Recommitted Josh Kelly [will be a GIANT for life, has signed 8 year extension]

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor analysis. Idun, Buckley, Cumming, Daniels, Hill, Flynn, Briggs, etc all on the rise. We have been the youngest team this year.
Ok but I'm pretty sure I specified "outstanding players", the list of players you mentioned might be improving, but surely even a GWS supporter can acknowledge that none of them fall under the category I mentioned lol.

The point is there's just such a stark difference between GWS' talent in the midfield and their talent literally anywhere else (defense, forward, ruck). And while their team may look good on paper, it's a 22 player game and teams have demonstrated that you need a well-rounded line up to win premierships regardless of how strong you may be in 1 particular area.

uh, yeah he is guaranteed it. its written in his contract that he can choose to extend his contract by 8 years at whatever the number is. if he chooses to take it up, theres nothing gws can do but either pay it or try to convince him to move via trade.

im afraid that’s not how contract works, stuff like this is not clausible, this is a figure of speech to show gws intention of keeping Kelly. There has been no offer of contract in writing in front of Kelly to sign.

im afraid that’s not how contract works, stuff like this is not clausible, this is a figure of speech to show gws intention of keeping Kelly.

Agreed

There has been no offer of contract in writing in front of Kelly to sign.

Disagree. There is now definitely a contract offer on the table from the club.

If North brings in Kelly, that's an incredible midfield.

Cunnington, Kelly, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas is one of the most balance midfields in the comp, rate that top 3 (only behind WBD and Freo) in the AFL.

Larkey one of the most promising KPFs in the game, that genuine #1 contested marking target type as well. Expecting North to overtake GWS next year if Kelly makes the move.

Cunnington, Kelly, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas is one of the most balance midfields in the comp, rate that top 3 (only behind WBD and Freo) in the AFL.

Larkey one of the most promising KPFs in the game, that genuine #1 contested marking target type as well. Expecting North to overtake GWS next year if Kelly makes the move.

Freo?

Fyfe - Mundy - Brayshaw - Cerra - Serong is a perfect balance of grunt, skill and versatility.

Ranked 4th in clearance differential (for the same number of contests, Freo has the 4th highest probability of winning a clearance), and on top of that they're high quality clearances via Mundy, Brayshaw and Cerra.

On top of that you gotta consider that their best midfielder plays forward for large parts of their game too.

Fyfe - Mundy - Brayshaw - Cerra - Serong is a perfect balance of grunt, skill and versatility.

Ranked 4th in clearance differential (for the same number of contests, Freo has the 4th highest probability of winning a clearance), and on top of that they're high quality clearances via Mundy, Brayshaw and Cerra.

On top of that you gotta consider that their best midfielder plays forward for large parts of their game too.

Cerra going to richmond, mundy retiring end of next year, fyfe wrong side of 30 due to his strength and explosiveness based game style.

Melbourne should be 2nd with olivier and petracca...

Why hasn't he taken up the option yet? Surely he can't hate Sydney that much. No club should or would offer him close to what he's guaranteed by gws, and surely he isn't going to give up that much money to go play at a bottom club.

His partner just got out of quarantine after what 6 weeks apart and he has wanted to talk to his family about it but Dan Andrews is obviously rooting for North.

His partner just got out of quarantine after what 6 weeks apart and he has wanted to talk to his family about it but Dan Andrews is obviously rooting for North.

He's put on the North face.

lol

Well, yes we do look good on paper. But somehow that doesn't generate enough wins...

I think it’s a bit of both. he puts pen to paper, they’d honour it, but they’d be stupid not to do a bit of renegotiating.

Toby signed a six year deal to the end of 2024 but re-signed this year to the end of 2026. you could call that a 2 year extension signed 3 years early, or do what the club did and say it was a new 5 year deal. from most reports the deal was not worth as much as what it was going to be because Toby & the club took into account the new circumstances - essentially, renegotiating to take less.

I‘ve said before that the $1mil 8 year pre-covid trigger could be renegotiated into a 6/7 year $850/900k post covid deal - it‘s still a very handsome deal with longevity and a s#*t ton of money but also recognises that the caps aren’t going to grow as much or as quickly as it was once thought.

who knows.

Josh is notorious for delaying decisions - I’ve heard the car story from a number of players (including Josh himself admitting it)

we’ll know when we know, and those north supporters saying they have the inside info from very good sources actually know about as much as I do.

what’s the car story?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what’s the car story?

Somebody retold it earlier in this thread - but the short version is that a few years ago Josh went looking for a new car. He liked one in particular, ”that’s the one” he thought but ummmed and aaaahed for about six months looking at other options before finally buying the one he decided on and liked from day one.

so it took him 6 months to buy the car he was always going to buy.

Ok but I'm pretty sure I specified "outstanding players", the list of players you mentioned might be improving, but surely even a GWS supporter can acknowledge that none of them fall under the category I mentioned lol.

The point is there's just such a stark difference between GWS' talent in the midfield and their talent literally anywhere else (defense, forward, ruck). And while their team may look good on paper, it's a 22 player game and teams have demonstrated that you need a well-rounded line up to win premierships regardless of how strong you may be in 1 particular area.

I highly agree, but also to add to this, gws team on paper got all areas covered but the said 'superstar' players are players as a bunch of really good players........and not as a fantastic team. The amount of high end talent on that list could fill 3 premiership teams over but alas it came way short of a premiership. Compare this to richmond, you can see the difference.

I highly agree, but also to add to this, gws team on paper got all areas covered but the said 'superstar' players are players as a bunch of really good players........and not as a fantastic team. The amount of high end talent on that list could fill 3 premiership teams over but alas it came way short of a premiership. Compare this to richmond, you can see the difference.
Yes and no. Our talent is overrated. The backline we have built is incredibly underrated.

Somebody retold it earlier in this thread - but the short version is that a few years ago Josh went looking for a new car. He liked one in particular, ”that’s the one” he thought but ummmed and aaaahed for about six months looking at other options before finally buying the one he decided on and liked from day one.

so it took him 6 months to buy the car he was always going to buy.
Cool story.

A decision won't be made (publicly) under after The Giants season is over, unless he is saying he is staying. If no announcement of him is done before then, defintley gone.

Think the lure of playing of playing for the club he has such strong family ties for will be too strong for him to resist.
Super strong ties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back