Free Agency Hugh Greenwood joins North Melbourne as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think this is as bad for GC as people are making out . They have a massive list size that will need to be trimmed back and so many young talented kids who need game time .

Greenwood on big money coming off an ACL is a waste for a team not contending.

Fiorini came in and showed he is a better footballer than greenwood so its already a win . Fiorini may not be a tackling machine like greenwood but knows how to find the footy

Then you have all of Rowell , Anderson and Hollands needing games pumped into them in their preferred positions and money to keep them

Greenwood didn't do an ACL.

This is strange.

The club I follow and buy a membership for every season is usually a laughing stock during the offseason.

Now the club seems to be winning. Like, really winning.

This is a change of events I'm happy with.

Well, I think I'm happy.

I don't know these feelings.

I don't think this is as bad for GC as people are making out . They have a massive list size that will need to be trimmed back and so many young talented kids who need game time .

Fiorini came in and showed he is a better footballer than greenwood so its already a win . Fiorini may not be a tackling machine like greenwood but knows how to find the footy

Then you have all of Rowell , Anderson and Hollands needing games pumped into them in their preferred positions and money to keep them
Who is coming off an ACL?

Sun's in no man's land so poorly operated did the same to Lyons to one of there better players. Funny thing is afl just as bad rewarding failures after another with a priority pick work it out.

This

It’s as terrible a list management decision by North as it is by the Suns.

North already has a few inside mids, GC doesn’t. North is supposed to be in a rebuild and you sign a near 30yr old.

Just after they punted Lyons GC cried about how they didn’t have experienced players to play in and under midfield, yes they actually said that after pushing Lyons out the door. It was bizarro world stuff.

They’ll do the same around rd18 next season. Like they do every year saying the young players struggle at the end of seasons and they need bigger bodies. They are a joke.

Reckon you're going fairly overboard here.

Greenwood is a fine pick up and is more than just an inside mid, he's also a good option as that awkward forward match up too, he's more than decent up there and I think he can do a job as an accountable midfielder too if need be. They just chopped Dumont, who whilst is as vanilla as they come, still managed 14 games last season after 17 the year before. Big upgrade on him. Anderson is also someone who gets games for them when fit (rare) but isn't much chop in my view, he's also an upgrade on him too. Cunnington is coming back from cancer, so will be hard to gauge where he's at.

Doesn't seem that silly to me, could perhaps rotate in bursts with Zurhaar or play multiple other roles. If they they get 15 or so games from him where needed, don't see it as too bad of a move IMO.

This

It’s as terrible a list management decision by North as it is by the Suns.

North already has a few inside mids, GC doesn’t. North is supposed to be in a rebuild and you sign a near 30yr old.

Just after they punted Lyons GC cried about how they didn’t have experienced players to play in and under midfield, yes they actually said that after pushing Lyons out the door. It was bizarro world stuff.

They’ll do the same around rd18 next season. Like they do every year saying the young players struggle at the end of seasons and they need bigger bodies. They are a joke.

I would imagine 2022 is Cunningtons last season. 2023 at a push if North are lucky. He isnt a welded on footy guy, especially with the additional health issue this year.

Norths Midfield was already on the way to being ridiculously good. Simpkin and LDU both potential A graders. Add in Phillips and Thomas (highest ceiling of all of them) and Stephenson and Powell and they are off to the races.

Greenwood is a brilliant pick up. A great rotation who could also be deployed of Half back.

North have near on 10 blokes who could go through the middle. Scary depth.

It can be both true that from a purely list strategy basis, losing a player because another club is willing to pay them $400k in their age-31 and potentially age-32 season off an injury where their game relies on physicality and not skill isn't the worst thing in the world... and...

It was poor planning and organisation by the club. They effectively traded a combination of Brodie salary dump and downgrading current pick 19 for future 2nd was done in the basis they were keeping Greenwood. Greenwood could have been traded weeks ago to North for a nominal pick, allowing them to keep pick 19, and then trading Brodie if they so desires (but giving them more flexibility in deciding to keep him or not). It's just poor all around.

I would imagine 2022 is Cunningtons last season. 2023 at a push if North are lucky. He isnt a welded on footy guy, especially with the additional health issue this year.

Norths Midfield was already on the way to being ridiculously good. Simpkin and LDU both potential A graders. Add in Phillips and Thomas (highest ceiling of all of them) and Stephenson and Powell and they are off to the races.

