List Mgmt. Hawkins signs long-term deal

Remove this Banner Ad

lol but nope. signing any injury prone player for five years is risky.
You keep saying "injury prone"

In 2012 he played 22 out of 23 games
In 2013 he played 22 out of 25 games
In 2014 he played 24 out of 24 games
In 2015 he's played 10 out of 12 games.One of those games he didn't play was due to his mothers death.

So much for your "injury prone" theory :rolleyes:

In 2015 he's played 10 out of 12 games.One of those games he didn't play was due to his mothers death.

In 2013, he could barely move during games. Hawkins isn't injury-prone and his back hasn't been a prominent issue since 2013, though it seems the affliction has impeded certain elements of his play. However, it's still a lingering issue that could re-appear, and we need to be wary of that. Given that he has never been as bad as he was in 2013 since, it may never get that bad again, and let's hope it doesn't in the next five years. We have to trust that the medical staff and Hawkins have a good idea of where he is physically and an understanding of how likely a prospect a recurrence of his debilitating back problems is.

It's understandable why people may be concerned, but in the current climate of more liberal player movement, all clubs are signing their top stars for longer in order to take them off the market. Hawkins, despite his back problems, was a hot property key forward and a five-year deal may have been the most frugal move to keep him on the list.

Last edited:
H - Happy
A - As
W - With
K - Kontract
I - Is
N - Nice
S - Stuff

I don't even know I'm bored :p

Damn McL, I've been finding the going tough with no footy for nearly 3 weeks but seems others are being hit hard too.

EVERY Geelong player is "injury prone"…..get it together Jubby

Congratulations Geelong and Hawkins. It is always good to see a champion of a club stay a one-club player. Really loyal players like this who aren't driven so much by the money are invaluable to clubs. I think making players feel valued and respected is crucial to encouraging that. It seems Geelong have that down pat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see him re-signed. But a 5 year deal is pretty gutsy of the club. I suppose commercially we had to be competitive with the market place in order to keep him.
It will come across that way, yeah yotc. Especially w his back query ? Hopefully that's over now, and whatever the meds and conditioning team did too get him back this yr...bottle it. Let's hope big hawk get's the best key fwd crown back off trav cloke next yr uh ha uh ha

Love the personalised emails from the club announcing good news like this. Ever since Adam McNicol came on board, the club's media and communications seems to have improved enormously.
I feel that we as a footy community here should partly take credit of that as well since the club did look at the communication thread (or at least lied to us and said they did :D )

Seemed a certainty, but I am happy it was realized with a definitive long-term deal.

I reckon Tom is the heart and soul of the place. The boys would just love to have their loyal, lovable, big brother around the place.

I know some players allegedly aren't too bright, but do all their contracts have pictures in them?
It's just the club and AFL logos silly billy.

Just quietly, Hawkins is leading the league in contested marks, eighth in average goals and is a very good chance to finish the H&A season on 50+ (needs 14 in four games). If this is a down season, I'm looking forward to his rejuvenation.

Great post. Totally agree, though would like to see him lead more.

Great post. Totally agree, though would like to see him lead more.

Yes, his leading is way down, he's doing a lot more stand-and-wrestle.
More than 1/2 his marks this year are contested - 43/80.
Previously it was a much lower ratio of less than 1/3 - 263/803.
A very small part of the discrepancy may be down to the fact that he seems to be dropping more marks on the lead this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back