Recommitted Izak Rankine [contracted and staying at Gold Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure one can speculate about any player to move on but I wish people did a little bit of homework on Rankine before putting Crows guernsey on him. From all those young potential superstars on Suns list he is probably the most excited and happiest one to be on Suns list.

Listen to his interviews. His comment 'rather moving my family to GC than moving back to Adelaide' was telling. Just this week he expressed his love and admiration for Harbs and Lemmo to have them as mentors in the club ' I try to model myself on. I just count myself lucky'.

All Suns need to do in next 2 years is start winning more games and reach finals contention as all clubs need to keep best players long-term. If Suns finish bottom 4 in 2022, yes, some top talent could leave. Excuse my bias but as a Suns fan, I am quite optimistic about future considering how they played in most games this year despite hit badly by injuries that wiped out ruck department. There is tremendous talent on the list and age and experience profile in 2022 should start delivering after the young core playing together for 2 years.

As for Crows, not sure why Rankine would want to join them. Yes, I am aware he supported Crows as a kid. Yes, they play a pretty good footy this year and I like their pressure they bring in most games. I would say they surprised a lot of people. In my opinion, still a long rebuild ahead for Crows.

I don't why you would draft small forwards as high draft picks! He plays in a forward line that's always flooded with players and no room to move.

Sure one can speculate about any player to move on but I wish people did a little bit of homework on Rankine before putting Crows guernsey on him. From all those young potential superstars on Suns list he is probably the most excited and happiest one to be on Suns list.

Listen to his interviews. His comment 'rather moving my family to GC than moving back to Adelaide' was telling. Just this week he expressed his love and admiration for Harbs and Lemmo to have them as mentors in the club ' I try to model myself on. I just count myself lucky'.

All Suns need to do in next 2 years is start winning more games and reach finals contention as all clubs need to keep best players long-term. If Suns finish bottom 4 in 2022, yes, some top talent could leave. Excuse my bias but as a Suns fan, I am quite optimistic about future considering how they played in most games this year despite hit badly by injuries that wiped out ruck department. There is tremendous talent on the list and age and experience profile in 2022 should start delivering after the young core playing together for 2 years.

As for Crows, not sure why Rankine would want to join them. Yes, I am aware he supported Crows as a kid. Yes, they play a pretty good footy this year and I like their pressure they bring in most games. I would say they surprised a lot of people. In my opinion, still a long rebuild ahead for Crows.
yeah, agree with the general thrust of your post..although I am bullish as to where the crows will be heading but that is another issue. Since the crows have cleaned right out and are on a very different path to what they were when Rankine was drafted, I think that there are areas the club needs to get in order as an absolute priority such as trying to draft another high end midfielder. After that who knows but nothing out there indicates Rankine is in a hurry to leave GC

Met him and his family at the Alberton Hotel (short distance from Port's base) while we were watching Port v Geelong Qualifying Final last year. He left shortly after the game and I said to his family it's nice to see him around these parts and would love to see him alongside Rozee, Butters and Duursma. They said he will be. I said I thought he was a crows man and was told he is but doesn't want to play for them and a deal will be done at the end of 2021 with Port.

I asked again if they were for real and was given a nod and thumbs up.

Not sure Port need him but happy to pick him up.

Met him and his family at the Alberton Hotel (short distance from Port's base) while we were watching Port v Geelong Qualifying Final last year. He left shortly after the game and I said to his family it's nice to see him around these parts and would love to see him alongside Rozee, Butters and Duursma. They said he will be. I said I thought he was a crows man and was told he is but doesn't want to play for them and a deal will be done at the end of 2021 with Port.

I asked again if they were for real and was given a nod and thumbs up.

Not sure Port need him but happy to pick him up.
sounds real.
Didn’t post until now?

good on his family for knowing ports trading plans more than 12 months in advance.

Looking at Rankine's stats since he started and comparing him to Shai Bolton who is 14 moths older but was drafted 2 years prior
Rankine is tracking at the same rate as Bolton was in the same year of his career.

So basically as of next year he will start getting more midfield time and increase his production both in goals and possessions
Kid is a gun and will get to that level.

I have seen him post this on the port board mths ago . Still doesn't mean it's correct but has definitely been said before.
Wait i assumed it was a troll post, he isn't trying to be serious is he?

The idea that Rankine and his family is just telling complete strangers that he is going to leave and the idea that he can guarantee the Suns will get a deal done for him while still contracted is pretty funny.

10/10 story though

Growing Whispers emanating that Rankine will ask for a trade at the end of the season

Crows in a good position to swoop.

Gold Coast is in need of experienced leaders too, enter "Mad Dog" Mackay who should be available.

It's all nicely falling into place.

