Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Josh Bennetts. catB rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game he was the one that stood out in the first half. Was lively. But based on Zanes comments not delivering a balanced output for his role..

Zane's gone fire and brimstone this week. Must have been livid with the performance. It was poor.

Box Hill shone under lights, taking home a 39-point win against Frankston to cap off a fine home-and-away season on Friday night.

Josh Bennetts (1 goal, 15 disposals, 4 tackles)

"Again, as I say every week, Josh is very reliable. Four tackles this week is also a really important aspect of his game. He works his backside off. He is a great team player and brings others into the game. He kicked a really nice left-foot goal in the third into the breeze to help settle that quarter down for us and get us into three quarter time with a significant lead."

This is the one I'm hoping makes it.

He is what we need
He's been surprisingly good playing as a HHF in his first year. He's been pretty consistent with disposals and marks and has really provided a link between Def/Fwd. I hope we can get him a game next year if he continues to build like he has this season.

Josh Bennetts has put his name on the map after his performance in the second half against Gold Coast yesterday. I thought he was Box Hill's most impressive player on the ground when the game was on the line. His goals at the end of the third quarter and at the start of the fourth gave Box Hill their greatest hope all day. His third goal came too late to save the day, but Bennetts can certainly hold his head high knowing Box Hill lost through no fault of his own. He has impressed at Box Hill in glimpses, but he put it together yesterday for the first time. Sam Mitchell was in attendance yesterday, and I'm sure he would have been impressed. He's far from the finished product, but he is heading in the right direction. He may not get elevated to the senior list just yet, but he certainly hasn’t done his chances any harm after yesterday.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been a real pleasant surprise. IMO he stepped up to VFL level and played at a higher standard than he did at TAC level. Who knows how far he can go in the end, but I expect he will earn a debut next season.
Yep, have watched him all year and he's been more impactful than what I expected. He has a burst of speed, but very rarely uses it - it'd be great to see him incorporate it into his game more next year.

With a good preseason should get afl chances - particurly with no chad and brockman - wouldn’t be surprised if he’s upgraded to senior list. Needs some strength and a bit more pace but has clean hands and natural goal sense.
For a lot of us , we’ve been looking at Wingard’s injury as a list position free for an SSP or MSD pick.

I reckon nearly just as likely we keep the replacement spot free for Bennett’s to come in and play off the cat B list.

He’s had a good start to vfl season. Busts his gut every week and is improving. Just needs to finish a bit better.

With Breust out of form and Watson possibly injured will he get a chance?

Can he play or does he need to be upgraded?
Pretty confident that JB needs to be upgraded and baring a long term injury or retirement of a currently listed player is unlikely to get a call up in 2024. Best chance is to have a strong year in the VFL, and hope a spot opens up. I’ve seen him a bit over the last 18 months and think he’s got what it takes to get there…hard worker, keen to learn. Putting together very consistent performances for Box Hill. Most importantly rarely fumbles and makes great decisions with the ball in hand. If he can get the possession count consistently in the mid 20’s, lift his goal average and maintain the pressure acts he’ll be hard to overlook. When his chance comes, and I’m sure it will, I think he’ll take it a never look back.

Pretty confident that JB needs to be upgraded and baring a long term injury or retirement of a currently listed player is unlikely to get a call up in 2024. Best chance is to have a strong year in the VFL, and hope a spot opens up. I’ve seen him a bit over the last 18 months and think he’s got what it takes to get there…hard worker, keen to learn. Putting together very consistent performances for Box Hill. Most importantly rarely fumbles and makes great decisions with the ball in hand. If he can get the possession count consistently in the mid 20’s, lift his goal average and maintain the pressure acts he’ll be hard to overlook. When his chance comes, and I’m sure it will, I think he’ll take it a never look back.
He is a hard worker both ways and bodies the ball. No frills or finger twirling. We need him to keep developing so that pressure is placed on the higher draftees.

I think he is building nicely. I hope the young man makes it and is given his opportunity when deserved.

I’m pretty bullish on this guy. Sometimes the best ability is availability, and he hasn’t missed a game at vfl level since he joined the club. Career high possession numbers at VFL level on the weekend and if he can keep having around 20 a game most weeks he is bound to see more reward in other areas.

I’m pretty bullish on this guy. Sometimes the best ability is availability, and he hasn’t missed a game at vfl level since he joined the club. Career high possession numbers at VFL level on the weekend and if he can keep having around 20 a game most weeks he is bound to see more reward in other areas.
I reckon he is close to finishing his apprenticeship, I really like how he lifted in the finals game. Just that continuous improvement you don’t see in everyone

VFL

Round 1 - 17 disposals - 8 marks - 3 tackles - 4 inside 50s - 3 behinds
Round 2 - 19 disposals - 2 marks - 2 tackles - 4 inside 50s - 1 goal - 1 behind

I think Bennetts will definitely play some games during the second half of the year.

VFL

I think Bennetts will definitely play some games during the second half of the year.
What position/role is he playing at BHH?

VFL

What position/role is he playing at BHH?
We need to upgrade him first

Remove this Banner Ad

Back