List Mgmt. List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

While Narkle may have been better, he's not a small forward either , Geelong tried it with him and it failed. We have Evans and Fantasia that can play the role , but both have limitations. We need to draft or find one.
Narkle is a midfielder only, may be a wing as well.
Yes, Evans has some limitations; dropped after kicking four goals and dropped again after kicking three goals.
And that doesn’t count his goal assists when he plays.

We can debate what a difference Evans may have been last night; why, oh why did they foolishly go in with the same old, so many injured players. As David King likes to say; do not get beaten by what you know.

Bullshit

Wasn’t that long ago they weren’t top 8 even with those players

Take any top 3 players out and a team is poor. But yes we were reliant on those players to be special but that’s not about those players, that’s been the trademark of every Hinkley side.

We make football so difficult that it requires massive freak efforts just to do the stuff other teams do as routine. It was the same in the days of gray and boak and wingard lol.

Lol. As a wingman his value is at best a high second rounder. It’s not like we would be losing out heaps if we back him in lol.

And the rub is that if you wanted to replace him with a depth wingman from somewhere in the league, even if you managed to find one that a team would let go they’re probably half as good as duursma and would still cost us a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Lol get out.

Mead has played more games than both Sam Hayes and Jake pasini combined, 2 players in positions we had openings in and the incumbents were injured and sucking balls.

Duursma had a horror run with injury, that reckless edwards tackle caused some ongoing issues.

As for sinn, that’s incorrect. He’s absolutely shown genuine afl quality. The issue is staying on the park. Not quality.

Rioli Spp todd finlayson Dixon and lord all contributed this year

Mcintee and Dbj were just failures

Fantasia doesn’t even deserve to get called a failure. That implies he tried.

Theyre the spots in the 22 we desperately need to upgrade soon.

Burton has been a stable quality player for years whose form dipped when we decided to move him around the shop.

Dbj is a failure really. I would trade him if I could, some other team would likely get something out of him but not Hinkley. Don’t see it happening though.

Wines is injured or fully cooked somehow. He’s either untradeable cause no teams trading for him when he’s body’s ****ed , or surgery / preaseason will help him recover in which case trading him for peanuts is a dumb move.

How about neither. Neither of them is a small forward, and both of them get found out eventually.

Yes all three are depth or, back end of 22 level players … but they’re in positions where that level of player getting picked for us will still be an improvement.

Every chance sweet is an upgrade on a fully cooked lycett.

Every chance zerk or rat are an upgrade on a fully cooked Jonas.

Yes none of them are stars.

Yea they likely are upgrades on the fully cooked players Hinkley has rolled out in those positions time and time again.

Will it make a massive difference when our coach is this bad? Probably not. It does solve 1 problem, the continuous selection of those cooked useless senior players ken kept picking…
You cannot always bring in a star player; if we get these three they are cheap and will make us a better team next year.
Look how the Pies chased Billy Frampton; it was purely as a depth player.

For off season list management I would go with something like:

OUT
Retired: Jonas, Boak (probably)
Delist: Teakle, McEntee, Fantasia (if we can’t trade him), Barkla
Trade/free agency: Wines, DBJ (what’s the point of him?), Duursma, Clurey, Lycett

IN
Trade: Zerk-Thatcher, Rautogolea, Sweet, Grainger-Barrass
Draft: small/medium forward x2, winger, fast small defender, rookie ruck
Free agency: see what’s available that might address the draft needs I mentioned

Not even going to try work out what our picks will look like if we get the trades that have been mentioned.
Farrell and Marshall are also great spuds . They are highly allergic to contest and not deserve to wear Port jumper .

While Narkle may have been better, he's not a small forward either , Geelong tried it with him and it failed. We have Evans and Fantasia that can play the role , but both have limitations. We need to draft or find one.
He hardly get proper run at geeglong . He always managed to kick few goals whenever he came as a sub . He seems to be bit crafty than ours other small forwards . Nonetheless got huge upside .

LOL, if we’re relying on Josh Sinn’s development this coming preseason, we’re going to be in for a lot of pain and disappointment. He is far from the answer in 2024 and far from a sure thing to play well at any level. The kid’s got much further to go to make it than anyone on our list bar Scully, