Toast Josh Gibson to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Selfless hero. Such a pleasure to watch. I'm sure the new kids down back have learnt a LOT from training/playing with such a competitive legend.
I hated playing North when he would own Bud, then loved the confidence he gave the back line when he came to us.
Thanks Josh!

Can't find the pic of it, but for me the enduring image of Gibbo will be the spoil he went for a couple of years back where he misjudged it and did a full cartwheel landing on his head in the process.

I fair dinkum assumed he had broken his neck and would be a quad. But he just got up and played on.

Committed guy. What a pickup and what a servant to the club.

Loved every game and rarely beaten. And how can we forget his 3 goals in the brown and gold for a total tally of 5 career goals. Best of luck in the future Gibbo!

Can't find the pic of it, but for me the enduring image of Gibbo will be the spoil he went for a couple of years back where he misjudged it and did a full cartwheel landing on his head in the process.

I fair dinkum assumed he had broken his neck and would be a quad. But he just got up and played on.

Committed guy. What a pickup and what a servant to the club.
It's on the highlights reel on the Hawks website. Seriously lucky to walk away from that.

Seriously smart, disciplined and skilfull player, an era has basically ended with only Burgoyne remaining before it gets too much for me to not start blubbering all over the place. It's gets harder to watch that brilliant era especially 2015 which was the last time these champs went troppo together!!
Lake, Hale, Sammy, Hodge, Gibbo and obviously Jordan! That's Avengers Assemble right there!!

As Clarko mentioned in his presser one of the best trainers out there. Not just for himself but in driving everyone else. One of the most audible in preseason training and a real leader. Even this year he looked great at the start of the season and was really covering the ground until he re-injured his groin in the first preseason game.

In an environment all too eager to dish out awards and adulation to Herrieter Lumumba and Andrew Mackie, Gibson's external awards will always sell him short.

"He doesn't play on anyone"

"He's not a true KPP"

"Easy to get cheap touches with good players around you" (such good players were seldom identified...)

But he is one of the most decorated players from one of the most successful VFL/AFL teams of all time. For a guy that wasn't that big playing a big man's role, Gibbo got every ounce out of his playing career. Skillful, tough, huge footy IQ, big game player. Beat his man, provided elite help defense and elite transition play. He was the prototype modern defender before many had figured out what that even looked like.

A champion not just of the club but the game. The kind of player that helps earmark their position for their time.

Cannot say enough good things about Gibbo, sad to see he is not having a farewell game but his time is up and he is walking away with dignity intact. Undersized and much maligned, before the arrival of Lake he was our key defender and under a lot of pressure every game. I recall a final against Sydney in 2011 at the MCG, we were in front but Sydney were charging in the 2nd half and it was only the fist of Gibbo saved us that day. His press conference was awesome, wears his heart on his sleeve and his passion for what he does is obvious, at the Junior Rioli clinics I have heard he is king of the kids. Thanks Gibbo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B&F twice in Premiership years. Best finals player another season.

Played on and beat the best KPF while undersized....still providing a chop out for his other backmen and winning the ball and providing great rebound. Too often considered a loose man/3rd up when in actuality his great skill was beating his opponent but also knowing when to be there for his team mates.

From 2010-2015 in top 3 AFL backmen with Harry Taylor and Alex Rance IMO. Under rated by AA selectors and opposition supporters and sadly by a reasonable number of his own supporters.

Dead set gun.
Couldn't have said it better.

I'm not sure if this has been posted but... wtf

20840833_345617649209694_2536217215096206482_n.jpg

Just saw a reprise of 'gibbo's gauntlet' on the website it would be awesome during the last game if they let him loose with the mike on the big screen at half time

Loved this from Clarko "...he came to our club with groin troubles and he leaves our club with groin troubles (Snickers)... he's always had trouble with his groins..."

View attachment 404342

Are they the Groin sisters?

No need to worry about Gibbo. He's doing OK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back