Universal Love Princes Park Update

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how the resurfacing will affect the regular foot injuries we have suffered at carlton for many years now. I heard one of the players describing the surface as soft.

Can only hope that this has a positive effect on the issue as it has been an ongoing problem at the club for many years now.

Andy Maher just said on SEN he had heard of a $50m federal government plan to upgrade the Pratt Stand and make it the HQ of Australian Netball, combined with plans to turn sub-terranean Princes Park into a parking lot for the city.

All good ideas, anybody heard more?

Andy Maher just said on SEN he had heard of a $50m federal government plan to upgrade the Pratt Stand and make it the HQ of Australian Netball, combined with plans to turn sub-terranean Princes Park into a parking lot for the city.

be ironic since we dont have a netball team

Outdoor netball on grass, then? Seems to be where the AFL wish to take our sport.

We don't own enough land to have a subterranean car park. Literally what you can see now is the entirety of our property deed.

Any plan for any adjunct fields or car parks would involve us receiving more land from council, likely on an upgraded (more expensive) lease.

We don't own enough land to have a subterranean car park. Literally what you can see now is the entirety of our property deed.

Any plan for any adjunct fields or car parks would involve us receiving more land from council, likely on an upgraded (more expensive) lease.

Didn't realise I said we owned the land, but thanks for letting me know about the title deed, saves me from spending $20 on the title search:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Didn't realise I said we owned the land, but thanks for letting me know about the title deed, saves me from spending $20 on the title search:thumbsu::thumbsu:
I haven't seen the title recently, but there's stuff listed online that suggest we don't own any of the surrounding ovals or park land.

The fact that we haven't expanded heavily ever would suggest that remains the case.

The boundary of the stadium is the boundary of the lease, as shown below.

The carpark sits on parkland which is not leased by the club (hence it is public parking) which I think if we offered to put it underground the council may expand the boundary of the lease behind a redeveloped stand if that current space is returned to parkland.
T9Pdc9M.jpg

I kinda like the pratt stand as it is, sure it could use fixing up but it has a bunch of existing seating (which could do with some paint/seat replacements) while the heroes stand doesn't have many seats at all and takes up a huge chunk of land, better to tear that down and do a rebuild with a basement training facility, new change rooms, new offices for various groups to use during the week, it is the broadcast side so new commentary boxes, new coaches boxes (on the side of the ground the bench is on, instead of being on the opposite side like they are now) a new scoreboard and it could be ~5-10m taller with proper roof mounted lights higher up.

I quite like the broadcast view of the city skyline above the pratt stand as it is now for AFLW games and the existing sloping/wavy roof is somewhat iconic for the club.

Either way, $50m is a nice number to be heard thrown around.

BTW, weren't we supposed to be building something on the grassy knoll where the Heatley Stand was?

Restoring the Gardiner Stand, fixing the GA seating, bringing the toilets up to spec, and permanent lights would soak up most of the $50M. Maybe stretch as far as renovating the Pratt Stand.

BTW, weren't we supposed to be building something on the grassy knoll where the Heatley Stand was?

Restoring the Gardiner Stand, fixing the GA seating, bringing the toilets up to spec, and permanent lights would soak up most of the $50M. Maybe stretch as far as renovating the Pratt Stand.

Gardiner stand is a must as it's on the northern side and you don't have the sun in your eyes - as a kid we used to stand in the dry area between the visitors race and the Social club. Great spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other component is that with the activity back at Princes Park, are we missing a massive opportunity to sell advertising space? Some of the signage has been there for the better part of 20 years

What ?? You saying they don't sell Patra fruit juice any more - when did this happen ?

The other component is that with the activity back at Princes Park, are we missing a massive opportunity to sell advertising space? Some of the signage has been there for the better part of 20 years

I've wondered that myself.

There wouldn't have been much point paying to advertise there over the past decade or so, but it may be something on the agenda now that the ground is being used a little more frequently.

Keep the Pratt stand - absolutely classic looking grandstand. It’s nearly iconic.

Fix up the mess on the opposite side if you’re going to build a whole new stand.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Heroes stand? I'm not sure getting architectural ideas/plans are an issue, its more about the bill payer and their expectations. The AFL very graciously installed lights at the ground last year which has been a great success. Still a prime location, the politics surrounding it are immense.

Significant improvement this season over last year. But plenty of space still to sell.

Has there been a media release or plans released for the proposed redevelopment?

I would hate to see the Pratt stand go but would love to see it upgraded. The Elliott stand however is garbage, such a big stand that barely holds 500 people. Knock it down.

We've already sold most of it, all the boundary side stuff is new signage, same with the second tier banners on the legends stand. The old stuff is mainly optus logos around the roofline and the coke sign on the gardiner stand, which could be painted solid blue if restored.

A few of the old big bits at the back of legends stand remain but the ones behind the goals are new.

The boys kept dropping the "its great to be back at ikon park"
Because they're back training there, after being evicted since last year wen the resurfacing began. None of our list played a proper game there except for simmo.

They're just happy they have a training base again instead of vising schools and parks in the outer burbs.

Has there been a media release or plans released for the proposed redevelopment?

I would hate to see the Pratt stand go but would love to see it upgraded. The Elliott stand however is garbage, such a big stand that barely holds 500 people. Knock it down.
Yep. Hardly any seating, with most of the ground level seats infront of it ripped up, a useless carpark underneath it which only stores the tractor and a dozen cars at most, moudly interiors (walked around it last aflw season, the walls are leaky and falling apart) and the only thing of value is that it contains offices for a few groups other than the football club, YMCA, Umpires Vic and one or two other orgs.

If they tore it down, deepened the basement across the entire footprint of the stands, put in two changerooms and a warmup/gym in the basement below the ground level terrace, some carparking below those and then built a new stand on top it'd be the best outcome.

Expand the footprint of the stand by ~10m to house some offices for those existing orgs at the rear or a public gym, new commentary boxes and broadcast facilities inside, move the coaches boxes from the Pratt stand to this new northern stand and a scoreboard over next to the legends stand and it'd be perfect.

If it had 2 tiers you could have a function room above the coaches and commentary boxes underneath a top tier which would cover the entire length of the stand instead of one tiny corner as it does now. Built it ~5m taller than the existing roofline so only a little bit bigger, the local can't complain too much and the club gets to run a gym to make back some coin over time.

The ballarat stage 1 redevelopment (which is basic but pretty great) cost $15m, I'm imagining as a second (or third) tier built ontop of a ground level structure, of course that included ground works and other works on the smaller perimeter stands. So say the main stand there cost 10m or so. Double or even triple it for a larger grandstand with multiple levels and excavation required, throw in another $5m for internal fitouts given it wouldn't be as basic and that is plenty of money to spare in a 50m budget.

Mars Stadium created 38 construction jobs, with 55 workers on site every day, including 15 apprentices.

All up 3000 people worked 82,500 hours on the redevelopment.​

Of course demolition brings that cost up again but I'm certain we could easily get a new stand with offices, underground parking & training areas all for under $45m with 5m left over to upgrade other areas which don't honestly need too much work overall, painting, internal lighting and plumbing upgrades and other such works.

end rant.

Last edited:
I'd like someone to explain to me what possessed them to downgrade the lighting...

I only ask that because I went to both Carlton vs. Filth games to kick off the season and the lighting was not a problem AT ALL last year.
Sounds like a question for the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back