Player Watch Jason Horne-Francis - You were always one of us

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a totally different conversation. One is a role player, the other is the captain and a top 3 player in the team on a 10 year/$10 million contract. If Rozee doesn't come to play it can cost us the game. Now that he's captain, his performance carries even more weight. He gets assessed on being that player and it's a much more demanding assessment than McEntee. That's called reality, everywhere except this board I guess.

What are you talking about?
You pot Rozee like he’s been captain for 100 games. You give him zero grace and expect him to be getting 3 votes every week while your mate gets away with being a traffic cone literally getting 3 touches a game and that’s ok.

As I said, bizarre.

Arguably the greatest player in modern football never had a left foot in Martin. But you wouldn't notice or care because his field kicking inside and outside of the boot was sublime, and he could checkside it like no other player has before.

I think being a double sided kicker is a pretty low priority for most AFL players. There are much more important traits to pick up, especially for the Horney One. Consistency across the game would be one thing.

I think being a double sided kicker is a pretty low priority for most AFL players. There are much more important traits to pick up,

Like how to Tik Tok and launch a clothing label.

2nd in the league for centre clearances per game (3.6), attending 56% of the contests

Libatore is top for centre clearances per game (3.8) from 75%

1 in 4 centre bounces JHF gets the clearance which puts him way ahead of the rest
And that's been roving to a mixture of Soldo, Sweet, Dante, Dixon and Finlayson. Imagine if he had Gawn, Grundy or Witts putting it on his tit

Great to see Hoff around the club. Not our best ever player but still my favorite I think. People liked to hate on him but he was the ultimate utility, could literally play any position on the ground. I said it when he retired, you just cannot replace a player like him easily.

Was Jonas or Cassisi ever our best player in their eras? Boak? Total non issue.
The problem with those examples is that Jonas and Cassisi weren’t premiership captains. The captain doesn’t have to be the best player but he should be able to stand up in a crisis, lift his game when the pressure is highest and inspire his teammates. Connor is very early in his captaincy, but what is bothering some supporters here is that he hasn’t ostensibly lifted when our backs are against the wall. Often it’s Butters or JHF who look like they are giving a damn and trying to get us back in it when we’ve lost momentum or started poorly. Connor needs to have some big games and big moments against the very best opppsition. He has occasionally but it needs to be a given. He went to water against Collingwood a few weeks ago, while JHF was straining every sinew to stop the run of goals against us in that second half

Arguably the greatest player in modern football never had a left foot in Martin. But you wouldn't notice or care because his field kicking inside and outside of the boot was sublime, and he could checkside it like no other player has before.

I think being a double sided kicker is a pretty low priority for most AFL players. There are much more important traits to pick up, especially for the Horney One. Consistency across the game would be one thing.
There were times on Friday night when Mead’s left foot came in handy.

There were times on Friday night when Mead’s left foot came in handy.
I reckon Mead is more reliant on having a left because he is relatively slow and not agile. But I agree it is a good trait for him to have.

The Horney One can easily dodge, weave and accelerate to get back on his right and then find a target.

He did a left foot kick inside 50 during Q3 I think.

Not many AFL players are great on both feet. There aren't too many Jason Akermanis' out there. I suspect JHF isn't much worse than others on his opposite foot, it's probably more a case of he's just so good at that crafty outside of the foot kick that he's better off going with that most of the time.
Of our modern era players I only can think of Roger James capable of executing a decent kick on both sides. I have noticed Butters use his left foot on occasions. But other than that maybe Tredders perhaps, but that’ll be only over a long distance.

It's a totally different conversation. One is a role player, the other is the captain and a top 3 player in the team on a 10 year/$10 million contract. If Rozee doesn't come to play it can cost us the game. Now that he's captain, his performance carries even more weight. He gets assessed on being that player and it's a much more demanding assessment than McEntee. That's called reality, everywhere except this board I guess.
This is where we disagree.

A player is a player.

You have to judge a player on their role and how difficult that role is and then you judge how well they do that role, against other players doing the same thing.

Rozee has two AAs at 23 years old.
Rozee and Butters got us into finals in their first year fully together in the midfield.
They both didn't play great in finals, no doubt, but they've done a lot.
They are both match winners on their day and contribute strongly even when a bit down.
Rozee plays the most important and thus most difficult role on the ground and has been elite for two years, basically when he started in the guts full time.
There is not much to upgrade there. You wouldn't really want to trade him.

McEntee is playing one of the easiest roles in the game, half back seagull aside, he is a defensive forward.
As I've stated, on Wheelo he is 507th overall this year and kicking goals at a rate of 0.26 a game.
He also didn't play well in finals and doesn't play well at all.
He is super replaceable. If you got Kosi Pickett or Bobby Hill that is around a 3 to 5 goal turnaround a game just from that one position.
That is very significant. Jed doesn't kick many goals nor create many goals. He also fluffs up goals but that happens.

So I would rather Jed's role be turned into a goal kicking, creative small forward role who has some defensive play rather than what he does.

