Is Nick Daicos The Best First Year Player Of All Time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trouble is, it seems that for many BF posters that if it didn’t happen in the last 20 yrs, it’s not worth talking about. Apparently all players pre-2000 were just fat, slow, amatuerish spuds. On point though, Buckley in 93 was HUGE!
BINGO!

In recent memory I can't think of anyone that had a better 1st year that Tim Kelly although the Cats had another good 1st yearer in J Pod.

In recent memory I can't think of anyone that had a better 1st year that Tim Kelly although the Cats had another good 1st yearer in J Pod.

Advantage as a mature recruit.

Isaac Smith had a huge 1st year too. 20 goals, 9 goal assists, 300 possessions, 100 marks, 40 tackles in 16 games.

But he was 22.

Wasn’t even better than Pendlebury in that year alone.

He won the AFLCA that year and was out and out the best player, statistics aren’t a good representation of his impact that year.

I have that year above any Judd year at Carlton, as well as any Cripps or Fev year too. He would break tackles and get the ball forward at all costs.

I agree that Pendles is a much better player but I honestly cannot remember a Carlton player being as good as he was that year. Maybe Kouta but I was pretty young.

I could very easily be biased here as I loved the style that which Murph played.

Agree to disagree!

Plenty of mature age players have hit the ground running over the years so you’d have to exclude them but otherwise Daicos would be right up there.

I do think there’s an element of Jake Lloyd seagull type possessions to his game but that’s kinda the role thrusted on him because he’s simply better using the ball than others.

Plenty of mature age players have hit the ground running over the years so you’d have to exclude them but otherwise Daicos would be right up there.

I do think there’s an element of Jake Lloyd seagull type possessions to his game but that’s kinda the role thrusted on him because he’s simply better using the ball than others.

Next year is when it really matters. Another preseason and we will start to see what role McRae wants for him.

He won the AFLCA that year and was out and out the best player, statistics aren’t a good representation of his impact that year.

I have that year above any Judd year at Carlton, as well as any Cripps or Fev year too. He would break tackles and get the ball forward at all costs.

I agree that Pendles is a much better player but I honestly cannot remember a Carlton player being as good as he was that year. Maybe Kouta but I was pretty young.

I could very easily be biased here as I loved the style that which Murph played.

Agree to disagree!
It might’ve been his best ever season, and you’re clearly a huge fan of his, but it’s a very subjective thing to try and compare it against others without incorporating some elements of statistics to back the opinion. It’s got abit of a Dennis Denuto ‘The vibe’ argument to it when you don’t want to validate it with stats.

It’s also huge call to say Murphy’s absolute best season is better than Pendlebury’s best season. I know you aren’t comparing careers or players overall, but Pendlebury has been consistently elite his whole career so we just expect that. I also don’t recall 2011 being so spectacular where he was just a bonafide superstar of the competition.

When you talk about what stood out, I looked at the stats that would validate this, and breaking tackles/moving the ball forward at all costs would be potentially measured in clearances, contested/uncontested possessions, disposal efficiency, i50s and goal assists where he wasn’t clear cut above Pendles in any of those stats for 2011.

The biggest gap in any of those is DE% which was in Pendlebury’s favour.

The only thing that supports your argument is bounces which shows he did provide plenty of run and carry. That in itself can aesthetically make someone look abit better than they really are when they’re doing it often, but then you’re underestimating so many other aspects of a midfielder’s game.

In "style" he projects a similar game to Gaz jnr.

He definitely has it. His father was never blessed with speed, brute strength or jumping ability but he had an innate quality which separated him from almost every other player in the country.
Nick could very well be your most important player such is the way Macrae likes to structure up his team. And for a first year player, that is almost unheard of.

Absolutely no-one talks about Nathan Buckley’s first season, probably because it was with the Bears, and they won 4 of 20 games. Probably makes it even more remarkable that he polled 14 votes and had 3 BOG games.

5 games of 20 and 2. Kicked 21 goals for the year and averaged over just under 23 possessions a game.

View attachment 1523600
If Nick Daicos turns out to be as good as Nathan Buckley then strap yourselves in. I’m excited!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gouki88 VinnieB loki04

Copeland Trophy
Jack Crisp 291 votes
2. Scott Pendlebury 276 votes
3. Darcy Moore 269 votes
4. Jeremy Howe 266 votes
5. Steele Sidebottom 265 votes
6. Patrick Lipinski 259 votes
7. Nick Daicos 258 votes
8. Josh Daicos 249 votes
8. Brayden Maynard 249 votes
10. Jordan De Goey 231 votes

For a bloke who was pumped up by some in the media as the "best first year player of all time", it's somewhat of a surprise to see that Nick Daicos could only finish 7th in Collingwood's B&F award (behind Howe, Sidebottom and Lipinski). It wasn't like he missed games which is normally an excuse for players finishing down the list in their club's best and fairest. Daicos played every game!

Care to share your thoughts on why he didn't poll better???

