Opinion Likely Best 22 2018 (revisited)

Remove this Banner Ad

That's why Dunn and goldy run back when it's to late, shade is playing.
Poor old that's gold

Not even in the shade can he pick them

But the Penguins are ours

Without any recruits yet known, and a little wishful thinking with players going up levels in grading.
All more older players left out except Pendlebury, Reid and Wells (never not play him) (so no Dunn, Goldsack, Varcoe)

Collingwood Futures Market

B. Scharenberg McLarty Langdon
HB. Howe Reid Maynard
C. Sidebottom Pendlebury (c) Adams
HF. Hoskin-Elliot Moore Daicos
F. Elliott Cox Kirby
R. Grundy Treloar De Goey
I. Wells Phillips Sier Wills

Sinclair Dunn Langdon
Howe McLarty Maynard
DeGoey Pendles Crisp
Hoskin-Elliot Moore Sidebottom
Elliott Patton D. Smith

Grundy Treloar Adams

Wells Hopper Goldsack Wills

Time to be bold & changes are needed, so Shaz, Reid, Fasolo, Broomhead and Aish traded… and in comes Patton, Devon Smith & Hopper.

Cox retained as a strong back-up to Grundy / FF, Phillips as backup, along with Thomas, Ramsay & Schade. Daicos, Kirby, Brown and Sier to continue developing in the 2’s until required to fill a role.

Forward line is quicker and stronger, with the heat taken off Moore. Rotating mids are tough, with the class of Wells for one more season, whilst Goldsack is given one more year to provide some relief to the backs.

Relying on Sinclair or Ramsay to be fit and firing for round 1, with another year under the belt for Ramsay after knee reco to help him get back to his best.

If we can’t land a Patton or Lynch, we need to go to the draft and land Brander or Balta, but I’m convinced that Brander will be gone by pick 6. Not sure Balta can play forward, so this still leaves a hole at FF that Cox or an ageing Reid would need to fill.

We need to be BOLD.

Sign Jackson Trengrove via Free Agency
Pick 6 + Sidebottom + Smith + 37 for Tom Lynch and Brayden Fiorini
Pick in 50's for Hayden Balic
Cox + 2018 2nd for Brisbanes pick 14 or 18 that pick on traded to GWS for Jacob Hopper

best 18 of:

B: Maynard ~ Dunn ~ Scharenburg
HB: Howe ~ Trengrove ~ Pendlebury
C: Wells ~ Hopper ~ Treloar
R: Grundy ~ Adams ~ De Goey
HF: Elliott ~ Moore ~ WHE
F: Kirby ~ Lynch ~ Fasolo

B: Howe - Dunn - Langdon
HB: Maynard - Moore - Goldsack
C: Treloar - Adams - Phillips
HF: WHE - Reid - Sidebottom
F: Mayne - Cox - Elliott
R: Grundy - Pendlebury - De Goey

I/C from Fasolo - Greenwood - Varcoe - Wills

Go to the draft with picks 6,38,56,61,70

Pick 6 best available KPF.
Pick 38 to acquire a player to give us pace & drive off the half backline. (Shaw / Johanissen types) 56-70 into the lucky dip.

Last edited:
As it currently stands

B: Maynard - Dunn - Langdon
HB: Sinclair - Goldsack - Howe
C: Wells - De Goey - Treloar
HF: J Thomas - Moore - Fasolo
F: Sidebottom - Cox - Kirby
R: Grundy - Adams - Pendlebury
Int: Reid - Elliott - Hoskin Elliott - Scharenberg

I've got to admit that I was very, very hard pressed to close out the 22, Scharenberg sneaks in from options like Phillips, Daicos, Broomhead, Varcoe, Ramsay and Aish but I'm not at all enthusiastic really about any of theee guys - although they can all do a role.

Elliott is our best small forward but I'd be inclined to have him on the bench and as I believe he is our first choice forward as a midfield rotation and like the flexibility to infuse him into the game when required. Alternately if I wanted to start him as a genuine forward marking target I'd swap him with Sidey, who is most valuable to us (in my view) primarily as a crumbling forward but secondarily as a hard running linkman playing half forward. If Kirby is performing as a crumbed it immediately negates the need for Sidey there and as such und switch him and Elliott in the starting 18.

I don't like Goldsack as a CHB at all but it underlines that we need to target key position backmen as a priority - including perhaps chasing a mature one as an upgrade on Schade who should be delisted. Until that list deficiency is addressed though Goldy stays at CHB in preference to Reid - who I'd personally play as a tall forward / swingman but who I prefer behind the resting ruck out of Cox and Grundy.

Deadwood needs to be cut. Undecided on Greenwood, Keeffe and Varcoe but Blair and Mayne simply must be told that their services aren't required. I know Crocker was resigned but I don't like his retention, and Schade needs to go as well.

