Review JLT1 2019: Brisbane 102 defeats Hawthorn 60, 3 March 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Made the trip up and spent 1st quarter on the far wing, then the next 3 quarters right at the hawks interchange bench. Thoughts as follows:
1. Two Hawk players were a cut above the rest: Sicily and Impey
2. There were three Old Xavs out there. Golds can play. Has an uncanny knack of getting to where the ball is. Still very light frame but a good selection and lots to work with; CJ is very raw but played 2nd half at half back and had a good crack; Pittonet on the other hand had zero presence on the ground. I would love him to come on, but from what I saw yesterday he offered next to nothing.
3. Nash did a couple of things which had the whole medical team/interchange area laughing at how good he was. One was a tackle and turnover in the middle of the ground; the other when on the end of a coast to coast Scrimshaw/Walker play which Nash goaled
4. Walker should wear number 6 as he is a Tony Hall clone. Let's hope he is as good. Played the 2nd half and panicked when he got the ball first time, but then found his rhythm. Can take a grab as we saw
5. Harry Jones is a work in progress and was getting really frustrated with himself as he kept cramping up and having to come off
6. Jackson Ross, Cegs and Pitts were in a three way rotation, but Ross was not rucking (if that makes sense). Ross is a dead ringer for a young Jonathon Hay the way he lopes around. Let's hope he is in a better headspace. He also looks like Martin Fry, some of you will know who he is from the 80s. To be honest he didn't do much onfield
7. I thought Mirra was one of our best in the 1st qtr. In the second he came to the bench with a leg complaint, but went back on, only to roll his ankle and that was it for him.
8. Brand injured himself in the last qtr. It looked like some sort of achilles injury and his leg has shaking when he came off as he tried to lean on his toes so the doc could check him
9. Glass looked good in the 1st qrt playing wing and drifting forward. he was directly responsible for 2 Brisbane goals with horrid turnovers, but at least both times he was attempting to take the game on
10. Lewis looks best when on searching leads.
11. At times the bench was yelling out SZ, or SZ6. A code but not sure what it means. In one SZ call Impey got up from the bench and was yelling 'devils, devils, devil's play'
12. Timmy Mohr did enough to convince me that he will be more than a handy backup
13. I rate Timmy O and I reckon he was ok yesterday. Copped a whack in the chops in the 1st qtr and had a good amount of claret on his face
14. On 2 occasions we were caught with only 3 in the middle at ball ups. As a player (Sis?) stepped in it stuffed up our 6-6-6 and the opp won frees
15. Scimshaw was serviceable but ran out of puff. Was talking to one of his former assistant coaches at the Suns last week and said he can play, but up there was just lazy. His fitness is not yet at the level we want. Came off with a left shoulder injury but was given a couple of panadols and sent back out
16. Cuz came into it in qtrs 2 and 3.
17. Moore will be a good player
18. I liked the way we draw the opposition to tackle us and we then release. It showed composure at times.
And something on the Lions
We all know it, but Cam Raynor will be a star, if he isnt already. He is entering only his second season but is a cut above. McStay is a unit. As much as we love to hate Mitch Robinson, Sis and Impey were quick to chat and have a laugh with him at the end of the game.
Hodgey is all class and came over to the Hawks bench at game's end to chat to all the staff. Fagan was quick to get to the bench to chat to Clarko.

So there we have it. Outclassed by a bigger and more experienced Lions outfit, but there was a bit to like, esp in qtrs 1 and 3. It was great to see so many Hawks supporters in the crowd. It was pretty much 50:50. Only approx 2000 there was disappointing but made it easy getting in and out.
Go Hawks

Cousins Moore Worpel Scrimshaw Sicily O’Brien Ceglar Lewis glass pittonet Impey Morrison play Brisbane again, but this time joined by:
Frawley Burgoyne Stratton Hardwick O’Meara Shiels Wingard Bruest Puopolo Gunston Scully Henderson

I’m not thinking n embarrassing 40pt loss again, if not a handy win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back