Greenwood is a brilliant pick up. A great rotation who could also be deployed of Half back.

North have near on 10 blokes who could go through the middle. Scary depth.

JHF not very happy with this post.

1637024313612.png

It can be both true that from a purely list strategy basis, losing a player because another club is willing to pay them $400k in their age-31 and potentially age-32 season off an injury where their game relies on physicality and not skill isn't the worst thing in the world... and...

It was poor planning and organisation by the club. They effectively traded a combination of Brodie salary dump and downgrading current pick 19 for future 2nd was done in the basis they were keeping Greenwood. Greenwood could have been traded weeks ago to North for a nominal pick, allowing them to keep pick 19, and then trading Brodie if they so desires (but giving them more flexibility in deciding to keep him or not). It's just poor all around.

Agreed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you're going fairly overboard here.

Greenwood is a fine pick up and is more than just an inside mid, he's also a good option as that awkward forward match up too, he's more than decent up there and I think he can do a job as an accountable midfielder too if need be. They just chopped Dumont, who whilst is as vanilla as they come, still managed 14 games last season after 17 the year before. Big upgrade on him. Anderson is also someone who gets games for them when fit (rare) but isn't much chop in my view, he's also an upgrade on him too. Cunnington is coming back from cancer, so will be hard to gauge where he's at.

Doesn't seem that silly to me, could perhaps rotate in bursts with Zurhaar or play multiple other roles. If they they get 15 or so games from him where needed, don't see it as too bad of a move IMO.

North are in a rebuild. Where they are at as a list getting Greenwood just means you’re taking games away from a kid.

Will he be around in 4-5yrs when they would be hoping to be a finals team? No, so why recruit him.

Ned Guy would be feeling a bit better about himself. GC are doing a good job of challenging Collingwood for the worst off season/trade period ever.

The shocking Brodie trade now Greenwood list trickery utensil up.

Ned should apply for a job at the Suns.

North are in a rebuild. Where they are at as a list getting Greenwood just means you’re taking games away from a kid.

Will he be around in 4-5yrs when they would be hoping to be a finals team? No, so why recruit him.
The club already delisted Dumont who was a first 22 player, which means space on the park for Greenwood.

If one of the kids can't displace Greenwood then they ought to do their time in the magoos anyway.

It is difficult to tell when only watching on the TV but some of our younger mids seem soft in the defensive part of the game.

If Greenwood is the tackling and defensive-minded mid we've been led to believe, I think he will be an excellent addition to the group.

And it signals that the club don't plan to finish bottom again, which as a member is something I'm glad to see.

Two years on the bottom is plenty.

It’s going to take 5 years to be a finals team? I don’t think so.

There was nothing to understand about the Lyons situation either he was a decent player before they got rid of him and has now turned into a very good player
No, it was the right call. Lyons had a garbage attitude, was constantly undermining coaches and clearly didn't want to be at the Suns. Showing him the door was addition by subtraction.

Agree totally, Greenwood had done his job. Fiorini only got a chance at the backend of the season after Greenwood went down and did well. I notice Touk has re-signed for 5 years now. Expect King next. They could also go hard for Callaghan now or draft a Hobbs type. Not all doom and gloom.

Agree totally, Greenwood had done his job. Fiorini only got a chance at the backend of the season after Greenwood went down and did well. I notice Touk has re-signed for 5 years now. Expect King next. They could also go hard for Callaghan now or draft a Hobbs type. Not all doom and gloom.
With another spot free i think GC will split their pick 3 .

Freo are keen to get up the order so 3 for 6 and 21

With GC getting chol he could be a very good mentor for Mac Andrew both having heritage from south Sudan.

Andrew plus van rooyen/draiper is a good haul .

Can someone confirm this for me - since Gold Coast delisted Greenwood with still a year to go on his contract does the remaining part of the wage (the last season worth) go against their cap for next season? I assume it does in theory.

Can someone confirm this for me - since Gold Coast delisted Greenwood with still a year to go on his contract does the remaining part of the wage (the last season worth) go against their cap for next season? I assume it does in theory.
The part they pay him (if any) is the part that goes against the cap.

What they pay him is the amount they owe him less any amount he is paid by North in the same year. If that amount is less than zero (i.e. if North has offered him more than GC was going to pay him), then Gold Coast don't need to pay him out at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back