Analysis Hawks 2022 Hypothetical trades (read the pinned post)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly, the "No Kane Cornes" Rule is back

Last edited by a moderator:

Obvious reasons for Jack to have his mind on other things.

Would be more chance of Jack retiring than moving to Brisbane.
Would be shocked if Jack left Melbourne after never wanting to leave in the first place. Family and friends are all here, loves the hawks and his (Melbourne Sandbelt) golf!

That trade won't be a win. This is a loss for us. But we have to move on if that's what Jack wants.
Sort of

Surely also isn't our problem that they are getting a free agent compo, i know we will take a token pick to look after a great servant and get him where he wants but i kinda wish we would say to the Lions you can sign him and lose the compensation or give us something of worth for him.

The bitter part of me though can't help but be frustrated that we will once again lose a club legend for nothing after the past couple years where he has had no interest in leaving and we could have received a decent return for him.

I didn't really want to trade him over the past couple years but i was open to it for the right price, however as soon as trade period ended last year i have been adamant that we need to retain him because losing him for nothing is just a big loss.

Any chance Brockman for Sam Sturt would work for both parties? Wouldn’t mind Sturt as another medium forward option.

Sent from my iPhone using
quite sad isn't it? DGB was a top 5, perhaps could have gone Pick 2, just shows even top 5 picks, no guarantee of success. I guess there is no other way of getting top talent. If you knew was a huge risk, you might as well trade or split picks for more looks at talent. If strategy is to go for talls first, then build midfield, there is a good forward this year or another backman.
Who is saying dgb was a top 5 pick?

Sort of

Surely also isn't our problem that they are getting a free agent compo, i know we will take a token pick to look after a great servant and get him where he wants but i kinda wish we would say to the Lions you can sign him and lose the compensation or give us something of worth for him.

The bitter part of me though can't help but be frustrated that we will once again lose a club legend for nothing after the past couple years where he has had no interest in leaving and we could have received a decent return for him.

I didn't really want to trade him over the past couple years but i was open to it for the right price, however as soon as trade period ended last year i have been adamant that we need to retain him because losing him for nothing is just a big loss.

The thing is, Sam is overseeing a new era. It will be interesting to see what he does. Plus, Gunston is very much a required player. Let’s see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot might depend on how Mitchell wants to set up. We don’t necessarily need a ton of key forwards. Especially if we play a faster, rebound gamestyle.

Means we will need to get more value out of our smaller forwards than we have so far. Also means we will have to avoid just dump kicking the ball inside 50

Someone from your board mentioned the Hawks were enquiring with the Eagles about upgrading your pick 6 to our pick 2.

Mentioned Brockman but then someone said DGB.

Now Rioli is baulking at the Eagles low offer with other clubs circling.

How does pick 2 plus Rioli sound.

For pick 6, 23 and future 2nd and Brockman?

Would mean Breust 31 may move and you would get a 2nd round compo back. Rioli three years younger.

Pick 2 either a gun mid or Sheezle, who could be both. Breust compo pick 24 still gets you a good 2nd round pick.

Sheezle and Rioli certainly adds some serious class at half forward with stints on ball.

Someone from your board mentioned the Hawks were enquiring with the Eagles about upgrading your pick 6 to our pick 2.

Would mean Breust 31 may move and you would get a 2nd round compo back. Rioli three years younger.

Pick 2 either a gun mid or Sheezle, who could be both. Breust compo pick 24 still gets you a good 2nd round pick.

Sheezle and Rioli certainly adds some serious class at half forward with stints on ball.
We're paying overs, maybe. The jist of it is in the right direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's awful for us sorry mate.

Rioli has little trade value and rumours are Simpson has lost faith because he's lazy and doesn't apply any pressure.

You're effectively asking for two early seconds and Brockman for a four pick upgrade.

Based on my quick points calculation, our side of the trade is worth 3,712 points (assuming that we end up next year at the same spot) and your side of the trade is 2,763 based on where Rioli and Brockman were taken in the draft. The difference is the equivalent of a Pick 18.

The Hawks would pass on that offer.

A bit shocked to see all these suggestions about trading DGB to West Coast in a packaged deal to get pick 2. My mail is that he is happy and commited to Hawthorn and quite settled in Melbourne. Could be a risk of go home factor later on in his career certainly.
I don’t think it’s real. Think it might be what WCE would want (or maybe have even suggested is needed) to trade pick 2. I have my concerns on DGB but given the way the club has backed him in with afl opportunity hard to see us trading him.

A bit shocked to see all these suggestions about trading DGB to West Coast in a packaged deal to get pick 2. My mail is that he is happy and commited to Hawthorn and quite settled in Melbourne. Could be a risk of go home factor later on in his career certainly.
It’s all about Pick 2.

We want a shot at grabbing one of Wardlaw or Tsatas.

We're paying overs, maybe. The jist of it is in the right direction.

Lets say Rioli is a future 2nd, you guys are improving nicely so say around pick 28 NEXT year. Thats fairish?

6, 23 plus Brockman for pick 2 really isnt far off. In fact some on the Eagles board think that is unders. They want a top 6 pick plus another 1st in the teens.

Absolutely. Net = massive loss. We need to salvage what we can if the rumours are true. Best case we announce a new 2 year deal next week
There’s the short term loss on field (and off field mentorship) and also the longer term loss of no compo (due to getting Amon in / likely nominal trade value as UFA). Just a bad outcome all round if he decides to go.

The only upside is it forces us to fast track new faces in our forward line as we have a reasonable reliance on Gunston/Breust to score. But in short term forwards are going to find life a lot tougher without gunner taking a good defender.

A bit shocked to see all these suggestions about trading DGB to West Coast in a packaged deal to get pick 2. My mail is that he is happy and committed to Hawthorn and quite settled in Melbourne. Could be a risk of go home factor later on in his career certainly.
Someone last week mentioned the go home factor with DGB which in-turn sparked a bunch of trade ideas for pick 2. Then a bunch of our posters confirmed that he was happy and settled and committed to stay longterm. At the end of the day it's the list management + welfare people's job to know if players are unsettled so you just have to leave it with their judgement as that's what they're paid to do. Unfortunately with any player from another state you will always have trade rumours an innuendo about them going back to their home state which we have witnessed ourselves with Breust and others.

Excluding player swaps what is pick 2 worth.

6 plus 23 falls short IMO.
Pick 2 is worth whichever team is willing to pay the highest price. That is what your list team will push for by getting all the other clubs to bid against each other to spike the price. The point system only really matters for F/S + academy bids but will be used as a measuring device for teams to get as close to as possible.

It’s all about Pick 2.

We want a shot at grabbing one of Wardlaw or Tsatas.
I get that, they are fantastic prospects. But Denver doesn't want to go. I really hate the idea of pushing out a young commited player out the door that wants to stay. DGB could be the next Jeremy McGovern, just needs time to develop.

6+24 actually equates to more point's then pick 2 alone. I would throw in brockman to try get it over the line or a future second (24-28) for a future 3rd. (37-38) . I don't think the draft is that clear cut at the top end that someone will offer a godfather deal like some clubs were willing to for jhf last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back