Opinion Is it time to change Pendles’ role?

Where would you like to see Pendles in 2019?

• Midfield - You’re delusional.

Votes: 56 54.4%
  • Forward - Lead-up Forward.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Defender - Loose-man in Defence.

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Trade him while he has value.

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn’t a knee-jerk reaction, but more of an understanding where Pendles is right now and where the team needs to be. Posters will say he was recovering from his sickness etc, but it’s an easy reason. I think we need to make tough decisions.

Can't agree Chrispie - Pendles was crook during the bye. Possibly really crook. Then he plays a final in the cauldron of Perth Stadium (or whatever it's called), because we desperately needed him to. Amazed that he managed to do it, coming back from illness and playing one of the world's most physically demanding games.

I've got people at my work who take time off with a sniffle! Credit where it's due.

Was clearly nowhere near his best against West Coast and was absolutely spent by the last quarter but he was still one of our better players overall and was extremely clean apart from one fumble. Thought he and Steele kept us in the game during the first quarter when we were getting smashed.
He's still got a couple of years before changing his role is even considered a possibility, as has been mentioned his role has changed slightly this year with the emergence of Sier but he's still one of our very best players.

Previously he was a purely attacking mid, whose man worried about him and not the other way around. This year he's become more defensively accountable for a man and played on a lot of the guns in a two way role. As he slows down further, I expect him to continue to shift a bit more to the defensive side, but remain in a midfield role.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd like to see him work a bit on his kicking. He's always had beautiful placement and deft touch with his kicking, but I think with changes to the game and extra congestion, his kicking style is now a bit too floaty. Needs to hit them a bit flatter and harder. He's no longer the bloke that I'd choose first to kick it into forward 50.

Can't agree Chrispie - Pendles was crook during the bye. Possibly really crook. Then he plays a final in the cauldron of Perth Stadium (or whatever it's called), because we desperately needed him to. Amazed that he managed to do it, coming back from illness and playing one of the world's most physically demanding games.

I've got people at my work who take time off with a sniffle! Credit where it's due.

This is what people possibly underestimate. If the whispers are correct, Pendles was hospitalised with viral meningitis during the week off, had a short recovery (which means he was probably still unwell), and had to fly to and from Perth (for the second time in three weeks) and play an exhausting game whilst sick.

Add to that its finals time in a sport where most teams are limping to the finish line due to injuries, whereas we are crawling on our bellies, there is the distinct possibility that Pendles has been carrying more than his fair share of the heavy grunt work most likely carrying injuries.

Chances are under these type of conditions Pendles won't actually fully recover from illness to well after the finals series.

People think he is slowing down because he didn't dominate the clearances against West Coast? 6 weeks ago against the red hot premiership favourites he had 13 clearances, Martin, Cotchin, Edwards and Caddy had 9 combined.... leading contested ball winner... Pendles.....

Just remember at he won't last forever, Pendles has played 274 games... Bucks played 280, Swan played 258, Burns 264, Rowdy 254, Daicos 250.
Enjoy him while we can.

Clearly still feeling the affects of the virus last week however as a back he gets exposed one on one and as a forward he’s not great overhead.

Quite liked the times we’ve played him off the back of the square at centre bounces this year though.

Last edited:
So far from Saturdays night game

- Pendles to play back pocket or FF
- Treloar was horrid and Oxley would have offered more
- Cox's career is over

Love our supporters
And Mayne deserves a ball to whack him in the face. :eek:

Err wait a minute.... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before I start, I want to state he’s my favourite player. In the 12 years, I’ve watched football, he’s been absolutely superb.I love him. Champion footballer. Champion off the field. Decent leader.
Deserves a Brownlow or too.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion. He’s all class and still an A-Grader on most days.

Although, I think we need to find him a new role. I don’t think he’s as effective in the midfield anymore. We need to invest time in Sier, De Goey, Adams and Treloar. We might even be able to squeeze more time into Josh Thomas or Rupert Wills.

He attended the most Center bounces for either team this week, and managed only 1 clearance. It also happened the last time we played Sydney. He seems to get caught holding the ball a little bit more often. His numbers have dropped off. His disposal isn’t pinpoint anymore.

