Grigg sub on Thompson off

Remove this Banner Ad

97-98

All Australian
Oct 11, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Unless I'm missing something, how did Grigg start the match of as a sub and yet went on field and played whilst Thompson was still not subbed off for about half the third quarter?

Unless I'm missing something, how did Grigg start the match of as a sub and yet went on field and played whilst Thompson was still not subbed off for about half the third quarter?

Concussion sub (for Laird I think). Grigg went on for 20 minutes then went off. He was officially subbed in for Thompson later on.

Does anyone find it interesting that more and more clubs are using this "concussion" 20 minute rule, and the player who was being assessed for concussion ends up going back on, the sub is rested and comes back on in the third? I think the coaches have figured out a way to add to their rotations! ;)

Does anyone find it interesting that more and more clubs are using this "concussion" 20 minute rule, and the player who was being assessed for concussion ends up going back on, the sub is rested and comes back on in the third? I think the coaches have figured out a way to add to their rotations! ;)
i was thinking the same thing during the game, pity we didn't still have tippett we could have done it regularly

Nice observation :thumbsu:

Would be worth sending it off to a journo or one of the footy discussion shows. Would get a run I reckon

2 related things I thought were strange about the concussion sub rule... I reckon today was the first time we used it.

1. The player must stay off for 20 mins - I always thought it was "up to" 20 minutes. Makes it a bit annoying when the guy has been cleared and is just sitting there watching the clock.

2. Why is it 20 mins of game time, as opposed to 20 mins of real time? Surely the whole point of the rule is to give the medicos some time to assess and make a decision. If someone gets whacked in the head 5 minutes before half time, and the assessment is completed during the break, why do they have to sit around for the first 15 mins of the 3rd quarter when they've been cleared?

2 related things I thought were strange about the concussion sub rule... I reckon today was the first time we used it.

1. The player must stay off for 20 mins - I always thought it was "up to" 20 minutes. Makes it a bit annoying when the guy has been cleared and is just sitting there watching the clock.

2. Why is it 20 mins of game time, as opposed to 20 mins of real time? Surely the whole point of the rule is to give the medicos some time to assess and make a decision. If someone gets whacked in the head 5 minutes before half time, and the assessment is completed during the break, why do they have to sit around for the first 15 mins of the 3rd quarter when they've been cleared?

Maybe to stop teams giving players 5 - 10 minute rests during a game, and turning the sub player into an extra rotation.. not sure, but also thought that why wouldn't clubs use it more often.

Get the subs "fresh legs" twice during the match and rest 2 players.

Why would you ever sub a player out who wasn't injured. Just do the concussion sub thing, in case a player gets injured after you have decided to sub out a player who is still ok to be out there. Is there anything to stop this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back