Club Focus GWS Giants 2022 - Bedford, Cadman, Rowston, Jones, Gruzewski, McMullin, Davis

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

I think this one is a bit different. It's sounds very much like GWS is quite comfortable letting Taranto and Hopper go. Taranto definitely wants to stay, but GWS are refusing to stump up the cash. Hopper almost left last year, and is now considering it again, most likely because he knows the big $$ won't be offered to him at GWS. Bruhn and Hill want to go to Victoria though, but for reasons other than money.

I think GWS want to position themselves to have the cap space to be able to trade for needs, rather than having it all tied up in mids.

It's good list management imo.

Paying 4 players close to $4million is not good list management.

THATs why they are shedding players and cant pay market rates, they over paid for stupid long term deals.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the bounty of picks they will have this season.

My tip is they will take Hewett. WA lad who wont be chased by 10 Viv twams from day 1.

I can't see our first being in play now given our likely finishing position.

They wont trade either taranto or hopper for a pick in the 20s so your first would have to be in play even if they send a later pick back.

19 is about right, yeah.
I think 19 isn't enough. Would have to sweeten it or try and upgrade it to a pick around 15. Or we go the other way and give GWS our pick 8-10 and get something back with Hopper.

We're normally quite easy to deal with so the club may just offer up our first to get it done, but personally I wouldn't. That type of pick could get us another Gibcus-level talent if we choose wisely.

Sounds like Hopper is Richmond-bound if he leaves.

Taranto seems to be linked to the Pies more than anyone else, but that may not mean they're the frontrunners. The Pies seem to shout about who they're after in the media whereas other clubs try to keep things quiet.
I think the Pies link just gets more clicks so journos put it in the headline

Conversely, no one other than cats fans want to see headlines about players joining the cats so it's is always in small print and mentioned behind other clubs if there are any

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 for Hopper is about right isn't it? Certainly not worthy of pick 9.
I think he is definitely worth 9. Especially since he is contracted next year.

So they have picks 3, 12, 15, 18 (likely), 19 and 44. They may get 31, and lose something for Bedford.

What’s the gameplan? Trading F2 & 21 for 15 indicates less picks, but they still likely have more than they need. Upgrade, trade into 2023, salary dump?

The issue with the first two is top 4 picks and 2023 picks appear to be considered much more valuable than teens picks this year.

On the salary dump, all of Haynes, Whitfield, Coniglio, Kelly and Greene are on big salaries. How desperately (if at all) are they to get 1-2 of those off the books?

How many list spots do they even have?

So they have picks 3, 12, 15, 18 (likely), 19 and 44. They may get 31, and lose something for Bedford.

What’s the gameplan? Trading F2 & 21 for 15 indicates less picks, but they still likely have more than they need. Upgrade, trade into 2023, salary dump?

The issue with the first two is top 4 picks and 2023 picks appear to be considered much more valuable than teens picks this year.

On the salary dump, all of Haynes, Whitfield, Coniglio, Kelly and Greene are on big salaries. How desperately (if at all) are they to get 1-2 of those off the books?

Will the last to leave please turn out the lights?
I am being asked to autorenew my membership, will do so as parking at scg is too hard, otherwise would join swans membership.

Would have to think they'll be trying to package those picks up to move up the order for 2-3 inside the top 10... Would be extraordinary to be bringing in potentially 7 draftees in a single year

A hand of 3, 6, 8 and 44 would be more reasonable I'd think. How they get those picks? Buggered if I know. The top 10 has teams who would be desperate for a real early talent after a few years being up and about.

So Excited Reaction GIF

"You get pick! You get a pick!"

Would have to think they'll be trying to package those picks up to move up the order for 2-3 inside the top 10... Would be extraordinary to be bringing in potentially 7 draftees in a single year

A hand of 3, 6, 8 and 44 would be more reasonable I'd think. How they get those picks? Buggered if I know. The top 10 has teams who would be desperate for a real early talent after a few years being up and about.
I'm guessing we'll try and move forward and push some into next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back