Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Love the comments on your board “ wait till Zurhaar gets him”.. so cringe

“Gunna be worse for the kid”, little boos from your small crowd wow so scared
View attachment 1528040
I’m not sure you saw the media pile on last year, pretty grotesque at times, now it’ll be that kid who sold out.
emotional kid, who’s universally hated. What could go wrong.

True, but the alternate thinking also works.

The mix of quality year to year is "random" ie not tied to draft conditions.
So at the start of the draft year, with Pick 1, you would want who you think is the best player in the draft. And if that is taken away from you for whatever reason like f/s, you do not get access to the best player in the draft because another club stumps up lower picks according to a formula to move ahead of you.
So picks 35, 47, 49, 56 , 82, 477, etc are out, and a pick ahead of pick 1 comes in, which is not yours. You do not have the best player anymore. Ergo, you have pick 2.
I don't mind that, but it still ignores that not every team has access to that player. When you think at the start of the draft year who the best player might be you already know you can't touch the f/s players realistically.

It's exactly the same as how pick 1 in 2022 is not the same value as pick 1 in 2021 despite being the same pick. Different draft pool, different players available, different pick value.

Not sure what Melbourne are wanting for Jackson but this trumps what Freo could likely offer due to our higher pick if he is truely happy to go to either WA club.

Port send pick 8 and future first to Melbourne for Jackson.

Jackson goes to WC for pick 2.

Pick 2 goes to North with Ports 33.

JHF to Port (deal with Rioli separately).
You know what, if nothing that Port can offer will meet North's needs, I'd love to see the first line of trade scenario go through.

Only the first line.

Look you can play it down as much as you like

the facts are “ a good player you don’t want loose will be required “ end of story

we can’t all be wrong inc the neutral

stop taking the piss out of NM and WC

Your Club and that stupid imbecile kochie did know to get JHF going to cost big time

U need sell the farm or give up looking very stupid as a club
I haven’t played anything down. I am putting forward the idea that people are saying our future first will be late teens might not be right. I know Horne Francis will be great for us if we get him, and I am happy for us to trade a significant amount. You are hardly neutral and if you have read any of my posts you will see that I haven’t taken the piss out of west coast or north Melbourne. But I am not sure you are intelligent enough to look past the fact that i support port, therefore I must be bad.

I'm been wondering what deal North could make with Brisbane if they had pick #1 and pick #2 - to not be interested in Ashcroft until #3 comes along. It would be worth something to them
Its a good question.
The difference between F/s discounted 1 and 3 is worth a mid 20s pick.
Just not sure what we can get away with before we fall foul of the draft tampering provisions.

They can’t get both with 8, 33 and f1.

But they need extra capital to get both deals done, and it’s unlikely Bonner will be enough.
Agree with the first sentence. Don't necessarily agree with the second (at least if you also throw 43 and 53 in). In a world where Brisbane have 21 just sitting there and are in desperate need of draft points, somebody like a Bonner/Drew/Farrell isn't enough to get that pick in a straight swap, but they probably are enough to get a pick that's high enough to be packaged up with 43 and 53 to be worth Brisbane's while draft points wise. And 8, F1, 21 and 33 I think would be enough.

I know…..

My point being, he’d more than likely be signed up to a new long term deal by proxy.
So the problem is he could do a Jack Martin and say I want $1.2 million a year, so if you drafted him you’d have to pay him that knowing he probably won’t bother to train or play for you

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a good question.
The difference between F/s discounted 1 and 3 is worth a mid 20s pick.
Just not sure what we can get away with before we fall foul of the draft tampering provisions.

North can suggest Ashcroft interviewed really, really averagely. Brisbane can go on trade radio and stick up for their father son while winking at North. Lots of innuendo about attitude etc. The media will love it. The AFL will love the added hype it brings.

Poor Ashcroft though gets a drive by shooting out of the blue.

Agree with the first sentence. Don't necessarily agree with the second (at least if you also throw 43 and 53 in). In a world where Brisbane have 21 just sitting there and are in desperate need of draft points, somebody like a Bonner/Drew/Farrell isn't enough to get that pick in a straight swap, but they probably are enough to get a pick that's high enough to be packaged up with 43 and 53 to be worth Brisbane's while draft points wise. And 8, F1, 21 and 33 I think would be enough.
So if Brisbane play ball, you’d offer 21 to WC and the others to us?

I love how 8 and F1 isn't enough so Ports answer is to just involve more clubs but continue to give up the same picks. Not going to make up the difference that way
Those are the picks we have, genius. Unfortunately we weren't so historically s**t that the AFL felt they had to give us extra picks for free to stop us from folding this year, so we can't just make new picks out of nothing like some clubs.

I don't mind that, but it still ignores that not every team has access to that player. When you think at the start of the draft year who the best player might be you already know you can't touch the f/s players realistically.

It's exactly the same as how pick 1 in 2022 is not the same value as pick 1 in 2021 despite being the same pick. Different draft pool, different players available, different pick value.
But that's the randomness part I'm talking about.
You can't factor in the overall quality or depth of quality between years, because it is random.

But you can say, on average, that pick 1 of an unrestricted draft would be incrementally better than pick 2 of an unrestricted draft. And that is the situation with F/s or academy picks disrupting the order and compromising the draft.

But in the end, I agree with you in that's its something you can't control so we shouldn't obsess over it.

So if Brisbane play ball, you’d offer 21 to WC and the others to us?
If it was a straight swap with no JHF, 33 alone should be enough for Rioli, unlike JHF he's out of contract and will get to us in the PSD if West Coast don't take something for him. They won't redraft him, they're not willing to match Port's contract offer for him. If they were, they'd have done so a month ago and we wouldn't be talking about Rioli to Port in the first place.

Depends whether North would rather 8 + F1 + 21 or 2 + 33 I guess. If they'd rather the latter, then West Coast gets 21 for Rioli (which is overs) instead as an extra incentive to give up pick 2 for the two firsts.

Buyer: we just put an offer on this beautiful home. $600k. Agreed with the real estate and home owner. We want to move in in 30 days.

Bank: well currently you have 4 properties, including the place you live, our calcs indicate you will have to sell one of your current properties to buy the new one.

Buyer: na, we want to buy the new one, but also keep all our old homes.

Bank: yeah, but, you can’t afford that. You are going to have sell something.

Buyer: but those homes are part of our future.

Bank: well thats fine. But it means you won’t be able to afford the new home.

Buyer: but the buyer has already accepted our offer on the new home, and it’s what we really want.

Bank: but you can’t afford it without selling something. I don’t know what more I can do to explain this. I know you love your current homes, but if you don’t get rid of one, you can’t afford the value of the new one. The new home is worth $600k, you can fund a loan up to $400k. So unless the seller is an idiot, they aren’t going to sell you a $600k house, for $400k. You need to give up something of value.

(From another poster on the north board. Reposted as hopefully it'll help port supporters understand the situation).

North can suggest Ashcroft interviewed really, really averagely. Brisbane can go on trade radio and stick up for their father son while winking at North. Lots of innuendo about attitude etc. The media will love it. The AFL will love the added hype it brings.

Poor Ashcroft though gets a drive by shooting out of the blue.
Hopefully North have learnt from JHF and take Ashcroft like they should have DAICOS TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE OF BEING THE #1 pick from who ever they eventually select.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back