Review Dees v the Blood-Stained Angels: the Good, Bad & Downright Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Cold night last to be at the game and the long walk back to richmond station. This is my take.

STRATEGY:
We have been figured out and our style of play has been dismantled. Specifically Wing to Half forward Synergy totally cut off with Oppositions (Past month including West coast, North) Intercepting marking at will across the line. There is no forward opportunities that seem accustomed to what we are actually aiming to do. We kick long when we should go short and vice versa. Teams know our pressure acts are down and simply line up your intercept marking and you get a fresh reload, pick a wing and you can short kick away your build up offence.

I think its mainly tactical how we are struggling.

Spot on.
Good news is that there is a simple fix here. Bad news is that Goodwin has failed to recognise it.

More play on from a mark, more looking into the centre through the midfield, less taking the easy chip down the boundary line.

Throw away the stupid 3/4 pitching wedge kick into the F50 which every defender in the comp can read and knows where it’s going.

Kick it where our forwards want it instead of where our data analysts want it.

Spot on.
Good news is that there is a simple fix here. Bad news is that Goodwin has failed to recognise it.

More play on from a mark, more looking into the centre through the midfield, less taking the easy chip down the boundary line.

Throw away the stupid 3/4 pitching wedge kick into the F50 which every defender in the comp can read and knows where it’s going.

Kick it where our forwards want it instead of where our data analysts want it.
Yep we cant possibly ask for more talent and i wouldn't say effort wise we have been bad. Its all tactical and in 2019 with some rules changes including 6-6-6 we really struggled in comparison to a stellar 2018. Now this isn't the same as that. We have banked 10 wins. But we have been slow in past to reinvent the wheel. Lets at least see our ball movement improve against Collingwood. Huge game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good: Somehow we still sit a game clear on top of the ladder after dropping two games.
I thought about this last night, the two losses as much as they suck haven’t exactly caused too much pain from a ladder perspective, wouldn’t want to keep dropping games though.

Good: Somehow we still sit a game clear on top of the ladder after dropping two games.
lot of recent premiership sides have dropped multiple games before the bye, Richmond were 7 and 6 in 2019 for example, we're still in a very strong position as annoying as the last couple of weeks have been.

lot of recent premiership sides have dropped multiple games before the bye, Richmond were 7 and 6 in 2019 for example, we're still in a very strong position as annoying as the last couple of weeks have been.
Think they lost 3 in a row that year too.

West Coast in 2018 too. Won 10 in a row before losing a few on the trot.

Any time Goody wants to stop flooding our forward and take advantage of a fragile defense like Sydney's would be great.

They leak goals for fun, lets help them out by slowing down play and bombing it into a crowded pocket.

Hopefully someone jumps us early in the coming weeks and that forces Goody to open things up coz right now we are own worst enemy. You can practice all the forward connection you want but it wont do s**t if youre kicking it into our F50 with 30 players in it.

******* infuriating that loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to find that aggressive, flowing gear again when needed.

Can't keep thinking we can get 4-5 goals up and lock the game down against good teams.

The good thing is that we controlled the game early against 2 contenders. Bad thing is we were run down and didn't respond against Freo, responded against the Swans but largely squandered the chances.

Kicking 3 goals combined across 2 second halves is, I think, a result of us cruising and locking down second halves against worse teams and getting used to it.

Trac late last year when we were in our slump said we were "boring" with our ball use. Last 2 weeks has been boring. I think it's mostly an unfortunate form slump of our most dynamic players players at once.

Big Queens bday clash against a decent team is a good "opportunity" to get our DNA/Brand back ie winning

Last edited:
Need to find that aggressive, flowing gear again when needed.

Can't keep thinking we can get 4-5 goals up and lock the game down against good teams.

The good thing is that we controlled the game early against 2 contenders. Bad thing is we were run down and didn't respond against Freo, responded against the Swans but largely squandered the chances.

Kicking 3 goals combined across 2 second halves is, I think, a result of us cruising and locking down second halves against worse teams and getting used to it.

Trac late last year when we were in our slump said we were "boring" with our ball use. I think it's mostly an unfortunate form slump of our most dynamic players players at once.

Big Queens bday clash against a decent team is a good "opportunity" to get our DNA/Brand back ie winning
Don't think we were cruising at all in the second half against Swans. We were quite dominant in the third and probably win the game if we used the ball better going forward.

True, sorry, didn't mean to say we were cruising, but that from cruising in large portions of games throughout the year (play 1 dominant burst, then just set up defensively, go long down the line when we have the ball, force another contest, rinse repeat) we had lost a bit of that top-gear which you need to stay with the other top teams when they challenge you.

Other thing is we hadn't had the chance to play many of the in-form sides before the 2 losses. That North game for instance we actually played really poorly. North pretty much gave us more than half of our goals from ridiculous turnovers under little pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back