Opinion It is time we changed the Essendon logo

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
Oct 11, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
The glaringly obvious difference is animals and the weather are nature - they both exist, and as a product of existing they create good and bad. The sun creates life and can also cause skin cancer with too much exposure.

Bomber planes are designed for one thing - destruction. Death. Yes they were designed for winning a war and defending our country, but they have no intention other than destruction. To compare them to the sun or animals is reductive and disingenuous.

I've been banging this drum for years and sadly not many on here seem to share that view. Oh well, I hope one day this will change and people will look back and ask "why did they ever use something so blatantly inappropriate?"

Until then, go BOMBERS!!!!!

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Nah, makes me a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

I get that it was chosen during a different time, and it probably represented national strength, but it is what it is - a "bomber" plane used to kill other humans.
When the Winnipeg Jets returned to the NHL after being relocated ~15 years earlier, they introduced a new logo (below) with a fighter jet over a maple leaf and in consultation with the Royal Canadian Air Force, which attracted bits and pieces of criticism but not enough to change anything. But more discussion than I've ever seen our logo have. There's a key difference between Winnipeg and Essendon though: Jets can be any kind of aeroplane, and Winnipeg made a conscious discussion to embrace militarism when they didn't have to, whereas Bombers are... military aircraft. There's not really any two ways about it. The B O M B part of the name is pretty clear. I'm not entirely on board with the anniversary logo, but I certainly don't see any real reason to ever do a new logo that prominently displays a Bomber, particularly a contemporary Bomber plane.

1632022309339.png

Call Me Cake

I'll brb
Jun 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes they were designed for defending our country,* but they have no intention other than destruction.
This is as silly as saying that police cars were designed to just pit-maneuver vehicles - or that tasers were just designed to electrocute people - or that alarm systems were just designed only to create loud highly-noticeable noises that wake people up in the middle of the night.

Everything has a cause and effect. The cause is potential invasions (which will forever be a threat) - and the effect is technology capable of flight and the ability to counter-attack with the same or higher force as necessary.

These sorts of things exist, but ideally they exist not to be actually used - merely paraded as a reminder of protection. Do you see military aircraft flying around in our sky? No. Why? Because we're not being attacked. But to not have them readily available would be suicide, regardless of how many years ahead it is.

The entire reason you aren't saluting Imperial Japan right now is because of these capabilities. Remember that.

I'll also point out that you conveniently brushed aside the comments comparing it to the Gunners in the EPL, or the offense many would take from a monikor like Demons and phrases like "Give 'em Hell" - but I also recognize that you've moved on from the topic and I will do the same. Just remember not to read too much into things. :thumbsu:

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
Oct 11, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I didn't respond to the Gunners thing because my thoughts on that would be obvious.

Demons aren't real things, so I have no issue with that, just as I wouldn't if someone were the Trolls.

I'm happy to stop posting in this thread until the next opportunity in a year or two.

Call Me Cake

I'll brb
Jun 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Demons aren't real things, so I have no issue with that, just as I wouldn't if someone were the Trolls.
There are many religious people who would take offense to it just as much as you would take offense to us not being a subordinate population, yet you only consider one to be of a higher morale ground than the other, even though both are philosophical standpoints.

But yeah, we'll move on. Go Bombers. :thumbsu:

Lore

Moderator ❀
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The glaringly obvious difference is animals and the weather are nature - they both exist, and as a product of existing they create good and bad. The sun creates life and can also cause skin cancer with too much exposure.

Bomber planes are designed for one thing - destruction. Death. Yes they were designed for winning a war and defending our country, but they have no intention other than destruction. To compare them to the sun or animals is reductive and disingenuous.

I've been banging this drum for years and sadly not many on here seem to share that view. Oh well, I hope one day this will change and people will look back and ask "why did they ever use something so blatantly inappropriate?"

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a major issue. It's only really an informal thing which came about organically due to proximity with the airport in WWII, it's not like we went and chose it for ourselves to try and look more macho than all the mayblooms and red legs that were around at the time.

I'm not sure it even would have stuck as long as it has if we weren't forced to use it on the logo through three of our last four premierships, with that nickname now a registered trademark of the AFL;

Untitled.jpg

Beyond that though, we're Essendon on everything, we're known as the "Dons" probably at least as often, our actual physical mascot is a mosquito. It's not in the club constitution. Once it's off the logo the only thing important that includes it will be the song.

btw this is the trademark registration for the new logo:

Call Me Cake

I'll brb
Jun 9, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Shane Heard

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Well I like watching the final qrt of the 84’ GF when total destruction rained down on Hawthorn relentlessly at the Punt rd end causing catastrophic damage to the enemy.

And then again the next year when it was like we nuked them with an A bomb and levelled and destroyed every living brown and gold creature on the battlefield.

Bombers forever.

Lance Uppercut

Eat bling
Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
How could anyone not love this.

Good to finally have a more higher-res version of it. Still think it could be much more polished and bold though.

View attachment 1239930

It's growing on me.
I really like it, but the more I look at it the more I very much dislike the dark grey/pink aspects. Most unnecessary and strange

Lance Uppercut

Eat bling
Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Dark grey and pink? Not seeing that at all. Some people seriously see yellow as aqua though. That's a thing.
the right hand side of the shield has a lighter shade of colour. I get layering and texture but the left side is quite dull as it is, so the contrast of the right side is lifeless for mine.

Doesn't seem to be the same for the image on the orange background

Nifft

Club Legend
Nov 2, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a major issue. It's only really an informal thing which came about organically due to proximity with the airport in WWII, it's not like we went and chose it for ourselves to try and look more macho than all the mayblooms and red legs that were around at the time.

I'm not sure it even would have stuck as long as it has if we weren't forced to use it on the logo through three of our last four premierships, with that nickname now a registered trademark of the AFL;

View attachment 1239907

Beyond that though, we're Essendon on everything, we're known as the "Dons" probably at least as often, our actual physical mascot is a mosquito. It's not in the club constitution. Once it's off the logo the only thing important that includes it will be the song.

btw this is the trademark registration for the new logo:
The Dons? :oops:

Mafia_9611b.jpg

Shane Heard

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad