Club Focus Hawthorn 2022 - Amon, Stephens, Meek, Greene, McKenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, O'Sullivan, Macdonald, Mitchell

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Cunning lot at Hawthorn, Mitchell a sneaky bastard when he played and has masterminded this trade period to make sure they grab the Spoon in 2023 and the coveted number one pick!
I don't really think we're a lock for the wooden spoon. The majority of our best 22 for 2023 have been getting regular firsts games this year. We're not throwing many if any untried kids to the wolves. I think we'll be bottom 4 but we'll have a few upset wins. Apparently next years draft is super strong, so pretty happy to get a f2.

We have moved a lot of experience on but we played a large chunk of this year without Mc Evoy due to his neck fracture, so Reeves and others had their exposure.

We've played without Mitchell for a season before and Worpel played his career best season when he was out.

I honestly think we'll be competitive against most sides next year bar 4-5 at the top end, but I think the team bought into the new game style and played really exciting footy this year.

Still got a few senior players. Especially their Back and forward lines. That's probably a good thing. Dogs had 0 inside mids over 25 in the midfield except roughy and Mboyd had moved back. They got a bunch of picks in the 3rd round they might be able to trade to Dons or Lions to upgrade to the 2nd round. They need mids. Probably 1 high quality inside mid and 2 inside/outside mids. Finally some running defenders with late picks. 2 years I expect competitively close to the 8.

Three years ago Hawthorn were the 3rd oldest team in the competition. Once the final list lodgement is confirmed, they will likely go into 2023 with the youngest list. This goes to indicate just how much of a list turnover Hawthorn have had the last two years. No team has had more retirements during that time frame either. Only six Hawthorn players will be over 27 next year. :oops:

30+
Breust

27-29
Frost
Sicily
Wingard
Impey
Amon

24-25
Hardwick
Lewis
Scrimshaw
Reeves
Lynch
Meek
Morrison
Nash
Bramble

18-23
Newcombe
Ward
Jiath
Day
Grainger-Barras
Moore
Worpel
Stephens
Serong
Koschitzke
Long
MacDonald
Butler
Maginness
Brockman
O’Hara
Morris
Blanck
Ramsden
Jeka
S.Mitchell
Saunders

Actually think they did fine. People don’t realize how much Clarkson stuffed that list up post 2015.

Finally getting rid of most of the dead wood. If we don't go hard now, then we'll be a middle of the road team for yonks. I applaud the club. We had to trade 2 of Mitchell, Omeara, Worpel. Worpels age probably saved him. I thought we did great. Don't think we deserved to be compared to St Kilda at least.

I don't really think we're a lock for the wooden spoon. The majority of our best 22 for 2023 have been getting regular firsts games this year. We're not throwing many if any untried kids to the wolves. I think we'll be bottom 4 but we'll have a few upset wins. Apparently next years draft is super strong, so pretty happy to get a f2.

People are forgetting how bad Roos and WCE are, and how bad GWS went despite all their stars.

Three years ago Hawthorn were the 3rd oldest team in the competition. Once the final list lodgement is confirmed, they will likely go into 2023 with the youngest list. This goes to indicate just how much of a list turnover Hawthorn have had the last two years. No team has had more retirements during that time frame either. Only six Hawthorn players will be over 27 next year. :oops:

30+
Breust

27-29
Frost
Sicily
Wingard
Impey
Amon

24-25
Hardwick
Lewis
Scrimshaw
Reeves
Lynch
Meek
Morrison
Nash
Bramble

18-23
Newcombe
Ward
Jiath
Day
Grainger-Barras
Moore
Worpel
Stephens
Serong
Koschitzke
Long
MacDonald
Butler
Maginness
Brockman
O’Hara
Morris
Blanck
Ramsden
Jeka
S.Mitchell
Saunders
That's a bad list.

Sicily and bruest are A graders.kids can come good or go bust. i see another mini rebuild before competing.could be uncompetetive next year from midway through.

Just lost their best and most influential player for peanuts.

Trying to offload two of their better senior players on the last day of trade week for the second consecutive year.

Probably the spoon favorite at this stage.

Wait we lost Sicily?

Or do you mean Newcombe?

Surely you aren't speaking of Lewis?

Or perhaps you meant Moore?

We were going to lose Mitchell and JOM next year anyway for peanuts.

We've effectively replaced them with Meek (who replaces McEvoy) and a future 2nd pick (likely top 30 if tied to the Bulldogs) in what is being spoken about as the strongest draft in the last 10 years, and Stephen's who is a big bodied mid and former 1st round pick who can replace JOM.

