News Hodge to play for Brisbane Lions from 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

What a absoulte s**t show! When I learnt today Clarkson offered hodge a last minute 1 yr deal and hodge politely declined. Why the f was this not properly discussed earlier.

I luv hodge and always will. I have no problem with him pro long his career and I luv my club but it's a poor effort on another legend.

no sources in this story? Just a “Fox understands”

GW already said the club was hoping for a little more, and those discussions would no doubt involve the coach. Just an attempt to make it sound like Clarko was on the warpath again, but the reporter is the only one saying it.

So I suggest making nothing of it.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No Abasi, you are wrong on this one.....He is not the young lion ( ha ha) he once was but as a general on the field, well we all saw what he could do... he deserved this chance at Hawthorn.. his club, our club. fagan is no fool... he jumped at it.....
Reminds me of an old Persian addage:
When I was young I thought a lion was a lion even if it were old.
Now that I am old I realise old is still old even if it is a lion.

4 * AFL Premierships
3 * AFL Premiership Captain
2 * Norm Smith Medal
3 * All Australian Team
2 * Peter Crimmins Medal
Hawthorn Captain 2011 - 2016
International Rules Series 2005,2014,2015
AFLPA best Captain Award 2014
Jim Stynes Medal 2014
AFL Rising Star Nominee 2002

And 2 Wooden spoons to come......

have you seen what's happening down the M1 from us?

Starting to wonder if this is not one of those AFL engineered things to give the Qld teams a boost, especially now we know he was offered another year at Hawthorn.
The AFL hates us so it's possible.

Starting to wonder if this is not one of those AFL engineered things to give the Qld teams a boost, especially now we know he was offered another year at Hawthorn.

Of all the things they oculd have done to give us a "boost" this would have had to have been the most difficult and convoluted to achieve.

The AFL hates us so it's possible.

I don't think the afl care about us enough TBH

I don't think the afl care about us enough TBH

Correct - the Gold Coast is their current plaything/constant problem. Ever since they joined, the Lions' struggles have been largely ignored by the AFL. If the AFL wanted to do more to help the Lions then they would help you either get out of the Gabba and get a new stadium solution out west - or at the very least help muscle the BCG a bit on getting drop-in pitches at the Gabba.

Getting Hodge is a small benefit compared to the some of the bigger problems that plague your club.

Correct - the Gold Coast is their current plaything/constant problem. Ever since they joined, the Lions' struggles have been largely ignored by the AFL. If the AFL wanted to do more to help the Lions then they would help you either get out of the Gabba and get a new stadium solution out west - or at the very least help muscle the BCG a bit on getting drop-in pitches at the Gabba.

Getting Hodge is a small benefit compared to the some of the bigger problems that plague your club.
When GCS was 'born' Brisbane was cut off at the knees, being told that anything south of the city was no longer their domain despite the previous commitment they had invested in the area. It was a blinkered approach imo, 'landing' a team onto the Gold Coast as the pnly team as opposed to letting both teams go at each other in a competitive manner to win hearts and minds, and create genuine rivalry.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

When GCS was 'born' Brisbane was cut off at the knees, being told that anything south of the city was no longer their domain despite the previous commitment they had invested in the area. It was a blinkered approach imo, 'landing' a team onto the Gold Coast as the pnly team as opposed to letting both teams go at each other in a competitive manner to win hearts and minds, and create genuine rivalry.

On SM-G935F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed - all it really did was cut a chunk of the Lions fanbase off who then became Suns fans. Granted there were probably some ex-pats who lived on the GC who didn't like the Lions who probably jumped onto the Suns bandwagon also. Rather than grow the fanbase in SEQ - it just fractured it more than anything. Not to mention the Gold Coast has a long, long history of failed sporting franchises and low crowd support.

A rivalry is tough to develop too. A lot of Suns fans were probably Lions fans previously - so there's no real hate there. I dare say there is probably a degree of Suns hatred in Lions fans because they are the favourite child while the Lions have languished. However - Queenslanders are an odd breed and support anything Queensland. I know a whole stack of Broncos fans who were disappointed but not remotely angry or upset about losing the 2015 grand final because they lost to the Cowboys. I know a lot of Lions fans also who don't mind seeing the Suns do well because they are a 'Queensland team'.

This is why I see the future of the Suns being up north and probably in Cairns. The Lions could then move 2-3 games to Metricon each year to keep it tenanted. Cairns Suns would still work as would the colour scheme - there is a health AFL following up there already and the Lions would be 1,600 kms away so both teams would have a massive region to themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot about North Melbourne. The AFL loves them at the moment.

Brisbane are such a rabble its laughable.

Silver lining about Hodge going there means the AFL will fixture us to play them twice a season for the next 2 years. 4 guaranteed wins right there.

