Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

No he wont.

This isn't the Cameron situation.

The deal is $1m P.A for the next 8 years...….. GWS want that noose removed from their neck.

We are also far more likely to have an early pick in the PSD draft compared to Geelong this year with 16 other clubs ahead of them.

I think this is far more similar to the Treloar/Crouch situation than the Cameron one.

GWS probably have about 4-5 of the worst 10 contracts in the AFL on their books at the minute.

Depending how low GWS finish, Band 1 compo might be sufficient if they finish next season worse than this season. Especially in a stronger draft.

More than likely.

But I very very VERY much doubt GWS wants Kelly for 8yrs @ $1m per season.

2028 is a long way away.
Kelly is a fantastic player and the perfect embodiment of the type of person we want to be at our club for his entire career (Cameron was the same). I would have no qualms about handing him a six/eight year deal at that price.

I’m saying no one knows for sure.
Lots of talk. Have no doubt it’s long term but I can’t see another 8 years starting from ‘22.

Yeah, sorry. That's rubbish.

We could also say nobody knows for sure he's a RFA this year either. So just delete the thread....

I think the journo's probably have some idea of the tenure of the contract.

Kelly is a fantastic player and the perfect embodiment of the type of person we want to be at our club for his entire career (Cameron was the same). I would have no qualms about handing him a six/eight year deal at that price.

Well, you don't have to hand him the 8 year deal, he already has it if he wants it.

If he rejects that 8 year deal, he obviously doesn't want to stay at GWS.

You might have it, but do you want the 8 years @ $1m?

I think he will play well into his 30's. He is worth $1mil pa for the next 5-6 years. He is a superstar player about to hit his prime, better than Danger at the same age. But as usual these journo figures are normally maximum earnings. I have no doubt that B&F finishes, AA spots, games played, team success will all be factors for the overall pay structure as they are with Greene, Coniglio, and others.

Well, you don't have to hand him the 8 year deal, he already has it if he wants it.

If he rejects that 8 year deal, he obviously doesn't want to stay at GWS.
Not sure why you are being so hostile. You were indicating it was in the Giants best interests to move Kelly on- I was politely disagreeing with you. I think having Kelly commit to our club for life would be an outstanding result for us.

He's probably got a deal similar to Williams got at Carlton for the 8yrs. Anyways if he left it'll be for a team in finals contention most likely so North's chances are very slim.
I'd say it depends on where Carlton end up next year, what the other finals teams are able to do to free up their cap. Top teams will probably be Dogs & Tigers.

He's probably got a deal similar to Williams got at Carlton for the 8yrs. Anyways if he left it'll be for a team in finals contention most likely so Norf's chances are very slim.
I'd say it depends on where Carlton end up next year, what the other finals teams are able to do to free up their cap. Top teams will probably be Dogs & Tigers.
Dogs lmao no way would he go there ... it will be the big clubs or north that’s it.

If GWS sign kelly on 1mil end of 2021 then they are basically agreeing to give away their next couple of years draft players for minimal picks when they want more cash on 2nd contract and the club can't afford it. He's not worth it for the future of the club.

Last edited:
If GWS sign kelly on 1mil end of 2021 then they are basically agreeing to give away their next couple of years draft picks for minimal picks when they want more cash and the club can't afford it. He's not worth it for the future of the club.
What's your suggestion? Flog him off to Carlton for a swap of third rounders?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GWS sign kelly on 1mil end of 2021 then they are basically agreeing to give away their next couple of years draft players for minimal picks when they want more cash on 2nd contract and the club can't afford it. He's not worth it for the future of the club.

He's on $800k now. If the proposed pay cuts are enforced it's bugger all pay rise. I think we're good for the money, the 8 years is the part that needs negotiating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back