Jim Stynes Standing Down Thursday?

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 9 News have just reported that Jim is standing down tomorrow (Thursday) reportedly due to illness. More on this tomorrow apparently.

I hope for one it isn't true- he has showed great spirit trying to turn your club around and really been a massive part of your off-field resurgence.

:confused:

Geeez, I hope this another one of those Hutchy blunders...

Channel 7 hasn't reported anything just now in their update and I cant find anything on the channel 9 website.

I saw the nine news update and before they sighted illness as the supposed reason for the standing down, i thought it might have had something to do with that story in the paper today about melbourne hiring strippers in the 90's.

if the illness part is true hope its nothing terminal or serious. if it is it would seem sorta ironic that the holder of the most consecutive games record has been struck down in his prime:(

REVEALED: MELBOURNE Football Club president Jim Stynes is expected to step down to fight a health problem.
Stynes, 43, is believed to have told board members, senior staff and friends of his plans tonight.

A media conference is expected this morning.

The 1991 Brownlow medallist and former ruck great is understood to face surgery later this week.

He was unavailable for comment tonight.

The Irishman, who came to Australia in the mid-1980s and played 264 games with the Demons, is married with young children.

Stynes is in his second season as president after replacing Paul Gardner mid-season last year.

He represents one of the most inspiring stories in the game, playing a record 244 games in a row from 1987-98. He has been described as "Australia's most successful sporting experiment''.

Stynes was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 2003 and Melbourne's Hall of Fame in 2006. He was named Victorian of the Year in 2001 and 2003 for his work with the Reach Foundation, a group committed to helping youth.

Since taking over the presidency he has preached persistence and optimism, with the promise of ultimate success for players and fans.

Earlier this year, he sat with the cheer squad behind the goals at the MCG during a Melbourne game.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25720997-661,00.html

worst :(

Terrible news and if it's the worst and he can't come back then I know that this isn't the time to say it but we're stuffed. Get well soon Jimmy-Melbourne's hero and saviour:(

What the....?????

Christ... I hope whatever health issue this is, that it's something he can bounce back from before too long, and that he takes up his Presidency of the club again in the near future.

This is a huge, HUGE shock...

Terrible news, I'm a bit worried though as Jimmy dosn't seem like the kind of bloke to step down unless it is really serious.

Please get well soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if garry lyon has testicles he will step up to the plate and assist the club even short term

the dees need a marketable president at this current stage

cheers

I agree, I just hope he has some G-d damn Testicles!!

Very sorry to hear of Jim Stynes illness.
I loved him as a player and he was doing great things for your club as the president.

I hope everything works out and he makes a speedy recovery.

Good luck the the club.

Thanks for the thought PE - yeah, hope like hell he recovers quickly and can return to his role at the club soon...

if garry lyon has testicles he will step up to the plate and assist the club even short term

the dees need a marketable president at this current stage

cheers

I hope its not what we think but if not:

Agreed..... Its on the line Garry.

Don't think do!

Before anything else, I hope that whatever it is, he can get over it. Certainly unexpected.

Secondly, ****.

Let's pray it's not life threatening, he is a remarkable human being, his life outside footy has matched those amazing deeds of his career, good luck Jimmy.

Shocking news. He is a quality human being and a dad of young kids so hopefully it's something curable that just needs his full attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back