Growing Whispers emanating that Rankine will ask for a trade at the end of the season

Crows in a good position to swoop.
With Gold Coast supposedly looking to trade out their 1st pick this year, you'd think the only way a trade could happen is if they're getting a quality player(s) in return. Makes a trade pretty difficult

With Gold Coast supposedly looking to trade out their 1st pick this year, you'd think the only way a trade could happen is if they're getting a quality player(s) in return. Makes a trade pretty difficult
bit out of left field, but maybe the crows could let M Crouch walk to GC on a lower contract that what they might need to pay normally to ward off a matching bid (ie not look to match) so that GC get a ready made quality mid in the right age bracket and then offer up their 2nd rounder for Rankine so essentially GC get a good 2nd and M Crouch who will instantly improve their midfield without hurting their salary cap. Rankine right now is not worth a high end pick based on exposed form. I doubt the crows would be trading their top 10 pick this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bit out of left field, but maybe the crows could let M Crouch walk to GC on a lower contract that what they might need to pay normally to ward off a matching bid (ie not look to match) so that GC get a ready made quality mid in the right age bracket and then offer up their 2nd rounder for Rankine so essentially GC get a good 2nd and M Crouch who will instantly improve their midfield without hurting their salary cap. Rankine right now is not worth a high end pick based on exposed form. I doubt the crows would be trading their top 10 pick this year
I’m pretty sure you’d hand over your top 10 pick for a contracted Rankine, exposed form or not. You’d absolutely not get near him otherwise

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure you’d hand over your top 10 pick for a contracted Rankine, exposed form or not. You’d not absolutely not get near him otherwise
I would be wanting to wait till next year when he is out of contract and he would be much cheaper then as GC can rightly hold him to his contract now. But we need top end mids to go with the guys we have and with a top 7 pick we are sure to get a good one in this draft.

The unknown is if M Crouch does want to explore FA, would a team offer a silly contract to him? - maybe maybe not but if it was at all possible to get band 1 compo for him it would open the door for a top 10 pick top go to GC for Rankine..but that is very unlikely (crouch getting band 1) imo

Just got home from great nite out..
Rankine and Gold Coast second pick for schache and Wallis and dogs first …

I would be wanting to wait till next year when he is out of contract and he would be much cheaper then as GC can rightly hold him to his contract now. But we need top end mids to go with the guys we have and with a top 7 pick we are sure to get a good one in this draft.

The unknown is if M Crouch does want to explore FA, would a team offer a silly contract to him? - maybe maybe not but if it was at all possible to get band 1 compo for him it would open the door for a top 10 pick top go to GC for Rankine..but that is very unlikely (crouch getting band 1) imo
The thing is Rankine would only be cheaper next year if he has another disappointing year, imagine he beaks out next year and becomes the superstar we all know he can be.

I would be staggered if Matt got a band 1 type contract coming off a year where he will barely have played. I don't see why a rebuilding team would give it to him and i can't see a contender a) having the cap space and b) seeing him as the needle pusher.

I am still extremely high on this kid, i saw enough last year to get very excited about. Not many established small forwards would look good in that GC team yet alone a raw kid with still a lot of room to grow.

The thing is Rankine would only be cheaper next year if he has another disappointing year, imagine he beaks out next year and becomes the superstar we all know he can be.

I would be staggered if Matt got a band 1 type contract coming off a year where he will barely have played. I don't see why a rebuilding team would give it to him and i can't see a contender a) having the cap space and b) seeing him as the needle pusher.

I am still extremely high on this kid, i saw enough last year to get very excited about. Not many established small forwards would look good in that GC team yet alone a raw kid with still a lot of room to grow.
No doubt he has the talent and if he really took the bit by the horn he could be elite. I have always thought he has the skillset to be as close a player to andy mcleod as there has been since. However it would ultimately come down to him if he wants to stay or go and if he wants to go he will nominate a team like every player does

Time will tell as none of us know either way

No doubt he has the talent and if he really took the bit by the horn he could be elite. I have always thought he has the skillset to be as close a player to andy mcleod as there has been since. However it would ultimately come down to him if he wants to stay or go and if he wants to go he will nominate a team like every player does

Time will tell as none of us know either way
Good news for you , I heard he is homesick , not sure GCS can ask for anything more in return if he nominate Adelaide .

Good news for you , I heard he is homesick , not sure GCS can ask for anything more in return if he nominate Adelaide .

Seeing Rankine is contracted, it means this could genuinely get messy on our end.

If you don't mind me asking, how have you seen Izaks season?

GC would rightly ask a very high price this year if a club came calling. But who knows and if GC can get morehelp fromthe AFLin the form of say alistair clarkson it would certainly buy them time as you would imagine most players would love to play under him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back