Toast If there are any doubts who our next captain is.....Enter Jobe Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely,

After todays performance, speculation to who our next captain will be when Llyody hangs up his boots.

Jobe Watson Is Essendon. He is class on and off the field. He is clearly our barometer, And with key members and senior players off the field and not playing, the way he played tonight with class and Leadership, was a fantastic effort.

Sure we were lucky in the end, But well done Jobe & the Bombers.

Is this just my thinking or is it the common thought amongst Essendon Supporters.

After todays performance, speculation to who our next captain will be when Llyody hangs up his boots.

I disagree, not that Jobe would be worthy, but that we should wait until Lloyd retires before handing over the captaincy reins. I would be disappointed if Lloyd was still captain of the Essendon Football Club in 2010. We are on the way up, Lloyd is on the way out. Sure, keep him on the list for another year, but take the captaincy off him.

I don't think the question is "if" anymore, but "when".

He will captain the Essendon FC as some point. I would like to see it happen next year under the guidance of Lloyd, McVeigh and Hille.

While I wouldn't doubt Jobe's potential, I still think Hille's a strong chance. The guy always leads by example when the situation is tough. Jobe is in the forfront of everyone's minds only because he's been on the park all season. Hille, if he were still there, would be providing leadership at least equitable to Jobe. On current performances though, yeah, probably Jobe is the candidate.

A Captain must lead by example........

.........and if there ever is a player who leads by example, it's Jobe. Absolutely fearless going into packs, and his winning disposals are testament to his efforts. I have seen Jobe walking the sidelines every game I go to, exhausted, but he recovers and goes back into battle. He is an inspiration to the team.
Yep! he's the man!! The future leader of the Red and Black pack!! :thumbsu:

Re: A Captain must lead by example........

He does perform well on the field but I have no idea what he does for the club off field. Does anyone have any information on that?
I'm still a fan of McVeigh but sadly I believe his chance has gone past him this year.

I would be very happy with watson as our next captain but i think there are two options we can take with the capancy in the future:

One option is to let lloydy hold on to it next year and then pass it off the year after to watson or give it to someone experienced like mcveigh for the next couple of years and then pass it on in the future to someone young like prismall, stanton, monfries or ryder.

I would be very happy with watson as our next captain but i think there are two options we can take with the capancy in the future:

One option is to let lloydy hold on to it next year and then pass it off the year after to watson or give it to someone experienced like mcveigh for the next couple of years and then pass it on in the future to someone young like prismall, stanton, monfries or ryder.

I find it very difficult to justify bypassing Jobe and hand the captaincy at whatever stage to McVeigh or the other 4 you named. Not from what I have seen on the field.

Would be absolutely stoked if this happened. Would take the pressure off Lloyd which is great, and I reckon Watson is our most gun player. Lloyd is probably not the best forward, but I don't think anyone beats Watson at his own game. There are mids who are faster, stronger, more aggressive, better skilled, but I think he is the best heavy traffic player in the league at the moment, which makes him arguably the best inside mid going around. Even the areas of his game that have let him down are continually improving.

WATSON!!!

Our next captain?

In todays Herald Sun, Mark Robinson has said of Jobe Watson, "If he is not captain in 2010, he should be."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25966552-19742,00.html

Putting aside personal views of the author of the article, I personally agree. Jobe Watson would make a good captain when Lloyd or the club decide to change captains.

What are everyones thought on Jobe being the next captain? Is he the right man for the job? Who do you think should be our next captain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Our next captain?

Join captaincy hille/watson.. alternate games

Joint captains are a bad idea in my book, a strong club with one strong leader shows consistancy... The players, club and fans respect for one man as their true leader shows strength...

Re: Our next captain?

Join captaincy hille/watson.. alternate games

Or three captains like Sydney recently? Maybe we would be better off making half the team captains? Maybe they'd all step up if we made the whole team captains. And then the staff, and then members.

I hate multiple captains... As mentioned, one leader shows strength, builds tradition and stops leadership from becoming a confusing mess. What is involved in the captaincy role that one man can't fill? Or is it just because people can't decide who they prefer? Back one man, and either stick by him or change it.

when he went down early injured so did any hope of winning at subiaco !!!
without him getting it out to our runners we are just a run of the mill outfit.......

can we clone him ?

Does anyone know if he aspires to be captain?

I'm not saying he wouldn't like the honour but maybe he would rather be a 'quiet achiever'?

A lot of really narrow minded responses here.

I understand the joy everyone has for our improvement this year, and the effect Jobe has on our control through the middle and at stoppages is undeniable. I think it's important though to be mindful that for many Jobe is the flavour of the month as a result of our success.

There's a bloke named Hille whose leadership is just as inspirational when he plays. This is the guy who nullified the influence of Aaron Sandilands last year for an away win at Subiaco. The same guy who put on two massive hits for a possession within a few seconds against Brisbane. The guy who will feed Jobe when his new understudy plays loose in attack or defence.

David Hille ought not be forgotten in any discussion of captaincy.

A lot of really narrow minded responses here.

I understand the joy everyone has for our improvement this year, and the effect Jobe has on our control through the middle and at stoppages is undeniable. I think it's important though to be mindful that for many Jobe is the flavour of the month as a result of our success.

There's a bloke named Hille whose leadership is just as inspirational when he plays. This is the guy who nullified the influence of Aaron Sandilands last year for an away win at Subiaco. The same guy who put on two massive hits for a possession within a few seconds against Brisbane. The guy who will feed Jobe when his new understudy plays loose in attack or defence.

David Hille ought not be forgotten in any discussion of captaincy.

I agree however how long will Hille be around for? He had a pretty serious injury and this could take a toll on his future in the long term.

He is 28 now, as much as i hate to say it, he might only have 2 years left in him.

I agree however how long will Hille be around for? He had a pretty serious injury and this could take a toll on his future in the long term.

He is 28 now, as much as i hate to say it, he might only have 2 years left in him.

That's 4 years more experience for a possible 2 year premiership window, if he only has 2 years left in him. Jobe would be no worse taking up the captaincy at 26.

All I'm saying is that Hille deserves a guernsey.

That's 4 years more experience for a possible 2 year premiership window, if he only has 2 years left in him. Jobe would be no worse taking up the captaincy at 26.

All I'm saying is that Hille deserves a guernsey.

Yeh i agree, just cant see it going to Hille if a young guy who could be captain for 5+ years is in the mix

Remove this Banner Ad

Back