From memory, Cyril Rioli finished 6th in Hawthorn's 2008 B&F... The '08 Hawks were a better team than Collingwood. Finished 2nd on the ladder with 17 wins and beat the unbeatable Cats in the Grand Final.

We've seen other 1st year players finish in the top 3 or 4 of their club's B&F

Nick Daicos is obviously gonna be a star. But the pro-Magpies hype and pro-Daicos hype was laid on pretty thick this year by the media.
It surprised me tbf, but it's how the coaches saw him.

I'd say Howe is unreal in how high he is tbh, Sidebottom even, Lipinski, i'd have had Daicos had of them.

But i guess it's again, how they've seen his year.

We finished a goal off the grand final. he finished close up in a bunched finish. He was tagged for the last 6 games or so for a reason
He rarely had a genuine tag outside of Ryan Clarke when he played Sydney, being paid attention to so you can't run past for easy possessions is not being tagged.

Getting extra attention and constant body work is.

It surprised me tbf, but it's how the coaches saw him.

I'd say Howe is unreal in how high he is tbh, Sidebottom even, Lipinski, i'd have had Daicos had of them.

But i guess it's again, how they've seen his year.

The thing is in he eyes of the coaches Nick Daicos was no higher than 9th best in terms of average votes per match and I am unsure whether players like Taylor Adams, Brody Grundy, Jamie Elliott could have also threatened him on that score but I would guess at least one of them might have been above him. So we can see from the scoring they are fairly bunched but if you picked Collingwood’s best 22 in terms of average votes per match he is barely above midfield, according to his own coaches. The coaches would have to be in a better position than us to judge the value of the contributions, so I would take that to be indicative. The thing is just to play every game as a 19yo is a huge effort. Then to do that and be roughly 10th best in the team is another level above just playing every game, ie he is not being played just with an eye to the future he is clearly more than pulling his weight. But that is where he genuinely sits, 10th best player in the 4th best team or thereabouts. It is a very significant achievement, but not one of historical proportions.

absolutely not,maybe one of the most composed first year players and thats as far as it goes
will say he and Collingwood got a bad deal from the umps in regards to votes this year,58 in total is corrupt
and just exposes the AFL's and umpire bias....absolute disgrace,the fact that Carlton got 4 AA;s a brownlow and more team votes
than Collingwood after that trainwreck of a season proves the AFL are not a serious Administation and arent fit to run Aussie rules footy,
time for a new organisation to step in

Last edited:
In "style" he projects a similar game to Gaz jnr.

It might be that I just haven’t seen enough of him but I haven’t noticed the power Ablett Jnr displayed (even early career) in Daicos. Jnr wasn’t the fittest but he was an explosive little nuggety player back then.

I see more of a Dal Santo or Simon Black assuming Daicos becomes a full time mid.

It might be that I just haven’t seen enough of him but I haven’t noticed the power Ablett Jnr displayed (even early career) in Daicos. Jnr wasn’t the fittest but he was an explosive little nuggety player back then.

I see more of a Dal Santo or Simon Black assuming Daicos becomes a full time mid.

Nick Daicos will eventually be a high possession goal kicking mid of which neither of those 2 were.
Daicos is a natural goal kicker, even Fly lamented the fact he couldn't use him forward more this year due to his importantance to our drive from the backlines.

Ablett jnr was the king of the 1 - 2 chain and then clean delivery inside 50 or goal, Nick has the same game sense and nouse. Similar sized players too.

Daicos is much faster & agile over short distances than Dal Santi & Black, and has a better goal sense. Wildly different players.

Nick Daicos will eventually be a high possession goal kicking mid of which neither of those 2 were.
Daicos is a natural goal kicker, even Fly lamented the fact he couldn't use him forward more this year due to his importantance to our drive from the backlines.

Ablett jnr was the king of the 1 - 2 chain and then clean delivery inside 50 or goal, Nick has the same game sense and nouse. Similar sized players too.

Late in his career maybe. But early in Ablett’s career before the shoulder injury he was a contested beast.

But I’ll give you the natural goal kicker part. I’m not knocking Daicos and maybe Dal Santo/Black are the wrong choices, I just don’t see the power in his game. Peak Ablett was like Dusty and Danger…so hard to tackle.

Nick Daicos has had a great first season in the AFL, one of the best of the last 30 years.

Whether it was better than Buckley's, or Cousin's, or even Walsh's first season is something you could debate forever.

I can't wait until this time next year, when we're having the same discussion about Will Ashcroft :rolleyes:

Rowell got more AFL Coaches Award votes in just the four matches he got to play than Nick got in the 22 in their respective first seasons. Nick did just pip him in the Brownlow though. Dont take that as a knock on Nick - exciting prospect and I wish he was on my team.

Look, I know your keen but I think you mean "in recent memory" not "of all time". In any case I present some of John Colemans first year stats. 12 goals in his first game, 100 goals for the year (next best 63), fourth in Brownlow medal, 6 goals in winning GF team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back