Past Josh P. Kennedy - King Kennedy, the contested possession king

Remove this Banner Ad

20GWSSy19MKP204973244.jpg

Josh P Kennedy

Josh Kennedy led the Sydney Swans to back-to-back finals campaigns as the club’s sole skipper in 2017 and 2018, and has since led the team as a co-captain alongside Luke Parker and Dane Rampe. The top-class midfielder has compiled a glowing list of individual achievements since leaving Hawthorn for Sydney ahead of season 2010, collecting a 2012 premiership medal, three All Australian blazers and three Club Champion awards. Kennedy is instrumental to the Swans’ host of young midfielders learning their craft at the top level, including Oliver Florent, James Bell, James Rowbottom and Dylan Stephens. Draft history: 2006 AFL Draft 3rd round father-son selection (Hawthorn) No. 40 overall; 2009 AFL Draft traded by Hawthorn for No. 39 (Sam Grimley). Previous AFL club: (Hawthorn 2008-09: 13 games, 1 goal).

Josh Kennedy
DOB: 20 June 1988
DEBUT: 2008
DRAFT: #40, 2006 Father Son
RECRUITED FROM: East Sandr (Vic)/Xavier Coll (Vic)/Sandr U18/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:
Thing with JPK is that it's not just one game, he's been pretty ordinary all season. Just hope it's a slump. Especially given he's been really consistently good over the last six seasons.

Can we please get past the idea that Horse is the sole decision maker on list management? He gets a say sure but he is not the sole decision maker and maybe not even final decision maker in that area.

Decisions on and priority for other players meant we couldn’t offer Mitchell what he wanted. That’s pretty much the end of it...

Didn't you know everything is on Horse.

He does look way off pace but he did this time last year as well.

Different levels though as his first 6 games in 2017 resulted in (disposals)

Round 1 - 28
Round 2 - 24
Round 3 - 32
Round 4 - 33
Round 5 - 22
Round 6 - 27

So not good by Kennedy's standards but acceptable.

This year though

Round 1 - 24
Round 2 - 33
Round 3 - 25
Round 4 - 15
Round 5 - 13

In comparison that means in 2017 in the first 6 games Kennedy averaged 26.6 disposals per game. In 2018 in the first 5 rounds he averages 22 disposals.

And teddy your great mate horse packed the bags of the man who was there to help take pressure off JPK

I am not sure the club deserve your blind trust in the list management

I'll say this much.
We needed to pay him more to stay than for him to go home to Hawthorn.
He loves his new coach because he can be the number one man.
None of that is the fault of anyone at the Swans. He could have stayed & been well rewarded financially if he was a Swan for life.
That's not what he wanted. Some people in life cash in on opportunities & others don't.

By the way, Audi make very nice cars, the whole family can drive. ;)

Round 1 - 28
Round 2 - 24
Round 3 - 32
Round 4 - 33
Round 5 - 22
Round 6 - 27

This year though

Round 1 - 24
Round 2 - 33
Round 3 - 25
Round 4 - 15
Round 5 - 13

In comparison that means in 2017 in the first 6 games Kennedy averaged 26.6 disposals per game. In 2018 in the first 5 rounds he averages 22 disposals.

You do know that players can drop off allowing others to share the load.
Maybe it's true.
Maybe the end has come right now. If so, did you see the end coming for Josh? Did we see it for ROK?
It's a very delicate thing to juggle for coaches as these guys have carried us to triumph.

Decisions on and priority for other players meant we couldn’t offer Mitchell what he wanted. That’s pretty much the end of it...
I read the other day the Pick we got from the Hawks for Tommy was traded into getting us Florent and Hayward
If that's the case, it's a win for us, and for Hawthorn

JPK is my favourite non Crows player. Rare form slump but he does appear laboured when he's running. So I'm putting it down to injury. Sure he will bounce back.

I think you are right so they play him because he still takes a mighty opposition player to watch him.
Problem was that his team mates need to pick up the slack in this situation & they can't

JK should have knocked back the third party cashie from SWISSE multi-vitamins.Guaranteed form slump ensues ,just refer to Oz cricket team or any Oz swim team at an Olympics.

Last edited:
I actually hope Kennedy is carrying an injury as it is the best option from a bad list of options. If he is carrying an injury it would be nice if Longmire rested him so he could be fully fit later on in the year.

There will be a post JPK sydney.

Good opportunity to see who can take the mantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be naive of me but they deserve some leniency here. We're talking two guys who have won more games for us off their backs than Buddy (yep I said it.) Our years of dominating play and having games constantly in our forward 50 are because of Kennedy and Hannebery. I say... they can be as s**t as they like and they won't get a critique from me. But that doesn't mean they should be playing.

We're 5 games into the season.

Agreed, the clamour about the team's s**t form is fair imo given its a continuation of losing in the same way that we have been over the last year or two. But Kennedy deserves a little more faith I think. 8 consecutive dominant seasons and he just turns into this player we're seeing over the course of one preseason? I don't buy it. He must be carrying something.

Agreed, the clamour about the team's s**t form is fair imo given its a continuation of losing in the same way that we have been over the last year or two. But Kennedy deserves a little more faith I think. 8 consecutive dominant seasons and he just turns into this player we're seeing over the course of one preseason? I don't buy it. He must be carrying something.

Exactly. It's not unimaginable that he'd be slowing down at this age, just can't see a decline this sudden and drastic being solely the work of father time.

Thing with JPK is that it's not just one game, he's been pretty ordinary all season. Just hope it's a slump. Especially given he's been really consistently good over the last six seasons.
You should check out his first three games for the season if you think he's been poor all year....

You should check out his first three games for the season if you think he's been poor all year....

*en sad sacks on here. 2 ordinary games to put the fork in to an absolute champion of the club. Would have to be close to the only two genuinely bad games he’s played in his career.

Geeeeeeettttt fuuuuuckkkkkeeeeedddd

Last edited:

Round 1 - 28
Round 2 - 24
Round 3 - 32
Round 4 - 33
Round 5 - 22
Round 6 - 27

This year though

Round 1 - 24
Round 2 - 33
Round 3 - 25
Round 4 - 15
Round 5 - 13

Jeez, that downward trend from round 2 is alarming to say the least.

FFS, even Ollie Florent has gotten more of the ball the last 2 weeks playing on a wing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back