Perception will usually trail reality. This year was the first year in the last few where I genuinely think we didn't really deserve the spoon, but it was the year we got it. There's a long way to go but it would appear that a lot of the off field issues have been rectified this season (from a footy dept pov). Will still take a bit of time though.

Perception will usually trail reality. This year was the first year in the last few where I genuinely think we didn't really deserve the spoon, but it was the year we got it. There's a long way to go but it would appear that a lot of the off field issues have been rectified this season (from a footy dept pov). Will still take a bit of time though.

How long until the Springfield training facility becomes a reality? That is the biggest thing for you guys - it's hard enough to retain players when your side is down the ladder, but when your facilities are the league's worst then it becomes a nightmare. Add Yeo and Docherty to your side and you have a great defensive unit - it's not the Aish and Polec departures that have hurt the Lions - it is the lesser known players who have become guns elsewhere.

Brisbane is heading in the right direction. Fages is the key, he makes good decisions.

How long until the Springfield training facility becomes a reality? That is the biggest thing for you guys - it's hard enough to retain players when your side is down the ladder, but when your facilities are the league's worst then it becomes a nightmare. Add Yeo and Docherty to your side and you have a great defensive unit - it's not the Aish and Polec departures that have hurt the Lions - it is the lesser known players who have become guns elsewhere.

All a bit unknown at the moment. They've started groundworks and we've got funding for the base facilities. Trying to get the state govt to chip in to expand our community facilities and get lights/grandstand etc for the womens team. I'm guessing part of that will ensure some extra training facilities including probably a fully synthetic second oval. FWIW Fagan commented on arrival that our facilities weren't that far off what the hawks had (not that thats a glowing assessment from what i've heard) although ours are spread over two locations. 2019 mid or end i'd say would be a likely time perhaps.

Also Docherty was a pick 12 and Yeo 25 so not really unknowns. At the time most of us were gutted to lose Yeo more than any of the others due to what he showed in his last year in brisbane. Docherty had only shown glimpses. No matter who they turn out to be, losing 12 of 15 first round picks since 2003 hurts. Still plenty of that is our own making as well, you just have to hope that in bringing in Hawthorn and Adelaide personnel and IP will help us avoid something like this in the near future.

Part of the long term issue I think Brisbane will continue to face is the lack of credible board members long term up here. Its not a position a lot of people apply for and it limits our ability to have quality long term plans and continued strong governance.

All a bit unknown at the moment. They've started groundworks and we've got funding for the base facilities. Trying to get the state govt to chip in to expand our community facilities and get lights/grandstand etc for the womens team. I'm guessing part of that will ensure some extra training facilities including probably a fully synthetic second oval. FWIW Fagan commented on arrival that our facilities weren't that far off what the hawks had (not that thats a glowing assessment from what i've heard) although ours are spread over two locations. 2019 mid or end i'd say would be a likely time perhaps.

Also Docherty was a pick 12 and Yeo 25 so not really unknowns. At the time most of us were gutted to lose Yeo more than any of the others due to what he showed in his last year in brisbane. Docherty had only shown glimpses. No matter who they turn out to be, losing 12 of 15 first round picks since 2003 hurts. Still plenty of that is our own making as well, you just have to hope that in bringing in Hawthorn and Adelaide personnel and IP will help us avoid something like this in the near future.

Part of the long term issue I think Brisbane will continue to face is the lack of credible board members long term up here. Its not a position a lot of people apply for and it limits our ability to have quality long term plans and continued strong governance.
Fagan's still a Hawk deep inside his heart...

JK he probably hates us now.

Don't worry, Hodgey and Fages are really on a secret Hawthorn mission... er, not sure what but that has the be the reason they've gone to the Lions, right? o_O

Making sure they don't move us to tassie and take your sponsorships? Is that why Evans is at the Suns too now. Geez they must be paying you guys well to play down there, thats a lot of cider, pinot noir and scallop pies!

Making sure they don't move us to tassie and take your sponsorships? Is that why Evans is at the Suns too now. Geez they must be paying you guys well to play down there, thats a lot of cider, pinot noir and scallop pies!
Sorry to make this a three way but regardless of what we get paid to play slash get sponsored by the Tassie government, the reason the deal is good for the Hawks is that it saves us posting a loss and stumping up cash on gate takings after hosting low drawing interstate games at the MCG or docklands.
Hard enough getting money in without having to give it back.

1 club players are "old fashioned" and I think this is the new way footy is heading... It might sound like I'm being facetious but i'm half expecting Burgoyne to be playing at another club in 2019 (as silly as it sounds)...

It actually got me thinking about Michael Tuck, it's no secret that he wanted to play on.. In the modern game he definitely would have moved on to another team. Listening to sen1116 this morning and this topic came up, Gary Lyon actually said that Tuck was very very close to playing with Melbourne in 1992... I never knew that :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back