I'm Johnny_Knoxville and this is my opinion on the Australian travel ban

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 25, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I have mixed feelings about the Australian travel ban.

On one hand, I support it because the current Australian health system is nowhere near capable of handling a major outbreak. Not to mention that tracking the few outbreaks so far have been much easier.

On the other hand, the economic and social consequences of the travel ban will cost Australia very dearly in the long term. Immigration is a significant part of our economy and we've yet to feel the true impact this travel ban will have in the future.

What really makes me sad about the travel ban is that it's revealed some unsettling elephants in the room.

1) ScoMo and friends are clearly milking this travel ban for everything its worth to win the next election and we're blind to it.

2) The obvious level of passive-aggressive racism prevalent in Australian society

3) Rather than identify the problems and address them, our M.O is to tell people "Love it or leave"

I have mixed feelings about the Australian travel ban.

On one hand, I support it because the current Australian health system is nowhere near capable of handling a major outbreak. Not to mention that tracking the few outbreaks so far have been much easier.

On the other hand, the economic and social consequences of the travel ban will cost Australia very dearly in the long term. Immigration is a significant part of our economy and we've yet to feel the true impact this travel ban will have in the future.

What really makes me sad about the travel ban is that it's revealed some unsettling elephants in the room.

1) ScoMo and friends are clearly milking this travel ban for everything its worth to win the next election and we're blind to it.

2) The obvious level of passive-aggressive racism prevalent in Australian society

3) Rather than identify the problems and address them, our M.O is to tell people "Love it or leave"

you can still travel overseas

you just need to fill in paperwork

you can still travel overseas

you just need to fill in paperwork

Not just paperwork. You need an "exemption" to leave Australia. So no overseas holidays, no catching up with family you haven't seen for years. Then if you get an exemption because one of your parents is dying, good luck on getting back here when flights are routinely cancelled because hotel quarantine is very limited.

Of course government officials, the media, film stars, elite sports are exempt. It's just the plebs that can't leave Australia.

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:​
  • your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
    • your travel is for your business/employer
    • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
    • you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
    • you are travelling on compelling or compassionate grounds
    • your travel is in the national interest.

Not just paperwork. You need an "exemption" to leave Australia. So no overseas holidays, no catching up with family you haven't seen for years. Then if you get an exemption because one of your parents is dying, good luck on getting back here when flights are routinely cancelled because hotel quarantine is very limited.

Of course government officials, the media, film stars, elite sports are exempt. It's just the plebs that can't leave Australia.

If you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident you cannot leave Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions unless you have an exemption. You can apply online but you must meet at least one of the following:​
  • your travel is as part of the response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the provision of aid
    • your travel is for your business/employer
    • you are travelling to receive urgent medical treatment that is not available in Australia
    • you are travelling outside Australia for a compelling reason for three months or longer
    • you are travelling on compelling or compassionate grounds
    • your travel is in the national interest.

Business exemption is open to everyone

Business exemption is open to everyone

You must provide evidence to support your claims. Requests may be finalised without further consideration if insufficient evidence is provided. Evidence may include:
  • letter from your employer, or other evidence that you are travelling for a business reason

If you want to leave the country for more than 3 months to go and see family O/S the government won't mind. They just don't want people jetting off to Bali/Phuket etc for 5 days and bringing covid straight back.

About 30% of Australia's population were born overseas. Over 7 and a half million Australians have families they might want to visit. It's not just about holidays to Bali.

If you want to catch COVID there are far better options than Bali, entry requirements for foreigners in particular aren't exactly loose.

Of course it is an easy target for politicians, media outlets and bogans who do not have an understanding of the world beyond Kuta.

About 30% of Australia's population were born overseas. Over 7 and a half million Australians have families they might want to visit. It's not just about holidays to Bali.

Sure and you can go and visit them so long as you stay for 3+ months

If you want to leave the country for more than 3 months to go and see family O/S the government won't mind. They just don't want people jetting off to Bali/Phuket etc for 5 days and bringing covid straight back.
Have tried multiple times for an exemption and was denied every time. Family trying to leave (for good) were also not allowed to leave until they could show proof of employment overseas.

Sure and you can go and visit them so long as you stay for 3+ months

Who can get 3+ months off work? Or do without 3+ month's pay while paying for overseas accommodation. Why do you need to go overseas for 3+ months to get permission?

We have entered a very warped world when we have to justify only being able to see our loved ones because they are dying.

I would go further. In the space of 15 months we have gone from the freedom to explore all parts of the planet to now being barred from any overseas travel. 15 months ago there was government advice on travel to various countries and you were free to make your own judgment. Now the government dictates that we can't go to anywhere except New Zealand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who can get 3+ months off work? Or do without 3+ month's pay while paying for overseas accommodation. Why do you need to go overseas for 3+ months to get permission?

We have entered a very warped world when we have to justify only being able to see our loved ones because they are dying.

I would go further. In the space of 15 months we have gone from the freedom to explore all parts of the planet to now being barred from any overseas travel. 15 months ago there was government advice on travel to various countries and you were free to make your own judgment. Now the government dictates that we can't go to anywhere except New Zealand.
Scomos off to Cornwall on Weds. then Paris and Singapore...he got his Pfiser first

Because the government doesn't want people jet setting in and out of the country all the time - they are less concerned if you intend to stay OS for an extended period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back