NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
No, the email (and the reply, if genuine) may confirm that at least one of the allegations was made contemporaneously. Nothing more, at this stage.
Oh, contemporaneously, such an impressive word. Can't see why you would use it on here though, unless you were trying to big note yourself and make out you were someone you're not.

Wow. Just wow…
What he said was 100% correct. Would you be happy if in a defamation case, they found in someones favour, that it was 51% more probable that something was true than not true?
Even in a criminal trial. its beyond "reasonable" doubt, not ALL doubt......

SiCk ClUB SePaRateS YoUnG PlAYEr FRoM HIs Mates

An example of a club forcing a young player to do what's best for him.

This isn't a troll, this is an example of how indigenous people are treated differently and I believe to their detriment.

Last edited:
How else do you respond to that???? Staggering stuff

If you think that courts are about the truth you probably also think that govt ministers and shadow ministers all argue from the heart with a high degree of intellectual honesty, and aren't captured by "party discipline".

What he said was 100% correct. Would you be happy if in a defamation case, they found in someones favour, that it was 51% more probable that something was true than not true?
Even in a criminal trial. its beyond "reasonable" doubt, not ALL doubt......
Wut? And you think there’s another mechanism to find the truth beyond ALL doubt?

Oh yeah, and what if they delisted him and he couldn't afford the repayments. If they actually advised him on financial matters, he could sue them. Unless the advice was from financial planners. Of course, if he's delisted and can't afford his house, he also can't afford to sue them. Funny how that power imbalance which starts at the club doesn't stop there.

Honestly, does nobody work in a job and understand that employers shouldn't be involved in any of this stuff at all, unless they appoint professionals to provide that advice?

More of the report has been leaked.

Thanks for that

Some of the redaction doesn't make sense eg redacting the reference about yarning (the name of journal) not sure what is being "protected there". Or which organisation is reaching out to RMIT on behalf of the players (my assumption is that it is binmada themselves)
Others of course make sense (in terms of players/ coaches)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Report finding Point 2 - Give us $$$$$$$$$$$$
reparations for harms caused makes sense, I don't know what else could be done that helps now.
(and point 2 also mentioned a public apology)

Finally the AFL have a problem they won't be able to smooth over so they come out looking sweet.

The Newbold email and his response show this really did happen. There will be very high profile casualties, as there should.

AFL is a corrupt boys club but have met their match this time in the brave players who have finally spoken out.

Will be a fascinating but heart wrenching watch, will over shadow the 2023 season, no quick AFL fix this time.
Just on the Newbold email, he’s denied that he sent it and I’ve read posts from others declaring that the format, the texts changes and the fact he’d respond on his phone suggest that it’s been doctored or is fake.

I’m no expert on whether that is true or not, but the fact people are saying it or think it adds another level of s**t*ery to this cluster*.

I am starting to wonder who knew about this and for how long.

I reckon Gil and HFC knew the details before the report was even commissioned.
Im not convinced that HFC knew before it was commissioned, as then the approach would likely have been to bury Riolis claims and not actually commission a report. As in if HFC knew what is the gain for doing a report?

This isn't a troll, this is an example of how indigenous people are treated differently and I believe to their detriment.

And every club would have bucket loads of similar examples.

Let's see where on the outrage meter this sits.

I do find it a tad hypocritical (well more than a tad) around the outrage on the topic at hand compared to the opposite reaction to the Goodes issue. Goodes was an easy target and so quite a few of the outraged posters in this thread were happy to put their position forward that all the actions weren't racist. And yet they're mighty quick to hang the Hawks quartet.

Go take a look at the Goodes thread and do a search on poster names. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Wut? And you think there’s another mechanism to find the truth beyond ALL doubt?
It's never actually beyond ALL doubt, it's beyond reasonable doubt. Even a DNA match isn't actually beyond ALL doubt.

I think the point is that organisations need to make judgements on the balance of probabilities. I think most people here throwing Clarkson and Fagan to the wolves is that there's probably not much at this point that they could say which would change their mind. In my mind, the only way I'd say they shouldn't be sacked is if they can prove they weren't even there and were in a different state and it was somebody else. Which is Hiiiiighly unlikely, beyond reasonable. But this isn't a criminal case, it never will be, the bar is much lower than that anyway.

If they come out and say they thought they were doing the right thing, they're still cooked in my eyes. Because they didn't do the right thing (which was to stay out of it). Well-meaning is not an excuse for an employer going to a persons house to break up their family.

Did I say that?
I do agree with this though: "A properly constituted Independent inquiry (possibly established under the Victorian Inquiries Act) is not aimed at allocating guilt but searching for the truth and recommending a path to resolution, reform and justice".

Oh yeah, and what if they delisted him and he couldn't afford the repayments. If they actually advised him on financial matters, he could sue them. Unless the advice was from financial planners. Of course, if he's delisted and can't afford his house, he also can't afford to sue them. Funny how that power imbalance which starts at the club doesn't stop there.

Honestly, does nobody work in a job and understand that employers shouldn't be involved in any of this stuff at all, unless they appoint professionals to provide that advice?

Absolutely agree on this point. Imagine 3 alpha males coming in to solve a delicate relationship issue. Recipe for disaster...oh wait

And every club would have bucket loads of similar examples.

Let's see where on the outrage meter this sits.

I do find it a tad hypocritical (well more than a tad) around the outrage on the topic at hand compared to the opposite reaction to the Goodes issue. Goodes was an easy target and so quite a few of the outraged posters in this thread were happy to put their position forward that all the actions weren't racist. And yet they're mighty quick to hang the Hawks quartet.

Go take a look at the Goodes thread and do a search on poster names. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Burgoyne has come out and said it was his greatest shame in his time in the game (words to that effect) that he let the Hawthorn higher ups sweep the booing under the rug as probably not racist. He and everyone else knew it was and didn't do enough. But that shouldn't be up to one player.

Anyone who was denying that booing was racist should definitely not be getting on their high-horse now.

Im not convinced that HFC knew before it was commissioned, as then the approach would likely have been to bury Riolis claims and not actually commission a report. As in if HFC knew what is the gain for doing a report?
Good post. I still am a believer that the club should be applauded for doing the report. And for passing it on when they received it.

Ed would have been first with pitchfork in hand demanding others face severe consequences if they said the same thing, especially if they werent part of his boys club. He really should have fallen on his sword after the King Kong fiasco.
“If I’m asked to stand down I will…”
Of course no one dared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back