Gorringe, Nicholls and Smith; Who's interested and what are they worth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so sure about the needs last year. We had Reddo and Lobbe who were still borderline on whether they could make it, but had Boak, Ebert, Hartlett, Gray, and Broady for the engine room. Champion data had our midfield ranked 8th in the comp at the end of last year not including rucks, but our ruck division was the worst in the comp.

I think Gorringe to Port will come down to if Gorringe wants to come home, giving us the leverage. If we finish 8th we get picks 11, 29, 47 as far as I can tell. 11 is for all intents and purposes off the table, and GC will probably want more than 29 given what they paid for him. Given Renouf is from that way, maybe 29 and Renouf will get it done? Obviously won't be your best 22 ruck, but is good enough to step in as depth when an injury happens. Aaron Young is another one that has shown promise but is struggling to beat Monfries, Wingard, and Gray for that HFF/mid spot. Matt Thomas could also step in and be pretty close replacement for Brown.

Ahh the old Bigfooty trick, offer up the junk or has-beens to get a quality prospect.

Good luck, I'm out.

At least I came up with a potential scenario that's feasible and worth debate.

Ahh the old Bigfooty trick, offer up the junk or has-beens to get a quality prospect.

Good luck, I'm out.

At least I came up with a potential scenario that's feasible and worth debate.

Well it's not feasible or worth debate because we won't pay it. I'm saying that the trade might not happen because what I suggested would probably be what Port offer, and GC are going to want more than 29 and a fringe player. Additionally, Young is far from junk or has-been. He's in a similar position to Gorringe in that he has potential but just has a few really talented guys locking down his position.
As I pointed out in a previous post, there's a fair few rucks going around at the moment who were traded for around pick 30, Gorringe probably won't be much different.

What is Gorringe's contract status?

GC and Port are hard-ball players. I can't see either of them getting close to agreeing to anything.

I think no deal would be done and then Gorringe would re-sign after deciding not to risk the PSD and a trip to GWS.

Are there any Crows players who may put there hand up for a move to the coast? Not that I can think of any.

Gorringe is out of contract at the end of this year. The only way he will stay at Gc is if Nicholls leaves! Gc don't want any of our fringe players as they need to cull their list. I'm happy that Kenny has a gauge on Gorringe's value and a deal will be done. If the deal involves our first pick it would want to involve a lot more than Dan. Anyway, I would feel much better if someone could explain why Dan has been so poor this year and assure me that he will improve a lot. He isn't particularly strong or fast and he doesn't attack the ball. He looks like a neat player but without some aggression he could become redundant. I'm not a Dan hater just a doubter.

GC thinking they can get a first rounder for Gorringe is just wishful thinking.

Good players fall out cheaply when they can't get a game in the position they want.

Gorringe is 3-4 in line a a ruckman for GC and will therefore fall out for a 2nd rounder.

at the start of the year port had 3 rucks. one super talented freakish but raw kid in redden , lobbe who has a midfielder level beep test and renouf.

there was promise there but lots of uncertainty. with reddens form before his injury and lobbes form this year that uncertainty has been replaced by some excitement.

at the start of the year i was pretty keen on gorry. as the year has gone on and our rucks have gotten better and gorrys year has been racked with lots of little injuries and absolutely poor games at afl level. i didnt expect him to set the afl on fire. not at his age, its not the lack of what he did at afl level but more what he didnt do when given the chance. most have noted he looked timid. maybe time and some confidence will change that.

in any case as a ruckman with promise he would hold currency, but a lot of teams would be looking at him on his athletic merits or pre-draft hype/games , because while no one expects a young ruck to establish themselves they do expect them to show some signs in terms of application and being able to physically handle afl level training and matches.

the only deal i can see happening from port for Gorringe is second rounder pick 25-28. Port won't trade out of top 12, I personally have the talent dropping off at pick 4 and again at about 12 and 30. as suggested earlier it's not going to be a 2 port for 1 GC as the suns have list size reductions. just cannot see a deal being done, something else would have to budge maybe a 3 way trade, or extra GC player etc.

