Analysis Hawthorn v North Melbourne AAMI Community series clash, Saturday March 6th 4.10pm at Arden Street

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought our start to the game was really poor. Shades of 2020. Can't do that in round 1.

We did play some of the best football we have in quite a while in the 3rd Q which gives us hope but still a lot of really ordinary disposal throughout the game. The centre square was ordinary yet again. Ball movement looked far superior to 2021 at times which is also pleasing.

The pleasing thing is that all of Kosi, Brockman, Downie all look the goods and were influential. Hartigan is a worry. Phillips is a great pick up just needs to tidy up his kicking at times but a ball magnet so we are starting to assemble a midfield with good ball winning ability.

Thought our start to the game was really poor. Shades of 2020. Can't do that in round 1.

We did play some of the best football we have in quite a while in the 3rd Q which gives us hope but still a lot of really ordinary disposal throughout the game. The centre square was ordinary yet again. Ball movement looked far superior to 2021 at times which is also pleasing.

The pleasing thing is that all of Kosi, Brockman, Downie all look the goods and were influential. Hartigan is a worry. Phillips is a great pick up just needs to tidy up his kicking at times but a ball magnet so we are starting to assemble a midfield with good ball winning ability.

Did you watch the game against the Dogs last week? Absolutely nothing to worry about with Hartigan.

If he's a Bennell level talent....... Gawd damn

This comparison is a salient reminder that there are no sure things in the AFL.

If he's a Bennell level talent + improved off field decision making skills & calves....... Gawd damn

I thought the first half looked like two poor sides battling it out(with some intermittent encouraging stuff). Watching the second half tonight. Looking forward to that a bit more now after your post.

Did you watch the game against the Dogs last week? Absolutely nothing to worry about with Hartigan.
He is a battler.

A very important battler for us.

Not great with the ball in hand which has been his knock all career but not quite where I thought he was going to be defensively from what I have seen so far. I hope he can go up a level in the real stuff we need him to.

The fact he struggled with walker (who’s not very good) has to be of some concern as we don’t have a heap of alternative tall options. While there’s frost if we want a 2nd tall back we probably are looking at Hartley or BB again or pinch hitting with scrim.

Frawley was cooked by the end but had been pretty bloody reliable for a long time taking the teams best tall forward and breaking even / neutralising them

Our key backs always take time to learn the system when we bring them in.

Lake, Gibson, Frawley, Frost all had to get up to speed in the first couple of months of joining us. Some did it easier than others.

Hartigan will be no different, and from what I saw on the weekend people are far to quick to judge him for things that every defender wound gave got done on - e.g playing in front while the ball gets dumped over his head to the space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a battler.

A very important battler for us.

Not great with the ball in hand which has been his knock all career but not quite where I thought he was going to be defensively from what I have seen so far. I hope he can go up a level in the real stuff we need him to.
Not saying he can't lift on his defensive performance but we have replaced two poor disposers by foot in Frawley and Stratton with one.

Our key backs always take time to learn the system when we bring them in.

Lake, Gibson, Frawley, Frost all had to get up to speed in the first couple of months of joining us. Some did it easier than others.

Hartigan will be no different, and from what I saw on the weekend people are far to quick to judge him for things that every defender wound gave got done on - e.g playing in front while the ball gets dumped over his head to the space.

We play a team defence and often if you see a player getting exposed its not solely their fault but an overall miscommunication or misplay by the 6 in general

Do they turn the mics down/off for the other umpires? Same for a game with Ray involved?
Wow! Her voice is somewhat different from the rest of the ... shall we say... male voices. Of course they don't turn it down for the other umpires but their voices are easier to confuse, so if all the umpires are male, you don't (unless it's a look at me mum I'm an umpire type like razor) notice a specific umpire anywhere near as much as you do for someone whose voice stands out as so different from the others, so every mistake she makes it's her and you know it's her. Every pearler of a decision is also her too though, so there is that.

The AFL site offers way better statistical info than I remember them giving before.

Something I didn't appreciate as much watching the game was that Ceglar kind of dominated the ruck against Goldstein and Campbell.

(RC = Ruck Contests, HO = Hitouts, HitAdv = Hitouts to advantage, HitAdvR = Hitout to advantage rate, TC = Total clearances, SL = Score launches)

Screenshot_20210312_105839.jpg

Almost half of Ceglar's Hitouts were to advantage which is absolutely elite for a ruckman and much better than Goldy or McEvoy. 5 clearances is also huge and he led the ground easily for score launches (Phillips had 5 and then a few players had 3). He wasn't a huge marking presence but those numbers show that his influence from the ruck contest was elite, mostly against a good opponent.

More of that, please!

The AFL site offers way better statistical info than I remember them giving before.

Something I didn't appreciate as much watching the game was that Ceglar kind of dominated the ruck against Goldstein and Campbell.

(RC = Ruck Contests, HO = Hitouts, HitAdv = Hitouts to advantage, HitAdvR = Hitout to advantage rate, TC = Total clearances, SL = Score launches)

View attachment 1075656

Almost half of Ceglar's Hitouts were to advantage which is absolutely elite for a ruckman and much better than Goldy or McEvoy. 5 clearances is also huge and he led the ground easily for score launches (Phillips had 5 and then a few players had 3). He wasn't a huge marking presence but those numbers show that his influence from the ruck contest was elite, mostly against a good opponent.

More of that, please!
And it’s also great that as a ruck division, we had 9 clearances to their 3, and 10 score launches to their 3.

I think both of them should play in Rd 1 even though it will be at Marvel.

View attachment 1075656

More of that, please!
They're excellent stats. I'm a bit of a stats nerd and seeing this next level of detail gets me, as Big Kev would say, EXCITED!

Spot on w/ your analysis as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back