How does Labor win the next federal election/elections to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Health Services Union’s NSW branch drops Labor affiliation (news.com.au)

this is great news for the ALP

In Vic the CFMEU, plumbers, health, and public transport unions are also chucking a tantie over the party cleaning out Somyurek's stacking, so hopefully they leave too.

the reason the 50:50 preselection is in place is union affiliations. no more affiliations, no more millstone of union conflict issues

Which makes you wonder why she's living in America?

I'll have a read.

There are a few possible reasons why a Finn would want to live in the US:
1) Married an American (not that likely; Americans who go down that route tend to prefer South Americans or Asians)
2) Studied in the US and has a tenured university job in the US
3) She's comfortably above middle-class - life in the US is still good if you can afford it

Also, US weather on the whole isn't great by any means, but it's probably better than Finland's.

Not that you'd move to a place just for the weather, and AUS generally has both beat when it comes to the weather.

Wow. How generous by labor. Electric car tax break. As impressive as a 10% discount on ferraris or tax break on buying lamborghini. And batteries to go with those electric cars aswell.

Man this policy applies to working class people. Now people on 40k wages can afford an electric car that no longer cost 200k but 160k now!!! They also can buy replacement batteries easy at a low low price of 20k per replacement! So out of touch.

Tesla Model 3 starts at $66,900 now. Pretty soon it'll be on a par with a Toyota Corolla for affordability over five years.

MG ZS - $44k
Hyundai iONIQ $45k
Renault Zoe - $48k
Nissan Leaf - $55k
Hyundai Kona - $60k
BMW i3 - $69k
Tesla S - $105k
Jaguar i-Pace - $120k
Tesla X - $150k

so none of the cars currently on sale are selling from $160k as someone claimed.

MG ZS - $44k
Hyundai iONIQ $45k
Renault Zoe - $48k
Nissan Leaf - $55k
Hyundai Kona - $60k
BMW i3 - $69k
Tesla S - $105k
Jaguar i-Pace - $120k
Tesla X - $150k

so none of the cars currently on sale are selling from $160k as someone claimed.

Never let facts get in the way of a good scare campaign.

Electric vehicles will be at parity within 5 years as it stands. Not an issue worth jumping up and down about i would have thought.

Chalk up another win for the market economy though.

This is what pisses me off.

Idiots like THE KRAKEN sook when govt supposedly forces these kinds of changes, but the private sector makes its own mind up.

For cars, manufacturers are all indicating to move away from solo ICE within the next 3-9 years. No govt mandates, they are choosing it. Why? They see what consumers are wanting, and there is no point investing billions in engines that will have lesser demand.

Even power stations. In Australia we have govts actually pleading with the private sector to build new coal plants. They won't. Why? They are looking at futures where carbon is monetized, and their business model cannot be justified without govt paying for the thing.

When the private sector doesn't want ICE, why would any govt design a future where they are our primary motor?

This is what pisses me off.

Idiots like THE KRAKEN sook when govt supposedly forces these kinds of changes, but the private sector makes its own mind up.

For cars, manufacturers are all indicating to move away from solo ICE within the next 3-9 years. No govt mandates, they are choosing it. Why? They see what consumers are wanting, and there is no point investing billions in engines that will have lesser demand.

Even power stations. In Australia we have govts actually pleading with the private sector to build new coal plants. They won't. Why? They are looking at futures where carbon is monetized, and their business model cannot be justified without govt paying for the thing.

When the private sector doesn't want ICE, why would any govt design a future where they are our primary motor?
I know it's rhetorical, but because governments are not rational actors. It's just another part of the masses of public policy that is just allowed to sail through because the voters are entitled to the parliaments they elect.

I know it's rhetorical, but because governments are not rational actors. It's just another part of the masses of public policy that is just allowed to sail through because the voters are entitled to the parliaments they elect.

i still remember years ago we had Kennett and a member of federal cabinet come out to open a factory my firm were involved in

they spoke about how their great work made this foreign investment in Australia possible, how victoria was leading the nation in innovation thats to state govt polices, yada yada yada

it was all BS

quite literally the only govt involvement in our project was the FIRB sign off, and council permits for the site

private sector did all the work, yet poli's take a victory lap

people have no idea how little what govt do or say impacts upon private sector decisions.

case in point - WFH. every firm im talking to is making their own decisions, noone is following rote their state govt advice on how much to return to the office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i still remember years ago we had Kennett and a member of federal cabinet come out to open a factory my firm were involved in

they spoke about how their great work made this foreign investment in Australia possible, how victoria was leading the nation in innovation thats to state govt polices, yada yada yada

it was all BS

quite literally the only govt involvement in our project was the FIRB sign off, and council permits for the site

people have no idea how little what govt do or say impacts upon private sector decisions.

case in point - WFH. every firm im talking to is making their own decisions, noone is following rote their state govt advice on how much to return to the office

From what I’ve heard, state government departments aren’t following the state governments advice!!!

From what I’ve heard, state government departments aren’t following the state governments advice!!!

What does that have to do with anything in my post squib?

it was all BS

And the adoration from the public that some receive is all out of proportion from what is deserved (plenty to pick from, not worth debating)

That's been going on since Phillip stepped off the ship.

Small target, IR reform, Renewables and infrastructure, No woke issues - Jim Chalmers as leader, Tanya as Deputy.

In the run up - be as nasty as s**t about Morrison up to the election. The women problem for the Libs will continue and should be continually called to task on it. They can't be modern about women because the mad religious nutbags that run preselections believe woman are either lowly hand maids like Jen or "she asked for it" whores. They need vicious Lee Attwater type ads on that issue, The failures are banking up

Last edited:
The other thing Labor needs to do right now is STFU.

All they need to do is subtly point out this governments many, many failures.

Their performance speaks for itself. Don’t distract from it.
That is the best course of action. I'd add that if they could also have popular ALP state premiers link their own wins to federal labor it will go a long way.

Get a non-threatening, jollyish leader without political scars.

They lost the last election because of Shorten. End of story.

I’m not convinced Albo can do it. Chalmers could.
Do you think Plibersek could fit the criteria? I thought she dealt with Craig Kelly quite well. Not sure how much the country likes female leaders but it certainly fits the current political moment.

That is the best course of action. I'd add that if they could also have popular ALP state premiers link their own wins to federal labor it will go a long way.

They're insane if they announce anything.

The government has no policies on anything and is ******* useless.

What happens is Labor announce something, and the government goes into opposition mode and bashes them over the head with it, with the help of their partners in the media.

They did it last election to everything Shorten announced.

It (a) gives them something to beat Labor with, because they don't have their own policies, and (b) distracts from their own criminality and incredible incompetence.

The best course of action here is to STFU, quietly match anything the govt "offers" the electorate (which will be * all, they have no imagination and no policies worth a pinch of s**t), and just continually point out the corruption and incompetence of the government.

This government is beyond terrible. Why the * would you distract from it?

Others will disagree, but it's the only pragmatic way to win the next election.

Do you think Plibersek could fit the criteria? I thought she dealt with Craig Kelly quite well. Not sure how much the country likes female leaders but it certainly fits the current political moment.

Nope. She's female, and she'd be bashed to hell by the media about her husband's history.

Another for the "sad but true" file.

Nope. She's female, and she'd be bashed to hell by the media about her husband's history.

Another for the "sad but true" file.

Himbo Marles is not up to the job. Give Tanya deputy again - she cuts through and agree the laudable fact that her husband has pulled himself out of a morass of crime and addiction does not seem to cut it with the worshippers of bootstrap lifters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back