Are there any Crows players who may put there hand up for a move to the coast? Not that I can think of any.

Nah, i doubt it as well. If we are to get him it will be via a 3+ team trade.

Seriously anything better than a 2nd round pick for Corringe then Conlon as a first round pick becomes a better option

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since 2005 rucks taken in top 10: Ryder, Clark, Leunberger, Kreuzer, Nic Nat, McEvoy, Vickery, Longer and Gorringe. That's a pretty good strike rate there. The first 6 are great players.

Outside of the top 10 there are a fair few failures, so I guess the lesson is don't reach for ruckmen, but talented ones are worth paying top dollar for.

this every day of the week

Gorringe will be a decent ruck men and even if you want a solid one, I'd still happily pay "top dollar" for him.

Was trying to make the point of a high draft pick that had been plagued by injuries.

You won't trade John butcher but Gorringe is worthless

ah okay. a bit off though as you cant compare the two players.

butch has kicked a couple of bags if i remember and continues to show some very good signs at afl level, the only concerns are his body holding up and his kicking while it seems to do the job can easily revert back to old habits.

not the same.

anyway, the point is that gorringes value is somewhere between ports first round and 2nd round pick, but closer to their 2nd then first. and regardless of his value considering ports developing rucks we dont have a pressing need for gorry , and have no factors forcing us to take the rawer end of the deal.

your best bet is to get him to re-sign , or hope he will be happy to go somewhere outside of south australia in a trade. as soon an he says he wants to SA then it becomes a deal where your going to take the rawer end of the deal. a rawer end of the deal wouldnt involve port giving up their first.

He (Hickey) had shown glimpses, including a cracking game against collingwood where I think he got 11 contested marks?
8 marks (7 contested, which was apparently the most anyone in the comp took in a single game last year), 19 possies (14 contested) and 24 hitouts in that game. Then followed it up with some more contested marks the following week and a couple of goals and 18 hitouts against us, in just his 4th year playing the game, having taken it up at 18yo in Qld.

Apparently the thing that caused late interest in him from at least one other club and that resulted in us relenting and giving up pick 13 (for him and 10 or more pick upgrades in the following two rounds), was the AFL announcing (just a few days before we did that deal) the new ruck rules, that were likely to make it a lot easier for anyone on the thinner, but more athletic side, like him, to compete in ruck contests (the ball to be thrown up immediately around the ground and no grappling before the ball is thrown up).

Another thing that made us very keen on him was the fact that he has a big tank and with the proposed interchange caps expected to come in, he was seen as someone who would be very well suited by all the new rules, with his ability to play for long periods without needing a rest.

Pick 29 and Renouf for Gorro is just laughable.

Dan has shown FA aside from that huge mark that never got paid but if you think GC will accept Renouf and Pick 29 when we have 3 rucks who are already miles ahead of him you are delusional. And pick 29... are you serious? We have to cut down our list we dont want some lappo picks.

i also agree gc will have no interest in renouf.

pick 29 for gorry would not be a great result for you guys.

none of that still equals port giving you their 1st round pick. they are not over a barrel to obtain him. as i said the best bet for gc is to re-sign him or hope he is not set on coming back to sa. once he decides he wants back to sa you will get the rawer end of the deal. the rawer end in no way will involve any permutation where port give up their first. it would be stupid of port.

can also understand the argument of you not using another pick, but does that argument mean you are not chasing any player that a pick 29 could be used , or could package pick 29 and your 2nd for an earlier pick?

in any case , im sure pick 29 is not fair for gorry , but its a lot closer than pick 9-11 for him.

to be honest i would be hugely surprised if we end up with gorry end of the year. gc have every right to hope they retain gorry or they can work a 3 way trade or he selects a melb club , but you would be overly optimistic if you think you will get ports first.

Why does Gorringe have to go to Port? He has never showed any signs of wanting to go to SA.... couldn't he go to a Melbourne club just as easily?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back