
  • 0-2 in the full games he played there.
  • He was clearly BOG in the midfield vs Port, but playing one and a bit quarters in the back line was enough to render that highly controversial.
  • Moving him back was a major factor in the loss to Collingwood.

It's admittedly (and fortunately) been a small sample size, but Dawson has actually been bad in defense this year though. As opposed to it just being a waste of his talents like last year.
  • 0-2 in the full games he played there.
  • He was clearly BOG in the midfield vs Port, but playing one and a bit quarters in the back line was enough to render that highly controversial.
  • Moving him back was a major factor in the loss to Collingwood.
Or is it him not being in the center that’s the issue?

Or is it him not being in the center that’s the issue?
Last year there were a lot of games where Dawson got 25-30 possessions and had a good game. But generally the comment was "yeah, but imagine the damage he could have done further up the ground!" Rarely did he have any actively bad games.

I don't think there's been a single example meeting that description this year. Even when adjusting for the fact that it is usually only 15-25 minutes at a time. It's all been Brownlow-adjacent form on the ball or bad/disappointing performances in the back line.

I’m not expecting a response, as with the nicks interview I posed when he admitted he made a mistake.
They repeatedly just ignore the evidence.
Still getting over a LEGS win
Salty GIF

I agree with all of this.

There are obvious reasons why the Showdown win was the most enjoyable this year: arch rivals, and probably the best team we'll beat this year.

I think the real reason though is who was responsible. It hit so much better to get the result off the back of big time performances by Rankine, Thilthorpe, Pedlar etc because of what it represents or could mean about our future.

It's peak Crows fan to think that thrashing the worst team in football a week after conceding nine consecutive goals is party time.
No one has said its Party Time apart from you right here. Most of us actually think we are still building a young group of players who are learning momentum control and how to manage fading in and out of games which is pretty common place for youth.

Brisbane conceded 8 goals to 1 against Hawthorn last week, is it time to move Neale and Dunkley to HF and throw some youth in the middle?

No one has said its Party Time apart from you right here. Most of us actually think we are still building a young group of players who are learning momentum control and how to manage fading in and out of games which is pretty common place for youth.

Brisbane conceded 8 goals to 1 against Hawthorn last week, is it time to move Neale and Dunkley to HF and throw some youth in the middle?

If it's not party time, why can't people be critical?

Brisbane are a weird team to flex about. They're almost certainly going to waste their window.

We just couldnt stand that momentum control and consistency of the old Gold Coast players like checks note first year player Humphrey.

Here you go, he did less work this year with the mids than last.
That doesn’t sound like a planned midfield move to me.

I don’t even think it was planned to be much more than a one off spark for the team. Dawson wanted to make a statement against Port and got Nicks to start him in the middle - it worked so well they have left him there!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t even think it was planned to be much more than a one off spark for the team. Dawson wanted to make a statement against Port and got Nicks to start him in the middle - it worked so well they have left him there!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It’s not even a slight on nicks that it wasn’t his idea, from memory we tried him last year and he looked like a fish out of water and he was great down back.
Just the fan boys can’t seem to get their head around that it wasn’t a nicks set plan this year.

Back