The issue with the way you judge players is that you keep mediocre players playing just because they fulfil a role and don't even do it that well in it when you could upgrade the role and change the whole dynamic of the forward line.

JedHeads, they are just that irrational friend who everything thinks is on drugs but you know they are gun barrel straight. In the end, I appreciate the support for the bottom of the end rotation player that he gets from the JHs but I'm gonna tee off on it once in a while.

I will say, because I want to leave this post on a positive note, that I loved angry Jed smacking into Stewart on the weekend. When I saw that I said to myself, we're on today and we ended up with the chocolates.

This is where we disagree.

A player is a player.

You have to judge a player on their role and how difficult that role is and then you judge how well they do that role, against other players doing the same thing.

Rozee has two AAs at 23 years old.
Rozee and Butters got us into finals in their first year fully together in the midfield.
They both didn't play great in finals, no doubt, but they've done a lot.
They are both match winners on their day and contribute strongly even when a bit down.
Rozee plays the most important and thus most difficult role on the ground and has been elite for two years, basically when he started in the guts full time.
There is not much to upgrade there. You wouldn't really want to trade him.

McEntee is playing one of the easiest roles in the game, half back seagull aside, he is a defensive forward.
As I've stated, on Wheelo he is 507th overall this year and kicking goals at a rate of 0.26 a game.
He also didn't play well in finals and doesn't play well at all.
He is super replaceable. If you got Kosi Pickett or Bobby Hill that is around a 3 to 5 goal turnaround a game just from that one position.
That is very significant. Jed doesn't kick many goals nor create many goals. He also fluffs up goals but that happens.

So I would rather Jed's role be turned into a goal kicking, creative small forward role who has some defensive play rather than what he does.

The issue with the way you judge players is that you keep mediocre players playing just because they fulfil a role and don't even do it that well in it when you could upgrade the role and change the whole dynamic of the forward line.

JedHeads, they are just that irrational friend who everything thinks is on drugs but you know they are gun barrel straight. In the end, I appreciate the support for the bottom of the end rotation player that he gets from the JHs but I'm gonna tee off on it once in a while.

I will say, because I want to leave this post on a positive note, that I loved angry Jed smacking into Stewart on the weekend. When I saw that I said to myself, we're on today and we ended up with the chocolates.
If you find a Kosi Pickett or Bobby Hill just lying around somewhere, plying their trade in the state leagues, let the club know and they will pick them up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of our modern era players I only can think of Roger James capable of executing a decent kick on both sides. I have noticed Butters use his left foot on occasions. But other than that maybe Tredders perhaps, but that’ll be only over a long distance.
Some AFL players can’t kick on either foot! But yes Roger James the best recently, Brian Cunningham is the best Port player I have ever seen on either foot you literally couldn’t tell if he was left or right footed.

When you have a don't argue like Dusty has, you can get back onto your right foot. Dusty has kicked left foot goals in his career.

Some AFL players can’t kick on either foot! But yes Roger James the best recently, Brian Cunningham is the best Port player I have ever seen on either foot you literally couldn’t tell if he was left or right footed.
Brian Cunningham was great on his left footy, Russell was good on it. Russell was a lot better player than Bucky.

That's what I'm getting at, the best player in the league doesn't have to be the greatest kick on his non preferred side, but he has to be competent to good, on it.

As it currently sits. JHF Ranks as

• 1st for Centre Clearance / CBA ratio
    • A whopping 34% better than the next best in Liberatore
  • 2nd for Centre Clearances
  • 11th for Total Clearances
The biggest difference in JHF stats' compared to his peers is his relatively low Centre Bounce Attendance rates. Liberatore attends 20% more centre bounces but only .2 more clearances.

When this guy gets to 70-80% CBAs, it's going to be frightening.

He's tracking to be one of the most dominant center bounce midfielder in the competition.

To put that into perspective, Dangerfield in his Brownlow year averaged 3.5 Centre clearances per game (Centre bounce attendances weren't tracked back then)

1715575523860.png

The biggest difference in JHF stats' compared to his peers is his relatively low Centre Bounce Attendance rates. Liberatore attends 20% more centre bounces but only .2 more clearances.

He's tracking to be one of the most dominant center bounce midfielder in the competition.

To put that into perspective, Dangerfield in his Brownlow year averaged 3.5 Centre clearances per game (Centre bounce attendances weren't tracked back then)

View attachment 1987993
bloody hell, thats scary good

Jason did use his left on the weekend, the pass into the centre to Rioli but that was the 100m incident. Whilst it was only a 20-25m pass, it looked Ok. I don’t think Willy was expecting it and reacted late - I think next time Willy would lead into the space for Jason.

Agree about Brian Cunningham. He was so good he even took some set shots on his left if he was right of centre

View attachment 1987993

Really need the umpires to keep an eye out.. already players are scragging, hanging on, basically tackling him before he gets the ball. If the umps are actually watching he'll draw free kicks like crazy. There's virtually no one who can match his first few steps of pace so they hang on for dear life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back