Edit: unintentionally missed Crisp when I shuffled the backline - to me he becomes 23rd on the list and a line ball alternative to Scharenberg and Langdon.

Current list and injury free (touch wood)

B - Langdon Dunn Sinclair
HB - Varcoe Goldsack Howe
C - Wells Pendlebury Treloar
HF - Elliott Moore WHE
F - Fasolo Reid Sidebottom
R - Grundy Adams DeGoey
INT - Crisp Maynard Greenwood Scharenberg

Midfield I really like the idea of having Adams and DeGoey starting in the middle with Pendles. Depending on opponent we could use Greenwood in a tagging role as well.
Outside pace on the wings with Wells and Treloar.

Sinclair and Varcoe add pace and dash off the half back line. I think we missed Sinclair quite a bit this year.

Would have Howe as a bit of a swing man (I know he has had a great year down back but would love to see him up forward at times with that marking ability).

Sidebottom as a forward who pinch hits in the midfield as well giving DeGoey a rest in the 50.
Steele is a clever footballer, he gets in the right positions and if he was played mainly as a forward I would be really confident he would kick 35-40 goals for the season.

I reckon Hoskin-Elliott will be in for a ripper year next year. Was very impressed with him this year. He uses the ball very cleanly, has pace and kicks goals.
Good at being in the right spots at the right time and can play forward, wing and even off half back.

Would have Kirby on there in a pocket hopefully. Just depends on building his tank over the pre-season.
Exactly the kind of player we have been searching for as a deep forward pocket.

Quite a few names missing and hard to fit everyone in. Would love to see Daicos, Brown, Aish, Thomas, Broomhead etc be pushing hard for their case as well but this above 22 would be what I would love to see out there at any given time and against the best opposition possible.
Didn't read your post before I posted mine but despite a few different selections I think we view our best 22 very similarly - particularly in terms of midfield structure and where Sidebottom fits.

B: Langdon - Dunn - Scharenberg
HB: Mullett - Howe - Maynard
C: Hoskin-E - Adams - Wells
HF: Fasolo - Moore - De Goey
F: Elliott - Schache - Sidebottom

R: Grundy - Pendlebury - Treloar

INT: Crisp - Phillips - Reid - Cox

upload_2017-10-2_12-1-15.png
I have Ben Reid starting forward but he will play were needed some games forward some games back, depending on match ups

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-2_11-58-25.png
    upload_2017-10-2_11-58-25.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These things are fun excercises.

If using a little projection and something way out there (Sier) id look at something like this.
Note: not taking into account any traded in players but guessing say we get Balta.

Collingwood

B. Scharenberg ~ McLarty ~ Langdon

HB. Howe ~ Reid ~ Maynard

C. Sidebottom ~ Pendlebury (c) ~ Adams

HF. Wells ~ Moore ~ Hoskin-Elliot

F. Elliott ~ Cox ~ Fasolo

R. Grundy ~ Treloar ~ De Goey

I. Balta ~ Sier ~ Kirby ~ Daicos

C. Buckley

E. Dunn, Goldsack, Crisp

I will be ropeable if the rumours are true and we are prepared to pony up 2 firsts for lever!

He is 100% not worth 2 first rounders.
Everyone keeps saying he's not a key position but all the teams are going smaller and he may end up the prototype for the new key position.

Everyone keeps saying he's not a key position but all the teams are going smaller and he may end up the prototype for the new key position.
Oh so like Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe.

Oh so like Langdon, Scharenberg and Howe.
He makes 2 of those look slow, and even Howe doesn't get to the ball to spoil like this guy, 21 and he's already the best in the business at it, wonder how he'll go when he matures in a few years.

He makes 2 of those look slow, and even Howe doesn't get to the ball to spoil like this guy, 21 and he's already the best in the business at it, wonder how he'll go when he matures in a few years.
Your overrating Lever's speed if you think that's the case.

Your overrating Lever's speed if you think that's the case.
I didn't say Lever was quick, I said he was quicker than Langdon and Schaz, and he is. Oh and leading the league for intercepts at the age of 21, don't think the other two are doing that either.

I didn't say Lever was quick, I said he was quicker than Langdon and Schaz, and he is. Oh and leading the league for intercepts at the age of 21, don't think the other two are doing that either.
I know what you said and my pint still stands, I dissagree he's quicker than those two. If he is it's negligible. Lever gets more intercepts because he doesn't have to share getting them with two other players.

I know what you said and my pint still stands, I dissagree he's quicker than those two. If he is it's negligible. Lever gets more intercepts because he doesn't have to share getting them with two other players.
I'd love a pint too but if you are making a case for Lever being ordinary or the same level as Langdon and Schaz I'm gonna need more than just the one.

I'd love a pint too but if you are making a case for Lever being ordinary or the same level as Langdon and Schaz I'm gonna need more than just the one.
Either way you don't cough up two first rounders to upgrade a position you already have well covered and I also like how you conveniently leave Howe out of the discussion...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back