Prediction Hawthorn Guernsey Numbers in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'm a minority opinion on this around here but I like that no player gets the number 1. The fans thing doesn't really matter to me. But I do like that no player walks out with the top number. I think it symbolically reinforces the culture that no one is special, everyone plays their role.

I think it's just silly, and it's very un-Hawthorn-like to do silly things.

I know I'm a minority opinion on this around here but I like that no player gets the number 1. The fans thing doesn't really matter to me. But I do like that no player walks out with the top number. I think it symbolically reinforces the culture that no one is special, everyone plays their role.

Exactly this - just a subtle way of saying there's no No 1.

Incidentally, is Ryan Burton now going to get a blonde rinse?
It goes with the territory!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If my memory serves me correct, the number 5 is also significant for the Burton family as that was the number that his father, Craig, wore when he played for North Adelaide.

If my memory serves me correct, the number 5 is also significant for the Burton family as that was the number that his father, Craig, wore when he played for North Adelaide.

Correct. His father was the sole goal kicker in North Adelaide's 1989 GF attempt. It prompted the humorous comment that North Adelaide took the field with one goal in mind :)

Found it funny when they asked Hanrahan what number would he like to wear eventually and he says "No 3, but Tom Mitchell will be having that for a while" before Tom had been presented to the crowd.

Below is the official list that was available at Waverley this morning but they forgot to put asterisks behind the recent rookies of Fitzpatrick, Hanrahan and Cousins.

Would still like to see No.1 return - from at least 1921 (in the VFA) until 1954 that guernsey was offered to the captain and in all bar a handful of seasons was worn by the Hawthorn skipper and is therefore a very significant guernsey in our clubs' history and a pity that it is now considered only worthy to be dished out to random fans.

upload_2016-12-10_15-16-34.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back