Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely the training facility taking out a stand was the final nail in the coffin.

There needs to be a rival Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon Played there in the preseason comp every year, that's close to the old days.
Not really, given we can relocate the training facility in the future when we need to refresh. If it's planned properly an upgrade can be staged, and the AFLW gives us that opportunity.

Whether the AFL likes it or not, we're in prime position to be a boutique venue that doesn't create additional congestion in and on the edge of the CBD. We're also the most viable site on the Northern side of the city.

So none of our games last year would have fit the current capacity of PP. Say they revamp the stadium and push it to 30k capacity, which is a pretty big job, that's still only the GCS and GWS games from last year that would fit. Unless the AFL and/or state government footed the costs I find it hard to see how we'd consider it. You'd think with an increase in members as we start to climb the ladder that means more bums on seats at home games, ideally to the point that in a couple of years we're playing predominantly MCG games with the only Etihad games being against interstate teams.

So none of our games last year would have fit the current capacity of PP. Say they revamp the stadium and push it to 30k capacity, which is a pretty big job, that's still only the GCS and GWS games from last year that would fit. Unless the AFL and/or state government footed the costs I find it hard to see how we'd consider it. You'd think with an increase in members as we start to climb the ladder that means more bums on seats at home games, ideally to the point that in a couple of years we're playing predominantly MCG games with the only Etihad games being against interstate teams.

Or you take out non carlton attendees, and do what Geelong does and sell both MCG/Etihad and home ground memberships, as well as both.

That's an interesting table when you look at it in detail.

The majority of our home games are at Ethiad, which reduces the attendance numbers in my view. Due to the ground only holding so many, I feel many fans will be happy to watch from home rather than go to the game and sit in the rafters as the viewing isn't the greatest.

Interstate teams definitely keep at Ethiad, but teams like Geelong and Hawthorn should be played at the G. We play WC and Adelaide at the G when you would not expect crowd numbers to exceed 35,000.

Our performance during those years hasn't helped our numbers in attendance, but, playing another Victorian team at the G would surely increase the attendance numbers and our revenue.

That's an interesting table when you look at it in detail.

The majority of our home games are at Ethiad, which reduces the attendance numbers in my view.

We have more games at the MCG than Etihad. The extra game we took on from 2014 on has been used to give interstate sides an extra game at the MCG.

We have more games at the MCG than Etihad. The extra game we took on from 2014 on has been used to give interstate sides an extra game at the MCG.

Yes, but I'm talking about our home games, Eagles and Adelaide at the G with crowds of say 35, 000, where we could be playing home games at the G v Geelong or Hawthorn for 50,000 which should give us a better kick back?

Food and drink revenue, increased merchandise sales and probably a ticketed corporate function or two. Maybe a couple of bucks from the AFL.

Hopefully in a few years after some investments and improvements to the ground, once tickets are sold we'll get a cut.

I honestly feel that Princes Park will become the home of women's football in the medium term... Especially while the crowds aren't that high.
suits me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say they revamp the stadium and push it to 30k capacity, which is a pretty big job, that's still only the GCS and GWS games from last year that would fit.

Ignoring the fact that we average 25,000 for Brisbane, 29,000 for West Coast and 27,000 for Port. Add to that GC and GWS.

The current capacity is 25,000, getting it to a standard of 32,000-35,000 wouldn't be as big a project as you make out.

Ignoring the fact that we average 25,000 for Brisbane, 29,000 for West Coast and 27,000 for Port. Add to that GC and GWS.

The current capacity is 25,000, getting it to a standard of 32,000-35,000 wouldn't be as big a project as you make out.

Well, I did say that of the games played last year they were the only 2 that would fit. Our attendances over the last five years haven’t been great so we shouldn’t be looking at them as what to expect (outside of comparisons: ie we tend to get half the numbers to an Adelaide game as opposed to a Hawthorn game).

The Kardinia Park rebuild has apparently cost around $270M including $70M for the most recent upgrade in capacity to 40,000.

I reckon to get PP to afl standard there’s probably a lot of work to be done to the existing stands before you even consider adding seating capacity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, I did say that of the games played last year they were the only 2 that would fit. Our attendances over the last five years haven’t been great so we shouldn’t be looking at them as what to expect (outside of comparisons: ie we tend to get half the numbers to an Adelaide game as opposed to a Hawthorn game).

The Kardinia Park rebuild has apparently cost around $270M including $70M for the most recent upgrade in capacity to 40,000.

I reckon to get PP to afl standard there’s probably a lot of work to be done to the existing stands before you even consider adding seating capacity.

First port of call facilities wise would surely be making proper use of the cavernous walkway under the Elliott Stand for amenities etc.

And every year that goes by without any rebuild at Princes Park adds to the cost & makes it less likely.

Every year a Victorian contender offers a stadium rebuild or a new road.

13 million for a training oval, now deserted, in Seaford.

Throw that at medical......
Stack of money spent at Craigieburn for a ground the Tiggers were going to use as training headquarters & then they upgrade Punt Rd Oval.

Thats true, my love and desire for PP to be used again for matches would only be for 1-2 games per year, womens football, AFLX and in future if the AFL adds a team from Tassie or somewhere else.

The upgrade at the Cattery has been fantastic and expensive, it is top class all over, i doubt we will ever see that at PP but if we can pitch to the AFL, state, federal government that PP should be the home of womens footy, AFLX, the Northern Bullants and others, hopefully we could get $50-$100M.

Well thats the dream for me.

Was just having a look at the cost of the new stand at Blundstone arena (2015 I think), the new 5,000 seat stand cost $30M.

A spend of $50M-$100M would be enough to get it to 30,000 seats and back up to AFL standard.

It’s also worth considering that in 10 plus years we may have 1-2 more teams in the AFL, meaning more lower drawing games.

Was just having a look at the cost of the new stand at Blundstone arena (2015 I think), the new 5,000 seat stand cost $30M.

A spend of $50M-$100M would be enough to get it to 30,000 seats and back up to AFL standard.

It’s also worth considering that in 10 plus years we may have 1-2 more teams in the AFL, meaning more lower drawing games.
I am not sure the money is the main sticking point.

Sounds like there is some intractable issues here with public transport, parking , resident objections and council approvals.

I am not sure the money is the main sticking point.

Sounds like there is some intractable issues here with public transport, parking , resident objections and council approvals.

All I think are workable, the nearest train station is just 1km away, there are lots of trams. Extra car parking could be built at the zoo or at the train station.

People in Melbourne need to get over their cars, residents are another issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back