We have no Gunston replacement unfortunately but to extract value out of a situation where we had very little opportunity to receive value is at least some positive. Only way I see Gunston being replaced is if we have a fully fit Wingard who we put on ice early this season to hopefully get him cherry ripe for 2023. Big if given his injury history.

Doom and gloomers have always be frothing over us for a while now. We were spoon contenders according to the media this time last year as well...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still got a few senior players. Especially their Back and forward lines. That's probably a good thing. Dogs had 0 inside mids over 25 in the midfield except roughy and Mboyd had moved back. They got a bunch of picks in the 3rd round they might be able to trade to Dons or Lions to upgrade to the 2nd round. They need mids. Probably 1 high quality inside mid and 2 inside/outside mids. Finally some running defenders with late picks. 2 years I expect competitively close to the 8.

Probably the one thing we don't need is another running defender (Jiath, Day, Bramble, Scrimshaw, Impey is probably enough). The rest is indeed correct.

We need a long term partner for Lewis if Kosi doesn't improve in 2023.

We did realise and pointed it out ad nauseum. Hawthorn fans believe they would top up and go again, claimed the draft was overrated and Clarko was a God.
Turns out we were silly to back in a 4 time premiership coach. Who knew?

Now he’s at north he’s a “master coach” once more, just don’t mention the Hawthorn list or our last 5 years.

30+
Breust

27-29
Frost
Sicily
Wingard
Impey
Amon

24-25
Hardwick
Lewis
Scrimshaw
Reeves
Lynch
Meek
Morrison
Nash
Bramble

18-23
Newcombe
Ward
Jiath
Day
Grainger-Barras
Moore
Worpel
Stephens
Serong
Koschitzke
Long
MacDonald
Butler
Maginness
Brockman
O’Hara
Morris
Blanck
Ramsden
Jeka
S.Mitchell
Saunders

North had the following list profile at the start of 2021. We have a far better 24-29 year old core. We will hold up fine. Maybe backwards a few spots on the ladder but around the 15th-12th mark IMO.

30+
Ziebell
Goldstein
Tarrant
Hall

27-29
Anderson
Garner
Cunnington
Polec
Atley
Walker
Campbell

24-26
Corr
Simpkin
Dumont
turner
Menadue

18-23
Mahony
Stephens
Taylor
Scott
LDU
Atu
Mckay
Powell
Larkey
Bonar
Young
W.Walker
TT
Phillips
Edwards
P.Walker
Ham
Lazzaro
Spicer
Hayden
Comben
Xerri
Perez
Ford
Mcguiness
Zurhaar

30+
Breust

27-29
Frost
Sicily
Wingard
Impey
Amon

24-25
Hardwick
Lewis
Scrimshaw
Reeves
Lynch
Meek
Morrison
Nash
Bramble

18-23
Newcombe
Ward
Jiath
Day
Grainger-Barras
Moore
Worpel
Stephens
Serong
Koschitzke
Long
MacDonald
Butler
Maginness
Brockman
O’Hara
Morris
Blanck
Ramsden
Jeka
S.Mitchell
Saunders
Wow,
Going to be different footy for Karl Amon.
Someone like Sicily hasn't played as much finals footy as I would have expected. Might be a few years coming too.

I'm sure Hawthorn have asked the AFL how heavily they can front load a giant contract offer for some of the young up and coming stars like Noah Anderson, Hayden Young, JUH etc..

Our board was full of people from 2016 until Clarksons final days who were against that strategy.
I'm sure there were. There were also a lot of Hawthorn posters defending the strategy and mocking other clubs posters for pointing out the obvious.

This was always going to happen. It's good that it has happened but the cliff is going to be much steeper than if they accepted this 5 - 6 years ago and started building through the draft and getting foot soldiers to get you through.

I'm sure there were. There were also a lot of Hawthorn posters defending the strategy and mocking other clubs posters for pointing out the obvious.

This was always going to happen. It's good that it has happened but the cliff is going to be much steeper than if they accepted this 5 - 6 years ago and started building through the draft and getting foot soldiers to get you through.

The strategy was contingent on landing free agency targets to bolster the trade. The idea in principle was to extend the window in a way Geelong has done.

Unfortunately we missed out on every single key target we chased in Coniglio, Whitfield, Cameron and Lynch.

Luckily our drafting and development has been excellent. We have a young core group of 20-23 year olds who have built the nucleus of our future finals side. I see a few more years of top end talent coming through and hopefully competing deep in finals by 2025/2026.

Im glad Mitchell is doing this properly. Add another top 3 talent next year and keep on building.

Looking forward to watching the kids grow together over the next couple of years, its been a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back