Is St Kilda actually making any progress under Alan Richardson ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlisle - proven gun, will return and be an excellent key defender
Goddard - monster with great intensity and excellent skills. He's 196cm, 98kg and 19 years old so he'll take a little while but I'm very confident he'll be an outstanding player
Roberton - already had two top 10 B&F finishes. Currently struggling coming off an interrupted pre season
Webster - also finished top 10 in the B&F last year. Quick, great skills and can lock down an opponent when needed
Newnes - played more midfield recently but I can see him going back and being a defensive general when the older guys retire and we snag another gun mid or two
Savage - has played purely off half back this year and been our best distributor. Defensive game has greatly improved as well
McKenzie - pick 22 a couple of years ago, great skills, tank, pace and courage. Has had injury issues, illness and multiple concussions but has worked his way into our 22 now with a full squad to pick from
White - apparently absolutely massive wraps on this kid internally. Hasn't got a heap of exposed form and needs to build his tank but has all the other attributes you look for (lethal kick, pace, competitor)
Rice - another elite kick who is going to be build like a brick shithouse by the time he's 21. Could be a Shannon Hurn style distributor/brick wall
Lee - has been BOG for Sandringham regularly as a defender, played a couple of senior games then was very surprisingly dropped. Looked good and is perfectly suited to replace Fisher but who knows, may not be in Richo's plans.

I thought Essendon supporters overrated our players.
Wow.

I thought Essendon supporters overrated our players.
Wow.
Anyone can throw a s**t response like that out there. What do you disagree with out of what you quoted? You obviously watch these guys and hear how they're progressing more than him, so so how about you give us a bit more than that and hit us up with your wisdom?

Do these players have any weaknesses?
All I see is "dude, excellent", "top 10 b&f", "elite".
I could top 10 your best and fairest at the moment.

Of course they have weaknesses, that goes without saying. They also have other strengths that weren't mentioned, but that doesn't mean that anything he said there is incorrect. I'm very comfortable with our defensive stocks going forward and if we happen to be lacking in that area down the track, "defenders" are probably the easiest/cheapest to acquire.

If you reckon you're as good as a Dylan Roberton or Jimmy Webster then I think we all know who it is that's doing the massive overrating here.

Your defense is fine, your key forwards are great, your inside midfield is very good.
You need some polish, and some game breaking players with speed.
It is all very blue collar at this point, apart from your forward line.

Your defense is fine, your key forwards are great, your inside midfield is very good.
It is all very blue collar at this point, apart from your forward line.

That'll be the focus for the next few years of off seasons.

Maybe another inside beast like Will Brodie would be good if he slipped

I think everyone involved at our club and who supports us knows that these are the areas we most need to focus on in the next offseason or two, but it's also an area we've been looking at in the last couple and as such some of the youngest ones on our list have these attributes (like some of those mentioned above), so it will also depend on how they develop (in particular whether we're able to get Nathan Freeman out on the park, as he's a "running machine").

Wouldn't surprise me if we had a big crack at the likes of Adam Saad and/or Jarrod Garlett at Gold Coast at the end of this season, although I'm very happy with having Montagna and Savage running it out of defence and distributing for as many as the next 2-3 years, until Joey retires.

If Jack Steven plays like he did on the weekend more often from now on that would also make a big difference. For whatever reason (probably injury in 2014) he's lost a lot of the dare and run from his game in the last couple of years (even though he's still been playing well and getting a lot of the ball), but on the weekend he seemed to take everyone on with run with almost all of his 40 disposals, and that makes him infinitely more dangerous and damaging. That's how he was playing back in 2013 when he won his first B&F (51 running bounces, compared to just 20 last year), so if he's able to play like that more again from now on it could really make a big difference. I've been waiting for him to play like that again for ages.

Last edited:

Alright, here are the current weaknesses

Carlisle - suspended
Goddard - needs to build tank and consistency
Roberton - coming off interrupted pre season, lacks touch
McKenzie - needs to find more of the ball and build strength
White - needs to build tank
Rice - needs to build tank and defensive smarts
Newnes - prone to make some bad clangers among otherwise excellent disposal, ideally would stamp that out
Savage - sometimes makes bad decisions under heavy pressure

I'm comfortable that our defence will be a significant strength in a few years time. It's our midfield that needs a major injection of talent

Carlisle - proven gun, will return and be an excellent key defender
Goddard - monster with great intensity and excellent skills. He's 196cm, 98kg and 19 years old so he'll take a little while but I'm very confident he'll be an outstanding player <snip>
This isn't a dig on you but the hype surrounding Goddard is completely out of control.

Apparently he's the next Chris Judd ("a monster"), yet he's not even good enough to get a game at the Saints.

"mad saint guy"... sounds like a very apt user name ;)

I think he means "monster" from a size POV. He's a very big unit (apparently about 197cm and 105kg already) and as far as I'm concerned the only thing that will stop him having a terrific AFL career is a really bad injury or something like that that derails his career.

