lets be honest

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind BT.

Basil and Hamish though...

tenor.gif

OP cheated!

I had to enter the thread to find out what I need to be honest about. Turns out it's not about my sexual preference, addictions or my recent string of aggravated assaults. It's just bloody BT!
Sorry I thought you could hover your mouse over it and it'll show what the threads about

Prefer him much more on radio. He actually has to tell you what is happening when listening on radio, not just reacting to what can be seen.

I think BT's value depends a lot on the context in which he is commentating and the people he is commentating with.

If you want some fun and you have someone taking care of the serious stuff, then he's your man. But if he's the main anchor and the game actually matters, then he can be a massive pain in the @ss.

Yep, I'm starting to think that BT is actually ok when he shares the main commentary duties with someone who knows what they're doing (people like Hudson and McCavaney) and decent colour commentators, who don't mind having a laugh occasionally, but play the straight man, by and large. When he's matched with guys like Ling, Richardson and Darcy who either have no discernible personality, or are apparently there with a mandate to get stuck into each other over pointless arguments, he's terrible. He's one of those commentators that is the equivalent of that dickhead mate at the pub giving you an elbow every time the other team kicks a goal, when your team is heavily favoured and is playing like crap.

But if he is basically only commentating half the game, he doesn't have the opportunity to wear you down. He should be deployed like a second ruckman, pre-sub rule era.

Personally I thought his interviews post match were the worst I've ever seen, added absolutely nothing to the broadcast. In fact I'd go as far as to say it come across tacky and unprofessional.

Agreed unprofessional, but funny regardless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Often find him over the top but ok.
Do still love his commentary of Boyd's huge GF goal where he is so genuinely excited he repeats himself then drops the F bomb.

To each their own, I just found it cringe worthy rather than funny. I don't hate BT as such, he is what he is - has some good moments, has some shockers.

I didn't agree with what he was doing either, It's the fact that he's that much of an idiot which made it funny. But yes, you summed him up well.

Black and White - the Taylor diaries is still the best footy book I've read. He is a bit too much for me on the telly but I love that book it is a pisser.

I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone here with all the BT fans in this thread. BT is terrible and I hate that I now have to listen to him on Friday night footy. He spends more time discussing unrelated stuff that it makes me want to yell at my TV for him to STFU and just call the bloody game!

His obsession with "The Package" is disturbing and goes beyond Bruce's love for Cyril, which is really saying something.

The only commentators worse than him are Rompingwins and Basil, who are so terrible that they can even make BT look good.

Used to think he was great on MMM.

He moved to TV and was pretty average, mainly because his mistakes were more obvious with vision and he tended to come off as a bully towards Richo and Ling.

Now I like him again. How could you not love his call of Boyd's goal last September. It is a fine line between useless bully and lovable idiot and everyone is going to have an opinion either side of that line.

Although to be fair it is a pretty small pond... Basil, Ling, Carey, Bruce. They're all ******* terrible. The way they all treat 'Duck' like some sort of deity makes me shudder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back