This isn’t a knee-jerk reaction, but more of an understanding where Pendles is right now and where the team needs to be. Posters will say he was recovering from his sickness etc, but it’s an easy reason. I think we need to make tough decisions.

Pendles has never been a great overhead mark (especially for someone who’s played basketball). So unfortunately playing him in the forward line is a no. I think he could be a great lead-up forward. I do think he would be useful as the spare defender or running off from the back of the square.

I’m sure he will come out this week and dominate, and I’ll look stupid. But I’m talking about the future. Maybe, I’m marking him very hard, but I don’t want his legacy lost playing in the midfield as he’s no longer the player he once was.

He’s been good this year without being great. The weekend it looked like he was still suffering from the illness he had. I could only see him moving to half back or the wing.

Can't even have this discussion unless we identify a trend i.e. a series of games where his contribution is less than it was.

Discussing a positional change for him the week after he spends a week in hospital fighting meningitis is wrong.

He was visibly lighter on Saturday night and still managed to make a positive difference.

Tough crowd. :)

So far from Saturdays night game

- Pendles to play back pocket or FF
- Treloar was horrid and Oxley would have offered more
- Cox's career is over

Love our supporters

Overreaction to the overreaction.

People will melt after a loss and spout nonsensical thoughts better left unsaid.

They don't represent the 'supporters'. Nor do you and I.

In most cases, the people melting after a loss are going to be young kids not battle-hardened on dealing with disappointment, or people turning to the internet to expel the rage they know full-well would be embarrassing to say, out loud, to another human.

Part of the entertainment of the site ;)

Hack. Delist or trade for pick 70+ to North Melbourne or other similarly desperate club looking for fringe C-grade list cloggers.

The coaches will work it all out. Pendles will eventually be phased down in terms of his output and team expectations over the next 1-2 years. But right now we need him in the guts, evading, eluding, creating, constructing.

In a few years I see him handing the captaincy to either Sidey, Grundy, or Adams.
Without any pressure of the captaincy I can see him on the wing with a liscence to do as he pleases, wreaking absolute havoc on the opposition.

Before I start, I want to state he’s my favourite player. In the 12 years, I’ve watched football, he’s been absolutely superb.I love him. Champion footballer. Champion off the field. Decent leader.

This is probably a very unpopular opinion. He’s all class and still an A-Grader on most days.

Although, I think we need to find him a new role. I don’t think he’s as effective in the midfield anymore. We need to invest time in Sier, De Goey, Adams and Treloar. We might even be able to squeeze more time into Josh Thomas or Rupert Wills.

He attended the most Center bounces for either team this week, and managed only 1 clearance. It also happened the last time we played Sydney. He seems to get caught holding the ball a little bit more often. His numbers have dropped off. His disposal isn’t pinpoint anymore.

Pendles has never been a great overhead mark (especially for someone who’s played basketball). So unfortunately playing him in the forward line is a no. I think he could be a great lead-up forward. I do think he would be useful as the spare defender or running off from the back of the square.

I’m sure he will come out this week and dominate, and I’ll look stupid. But I’m talking about the future. Maybe, I’m marking him very hard, but I don’t want his legacy lost playing in the midfield as he’s no longer the player he once was.

Is it time to change Pendles’ role?

No.

On the bolded - I would only consider phasing him out of the midfield if we thought we relied too much on him and didn't want his eventual retirement (max 3 more seasons?) to hurt too much. That he only managed a clearance and the midfield functioned ok is a good thing for us overall. Would only be interested in moving him forward if he made a positive difference up there

Do you have any numbers on disposal efficiency? I couldn't it with a quick google but from watching I'd agree it might be slightly down on previous years

I don't think Pendles has the same flexibility as some players. He has never looked as good in other roles and it's a waste of his talent. However he has shown an ability to curb the influence of top quality midfielders at stoppages in defensive roles this year. Given we don't run a midfield tagger i'd like to see Pendles do this role more often. It's a good compromise because we don't lose out anything in midfield like we would if Greenwood stepped in but we still have that accountability for the oppositions good players.

I do think the timing of the thread is a little off given Pendles was sick (and hospitalised) leading into the game and I think that explains the reduced influence.

Back