He was spoken about (at around 16/17yo) for a year or two as being a potential no.1 pick in his draft and was apparently very strongly considered by GWS at pick 6 when his draft did eventually arrive, so he has big wraps on him for good reason. He then showed a heap at VFL level in particular last year to make us extremely excited about his prospects going forward. He then played seniors for the last 7 or so rounds and didn't look out of place, but he then passed out one day over the preseason and has apparently been a bit of a shadow of what he was last year, so far this year, so it all depends on what the issue is, as to whether he is likely to end up being what we fully expected him to be prior to this year.

It may just be that at 105kg he's bulked up too much too soon, like Boyd supposedly did when he was at GWS, and is struggling to carry that weight around, but that's just a guess. It may just be "2nd year blues". I doubt he's suddenly lost all his natural football talent overnight though, so for the time being I think we're still very confident that he'll end up really good. No guarantees with anyone though, so we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't a dig on you but the hype surrounding Goddard is completely out of control.

Apparently he's the next Chris Judd ("a monster"), yet he's not even good enough to get a game at the Saints.

"mad saint guy"... sounds like a very apt user name ;)

How was Goddards pre season? Just check it out before you comment.

I love how people are now questioning Billings over Bontempelli as though Bont was a consensus top 5 pick at the time when that is apparently far from the case. Like Macrae the year before, he was a late "bolter", who half way through that season probably wasn't in most club's first round calculations (when I watched him at the champs there weren't big wraps on him at all in the commentary, he was just this guy who was related to Nick Dal Santo and he did very little in most of those champs games and had done little in the TAC Cup prior to that) and after the draft it was said in the media that clubs had him all over the place on their boards, with one or more not even having him in their first round by the time of the draft. So WB getting him at 4 was much more about them making a great and brave call than us somehow missing this no-brainer.
You're absolutely right. I know it's easy for the neutral footy fan to forget, but you only have to read the mock drafts in 2013 to realise that Bontempelli was certainly rated below Kelly and Billings.

I'm also pretty sure most teams (Bulldogs excluded) didn't even consider Bont a top 10 pick until news came out Collingwood were into him. I think Sharenberg and Aish were seen as the second tier that teams would have drafted if Billings weren't available.

And all the player rankings in that draft, I didnt see one where Bontempelli was ranked above Billings. Nobody would have expected the rise Bont has made in the last 3 years.
Here are some links if anyone is interested in a read.
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-15/phantom-draft-form-guide
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-21/how-your-club-fared
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...rospects-of-2013/story-fni5f22o-1226759925435
http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...es-first-round-prediction-20131120-2xvy6.html

Last edited:
Yep, it wouldn't be much worse than bagging Richmond for taking Lennon at 12 instead of Patrick Cripps (who Carlton took at 13) when Cripps wasn't expected to necessarily even go in the first round. It's always a piece of piss in hindsight.

Anyway, I have little doubt that once Billings builds his tank more he'll slice teams up for the following 10 or so years with his lethal disposal and smarts. He showed what he's capable of with his 27 and 30 (with 2 goals) games earlier in the year and I expect that's what he'll do consistently once he's got the required fitness. He's looked really tired to me again in recent weeks, so I think he needs at least one more preseason before he's ready to perform consistently in a midfield role.

Last edited:
I thought Petracca was going to go pick 1 no questions asked, Also I honestly think the Saints would have been better off keeping their pick 5 last year which would have been Francis. But I rated Francis top 3, best utility I have seen in quiet a while at under18s.

Billing, McCartin and Carlisle
Or
Petracca, Bont and Francis, 3 massive units here.
Thank god you're not a recruiter. Anyone with half a brain can see why we took McCartin & traded for Carlisle.
Ask anyone, would you rather Francis & Redman or Carlisle & Gresham and it'll be overwhelming to the latter.

Thank god you're not a recruiter. Anyone with half a brain can see why we took McCartin & traded for Carlisle.
Ask anyone, would you rather Francis & Redman or Carlisle & Gresham and it'll be overwhelming to the latter.
It's way too early yet to have a definite answer. After Carlisle was busted snorting cocaine, plus the suspension. I doubt it would be overwhelming.

No I didn't, because I don't read your dribble unless you quote me.
Me stating my opinion on a football forum is "dribble" because you don't agree with it?

Maybe you should just stick to the Saints board then?. Not everyone on the main board is going to agree with what you have to say just because it suits you, or because its what you want to hear.

St Kilda poster: Stupid thread. Richo is doing very well. I luv the Richo so much.

Opposition poster: Stupid thread. But Richo is crap because St Kilda are at the bottom of the ladder. Heheh St Kilda always so bad.

St Kilda poster: (if opposition poster is a Doggies supporter) Haha you paid for Tom Boyd hahaha
(if opposion poster is a Freo supporter ) Haha you paid for Ross Lyin hahaa

Oppostion poster: 27 wooden spoons haha. Your club is crap

St Kilda poster: No, your club is bad.

Opposition poster: No your club is bad

St Kilda poster: No, your club is bad

Opposition poster:
No, your club is bad

Throw in a long, well-thought out post from ARR somewhere.

Did I do it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back