Recommitted Jared Polec [contracted and staying at North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mmmmm big lessons for clubs thinking the mature option is the safer option

Polec and Wingard aren't bad players, but they're not transformational. I'd take either at WC right now (at the right price) given we have a fairly experienced side and are targeting contending now, but I wouldn't chase them if I was Freo with their list profile.

The thing is, I didn't think North needed Polec, they had far more pressing holes on their list that needed addressing.

Seems like a political move to prove to their fans and everyone else they could snag a big name.

It's far from the worst trade that has been made, just a waste of time, salary cap space and some good picks from North's end.

I don’t see how that is particularly relevant when they didn’t move clubs in the same trade period. Sounds like you were trolling 2 years ago, talking up a Richmond player in your own hypothetical trade, and still think it’s funny how clever you are.

And saying North gave up a first round pick for him is a bit misleading, they were already losing that pick to a Thomas bid.

Ultimately, it’s just one of these trades that was ill timed for both player and club. Polec could play and clearly still can but his one way finishing, cherry on top style, isn’t what a rebuilding club needs. If Brown was in form and Cunnington fit it might have turned Out entirely differently.

You’re speaking to the guy who regularly bumps the Pruess Tyson trade thread to tell everyone how good Soldo is.

Surprised at the lack of interest, but there’s definitely some odd vibes about Polec. Admitted pretty early on in the piece his move to North was motivated by money, which most suspected anyway, but he was really upfront about it. Have also heard some weird stories about him from his Brisbane days.

There was one year at Port he was one of the premier wingers in the competition, and was ultra damaging finishing inside 50.

If his contract is heavily front ended and your squad already has a few star players already he’s worth a look in. Won’t ever be an elite player, but is still a very good B/B+ midfielder with a fair bit of X-factor. His best footy is great to watch.

The thing is, I didn't think North needed Polec, they had far more pressing holes on their list that needed addressing.

Seems like a political move to prove to their fans and everyone else they could snag a big name.

It's far from the worst trade that has been made, just a waste of time, salary cap space and some good picks from North's end.

Outside run with good disposal was 100% our most pressing need going into the 2019 season.

He actually had a really good 2019 season and he has been somewhat of a scapegoat in my opinion this season. He got dropped after his best game for the season, which was just strange. Plenty of others should have gone before him.

At the end of the day he is only 27 with plenty of footy ahead of him. The salary he is on is irrelevant as we had money to burn.

In terms of using a high draft pick on him, actually look at the facts. If we kept that pick we would have burned it with a Thomas bid. We could have potentially tried to skip ahead of the Thomas bid, but it was still an unknown where clubs rated Thomas.
Also trading up in the super draft wasn’t exactly an easy option either, as most clubs wanted to hang onto their picks.

The only other option was to trade it for a future pick. The club was having at crack for finals in 2019 and it didn’t work out. We will wear it and move on.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

North over paid as were desperate to land someone not worth that much money.
But Is more than a serviceable player I'm not sure what's gone wrong but is best 18 all day everyday.

I have been wrong before, but reading the comments from Shaw in this article, it would suggest to me that Polec's papers at North are stamped.

North would probably only get a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick for him, plus they would have pay a portion of his salary for the next 3 years.

Would probably consider that deal carlton; given our flag window is about to open, and we could use a bit more speed in our team.

Makes you wonder how big of a rift has occured between he and Rhyce Shaw though.

I have been wrong before, but reading the comments from Shaw in this article, it would suggest to me that Polec's papers at North are stamped.

North would probably only get a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick for him, plus they would have pay a portion of his salary for the next 3 years.

Would probably consider that deal carlton; given our flag window is about to open, and we could use a bit more speed in our team.

Makes you wonder how big of a rift has occured between he and Rhyce Shaw though.
Struggling to figure why we would trade him out for unders, plus pay part of his salary?

He's contracted through to 2023, unless he tries to force his way out in a Cam McCarthy type situation, there's no reason for us to move him on for peanuts this off season.

My team has had probably the most trade failures in the league, but damn, nice use of the war chest.

Also, not sure if it has been mentioned but Mitch Cleary is also suggesting Polec is gawn

Struggling to figure why we would trade him out for unders, plus pay part of his salary?

He's contracted through to 2023, unless he tries to force his way out in a Cam McCarthy type situation, there's no reason for us to move him on for peanuts this off season.
Thing is Polec seems to be the type of bloke who’d happily collect big coin to play VFL so North have something to gain from exploring this is think?

Polec over looked again. That 4 of the last 6 matches.
Strong message considering the roos only have 28 players to choose from due to injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polec over looked again. That 4 of the last 6 matches.
Strong message considering the roos only have 28 players to choose from due to injury
And the season slowly coming to an end, Currently getting money for Jam but whats the clubs intentions
Looking like Shaw doesn't like or want him.

Polec should learn to run both ways as football these days is all about defensive setups and support

He was brought in as icing for finals but on the outer with Shaw now. Hanging on to him is going to do more harm than good while you're rebuilding.

You could cut your losses and start fresh with a new player in that spot. With a reduced list forecast, there'll be lot of players up for grabs this year and it is the best time clear out the "don't wants" and fast track your rebuild.

Shaw using him as a tagger is more then half the problem
He is obviously trying to teach him a lesson, but no idea what that is. When we plays wing he is a very effective player. Not every player is good at everything, I dont see WB dropping Daniel for not taking enough contested marks.
Still, I doubt we are thinking of trading him. It would make the whole 'teaching him a lesson' thing pointless.

He is obviously trying to teach him a lesson, but no idea what that is. When we plays wing he is a very effective player. Not every player is good at everything, I dont see WB dropping Daniel for not taking enough contested marks.
Still, I doubt we are thinking of trading him. It would make the whole 'teaching him a lesson' thing pointless.
All depends how he takes the lesson all reports are he has taken it on the chin and done well in scratch matches so that's encouraging.

All indications after the practice match a few days ago is Polec is in next week for the Port game.

If he is not named then it is curtains.

How can it be curtains when you have to keep him if no one will trade for him?He's at north next year no Matter what unless you can find a taker for his contract.

How can it be curtains when you have to keep him if no one will trade for him?He's at north next year no Matter what unless you can find a taker for his contract.

I've really got no doubt if we shop Polec somebody will take him on. I'm not yet in the camp we will shop him but that view will change if he doesn't play next week.

I've really got no doubt if we shop Polec somebody will take him on. I'm not yet in the camp we will shop him but that view will change if he doesn't play next week.

Who do you think will take him on? I can't see a buyer personally.

Who do you think will take him on? I can't see a buyer personally.

Let's not pretend Polec isn't a very good player in particular as a finishing product. He's in the wrong team. I'm not going to start handing him off to clubs not knowing the parameters of the salary cap and squad lists in 2021 but he'd find a home in most of the current top 12 IMO, especially if we're carrying par of his salary.

Despite that, I think right now he's at North next year.

Not sure what lesson apart from running 2 ways shaw could possibly be teaching him unless its a new position which would be difficult with a player like Polec who is basically an outside player /wingman /HFF he turns 28 in october with 3 years left on his deal which he will complete or get paid.

With Polec what you see is what you get a foward running winger that averages 18-20 touches a game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back