Prediction Likely trades from your team this off season

Remove this Banner Ad

Francis (Crows)
Raz (Crows or Port)
Zaka (will play VFL otherwise next year happy to pay some of his $)

Delisted: Laverde, Begley, Mutch, Gleeson,

On the Fence: Smacks, Stewart

Retire: TBC

Free Agent match/trade: Joe (any sort of 1st rounder)

Would love to hear how Bomber fans view Francis. Every time I watch him play he honestly to me leaves a lot to be desired in terms of defending and kicking.

He can take a mark though, unfortunately I’ve seen him in a few contests where he goes third man up and drops the mark or doesn’t kill the ball and goes behind for a goal.

One thing Essendon have been great at is drafting key backs, Hooker & Hurley are still A grade defenders but Ridley looks a future star and Zerk-Thatchers looks a good player too.

Never felt once Parish or Francis have lived up to their draft potential. But Francis has a lot of talent just seems to lack the footy smarts at this stage of his career.

Sadly I think McLean will request a trade. And whoever picks him up to play midfield will be very happy. Can see a Hawthorn/Carlton/Suns being keen.

I can see Trengove being delisted and someone else picking him up. Still think his best position is CHB.

I think that’ll be it for us.

Cost won't be that high. I'd look at the Dan Butler trade as a guide. Both Premiership players in and out of their respective teams. Fringe 22 players rarely command high 2nd round picks in a trade.
Richmond didn't really have a choice though as he was out of contract.

McLean has 2 years to run on a contract and the Dogs have no reason to trade him for a pick in the 50's.

I think a 2nd rounder of some sort would be right. Probably on the later side

Richmond didn't really have a choice though as he was out of contract.

McLean has 2 years to run on a contract and the Dogs have no reason to trade him for a pick in the 50's.

I think a 2nd rounder of some sort would be right. Probably on the later side

I can't see too many teams parting with second rounder for him, contracted or not. Form just hasn't warranted it. He's a small mid who doesn't regularly hit the scoreboard (or at least hasn't for a few seasons now). Pick in the 40's at best.

I can't see too many teams parting with second rounder for him, contracted or not. Form just hasn't warranted it. He's a small mid who doesn't regularly hit the scoreboard (or at least hasn't for a few seasons now). Pick in the 40's at best.
If that is the case then Dogs keep him.

I'd bet there'd be clubs willing to offload a 2nd though.

What's happened to him since 2018?

What's happened to him since 2018?

Honestly just think Dogs have too many of the same type of player - mid/fwds.

Bontempelli, Dunkley, Smith, Lipinski, even Mitch Wallis.

All these guys (and McLean) should be playing midfield but you can't fit them all in (with Macrae and Libba as well), meaning guys like Wallis are almost permanent forwards now.

Still reckon he is a decent player with the right role and wouldn't be disappointed if Hawthorn offered a late 2nd or 3rd round pick for him (we probably need to go for genuine youth though, even if McLean did only just turn 24).

Honestly just think Dogs have too many of the same type of player - mid/fwds.

Bontempelli, Dunkley, Smith, Lipinski, even Mitch Wallis.

All these guys (and McLean) should be playing midfield but you can't fit them all in (with Macrae and Libba as well), meaning guys like Wallis are almost permanent forwards now.

Still reckon he is a decent player with the right role and wouldn't be disappointed if Hawthorn offered a late 2nd or 3rd round pick for him (we probably need to go for genuine youth though, even if McLean did only just turn 24).
Well, Bontpempelli, Macrae and Dunkley are the main midfielders, with Smith rising fast. Surely there's still room for McLean as a Jamie Cripps-style wing/HF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, Bontpempelli, Macrae and Dunkley are the main midfielders, with Smith rising fast. Surely there's still room for McLean as a Jamie Cripps-style wing/HF?
That's the role he's playing, he's not a great wingman and "ok" as a HF, but not outstanding.

Is it different to how he was used in 2018?
2018 he played much more on ball. He's behind quite a few in the midfield queue now though.
There are a truckload of players at AFL level who are 'decent' mids but are stuck behind the very good mids, and therefore need to make another position their own.

Cripps has more forward nous than McLean. McLean reminds me a bit of Angus Brayshaw - a player who thrives in the midfield with a certain role but whose team has too many of the same type, reducing his opportunity and therefore his effectiveness.

In the dogs case, they load up their forward line with mids who don't fit in the midfield (and then rotate between the two lines). They have realised they need to play at least 2 tall targets (Naughton and Bruce, with JUH to come in place of Schace) and some genuine small forwards rather than a million midfielders who can play forward.

Edit: answered by Mofra, who would know way more about the Dogs than me

I can’t see Sam power trade Toby McLean for a pick In the 50s or 40s for that matter.

Yes Hawthorn are great, we all love Hawthorn, you have the best players and the best coach. How dare we forget.

There. You've got your daily validation. Take care

So Papley as a rookie pick is better than someone who has scored 30+ goals every year for 9 years?

Otherwise you chose a pretty dumb time to show how offended you are.

And keep paying for someone who isnt going to get many games?

Surely they free up money and look for players to fill gaps.
Yep. I doubt he's on big money and the Dogs don't have a tight cap so why the need for a salary dump?

I'm sure they'd be more than happy to trade him for a fair trade but they have no need to trade him for a pick in the 50's.

And keep paying for someone who isnt going to get many games?

Surely they free up money and look for players to fill gaps.
He's not even on that much money so what do we gain by letting him go 2 years early for peanuts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back