Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, every time I look at the morning's press there is a different club involved in JHF finding his way to Port. This morning GWS are involved, albeit on the periphery. This has the potential to be the most convoluted trade in AFL history. I guess I shouldn't complain if it gets the job done but it is getting harder to follow with each passing day.

It looks like the JHF deal as we know gives North picks #1 and #2 and GWS then trade trade pick #3 and either pick#12 or #15 to the Roos for pick#1 which allows GWS to pick up Aaron Cadman. Obviously the JHF/ Rioli deals have to go ahead before this can occur so that puts more pressure on WCE and North to do a deal. As I see it pressure to get the deal done is not a bad thing for us.

If Cadman does not interest North and they finish with the #2 pick they loose nothing and pick up another first round pick. According to Jon Ralph the Roos may then offer the #12 or #15 for St Kilda's Hunter Clark. As Ralph presents it the sticking point is WCE, who have to agree to sliding from #2 to #8 in this year's draft in return for giving us Rioli and taking our first and second round future picks. Last week Ralph wrote that next year's Draft is well blessed with WA talent which may make '23 Draft more palatable to West Coast than this year's draft. If that is true sliding in the '22 Draft in order to get two firsts and two seconds in the '23 Draft may be very attractive to West Coast.

I think it is safe to assume we have put our best offer on the table and we are waiting on other clubs to agree. It is also easy to see why North is taking as long as possible over the deal. In the last 24 hours GWS has surfaced with a proposition so North probably figure the longer they wait the better chance of adding some extras.

The Ratagolea deal may depend on us arranging a suitable trade for Riley Bonner.

Last edited:
Leon Davis, Presti and Heath Scotland and we said no to all. Yikes.

So do they all chat in hallways like that pic of Davies and Rawlings over the weekend or do the eat doughnuts and take a break?
e44e8590-e28c-4596-8928-4b2ad514de65_text.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David King begging North to keep pick 1 and pick Cadman his no wrong but his desperate.
If they just did the fair deal we have offered it wouldn't have come to this lol .

David King begging North to keep pick 1 and pick Cadman his no wrong but his desperate.
If they just did the fair deal we have offered it wouldn't have come to this lol .
I’m not sure why north wouldn’t be all in on getting pick 2 from west coast and give up the idea they need something else on top..

Would allow them to pick wardlaw (or sheezel or whoever they want) plus cadman, which is a good balance for their list to walk away with those 2.

Leon Davis, Presti and Heath Scotland and we said no to all. Yikes.

That's not quite how the Stevens non trade played out.

Mark Williams has always maintained that he would have swapped Didak for Stevens. That deal was rumoured to have been agreed but when Malthouse came back from overseas he said no. Not sure Didak was keen on leaving either.

Williams thought Collingwood were ahead in that trade because Stevens was an established quality midfielder while Didak was more about promise, which he probably has never really delivered. Williams was willing to do the deal because he knew Stevens wanted to go.

We had other players we were interested in and they included Davis and Prestigiacomo. Collingwood took them all off the table and offered only second stringers like McGough and Scotland (in hindsight he would have been a useful player) and their first round pick which was too late.

Rumour also had it Port agreed a trade with Melbourne in the dying minutes of trade week for pick 5 and Stevens finally said yes. But they couldn't get the paperwork done in time.

Neil Balme was head of Collingwood's football ops at the time and blamed Port for being too difficult to deal with. But Collingwood struggled to get trades done for years after that fiasco.

Anyone wanna trade Fancisssses? We’ll give you Aaron for Jason + Ken Hinkley. Any takers ?

Cadman is a top 5 talent but not a clear #1. North's midfield is horrific so they need elite mids desperately.

Wardlaw and Tsatas are a great pair to build their midfield around both being from Oakleigh Chargers.
On paper their midfield is not horrific. LDU is very good. Simpkin is good. They would hope Phillips can get on the park. And Powell has talent.

Their tall forwards consists of Nick Larkey ( and Zurhaar I guess) and various no name spuds. They desperately need tall forward talent and Cadman can offer that. He also plays a bit different to Larkey with his work up the ground and athleticism.

If they don't go for Cadman it is another enormous fail in recruiting which they seem to make every year.

I’m not sure why north wouldn’t be all in on getting pick 2 from west coast and give up the idea they need something else on top..

Would allow them to pick wardlaw (or sheezel or whoever they want) plus cadman, which is a good balance for their list to walk away with those 2.

Yes if North then do the GWS deal they would finish with picks #2, #3 and either #12 or #15 . If they do not plan on taking Cadman at #1 they have lost nothing and have open access to the two best mid fielders in the Draft. On top of that they can use the #12 or#15 to trade for Hunter Clark who is apparently on their shopping list. North loose Horne- Francis, who is going to go anyway, but gain 3 players. It is a win for North but as I posted previously they will probably wait to see if there are any better offers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back