Autopsy Hawks: 30 minutes not enough for 4 points...

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a few queries on him.

Pace is an obvious one, but his decision making is another that concerns me.
Apart from being a defensive/lock down mid, can he do anything else? Can he be an accumulator? Or a clearance winner? Can he play across half back or up forward?

Looks a bit one dimensional to me.

Thought cousins had a reasonable game in a midfield that generally got smashed. Has a nice step on him. Rushed a few disposals but wasn’t alone in this.

Wouldn’t mind if howe was replaced by JOR, especially if Langford comes in as well. Howe needs to find a few tricks. Don’t think worpel has done enough at BH.

We need to keep working to find a midfield group that works when Tom/JOM aren’t dominating. Other than JOM and impey we’re a bit one paced at present.

JOM - 16 disposals @ 56% and 4 clangers.
If you are going to reference clangers at least know that free kicks against count as a clanger. Of which JOM had 3 free kicks against yesterday.

Thought cousins had a reasonable game in a midfield that generally got smashed. Has a nice step on him. Rushed a few disposals but wasn’t alone in this.

Wouldn’t mind if howe was replaced by JOR, especially if Langford comes in as well. Howe needs to find a few tricks. Don’t think worpel has done enough at BH.

We need to keep working to find a midfield group that works when Tom/JOM aren’t dominating. Other than JOM and impey we’re a bit one paced at present.
Worpel will be sitting out a 2nd week if he doesn't debut. Worps got tagged last week over Cousins & O'Rourke

Anyone noted JOM spending a huge amount of time away from the contest? His numbers were well down and his defensive work-rate was almost non-existant.

Being at the game my cousin said he looked more proppy than usual but I didn't notice it to be honest, he certainly wasn't winning the footy as well, his awareness is still a work in progress, to many times he steps into traffic rather than giving the footy away. Let's see how he goes down in Tassie, one bad game after 4 solid outings is nothing to be concerned about.

Their pressure in the first half was as good as the Tigers.

The problem was that we had no tempo control from the back half. No easy kicks or marks to relieve the pressure. We didn't seem to set up for them... just the long bomb.
Needed one of the tall fowards or ruck to take a contested mark from the kickouts or a kick after those to ease the pressure.

That just didn't happen at all in the first half. Never seen a half of football so one sided against us.

Didnt we finish 11 th or 12 th last year. that is clearly not OK for the Hawthorn football club.

Based on the games without most of those players we'd have played finals. It was the damage was done when we had those players in the side at the start of the year that meant 12th was the best we could do.

I’m pretty sure goldy was asked about it after the game and his response was something along the lines of “felt like a fly on my face” so don’t think Mitchell has anything to worry about..

He shouldn't have, and wouldn't have, except that the AFL media keep raising the question. Unlike the trip/kick by Selwood on Boak which seems to have been swept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.

He got.... wait for it............... cleared.
Ha ha ha.

Mitchell, in my mind, wasn't cleared as he was fined. Was wondering if the same thing happened to Burton.

I was at the game yesterday and i just was dumbfounded by the way we played, not only that but north played amazing. There was nothing we could do to stop them. the big thing i noticed though is James Frawley, that performance was utter s**t. He needs to be dropped, he fumbled, was too slow and just paid no attention at all. I was watching him when we had the ball in our area and he was literally standing doing nothing at all (not giving direction and taking none).

Anyone got Sicily incident vision?
Must be pretty serious to be referred directly to tribunal but nobody has been mentioning it?

Apparently squished Atley the ants leg.

Geez if Sicily's conduct was so bad it warrants a straight to tribunal call then we are lucky the morons commentating missed it. If they saw it he'd cop the full force of trial by media and be suspended for the rest of the year!

That said, does anyone have any footage?

We are clearly not a premiership contender after our performances 2 of the last 3 weeks and IMO our future ain’t looking too bright either. Sure, our start this year has been a whole lot better than last year but if you look at our best performers it hardly paints a promising picture.

JOM, Tom and Sicily have been in our best 10 this year but after that you are looking at names such as Breust, McEvoy, Stratton, Gunston, Smith, Shiels and Henderson. Maybe throw Impey in there too but it is hardly our youth doing the heavy lifting. When you consider too how important Burgoyne, Rioli and Puopolo are I think we may still have some pain ahead of us.

I hope I am wrong but I fear that rumours of our “6 month rebuild” have been horribly inaccurate.

We are clearly not a premiership contender after our performances 2 of the last 3 weeks and IMO our future ain’t looking too bright either. Sure, our start this year has been a whole lot better than last year but if you look at our best performers it hardly paints a promising picture.

JOM, Tom and Sicily have been in our best 10 this year but after that you are looking at names such as Breust, McEvoy, Stratton, Gunston, Smith, Shiels and Henderson. Maybe throw Impey in there too but it is hardly our youth doing the heavy lifting. When you consider too how important Burgoyne, Rioli and Puopolo are I think we may still have some pain ahead of us.

I hope I am wrong but I fear that rumours of our “6 month rebuild” have been horribly inaccurate.

We're still rebuilding. Will be for some time. Always are to some degree.

Doesn't mean we can't have a good season still or that we can't be even better next year.

One thing the past few years have shown is that s**t can change real quick in the AFL these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back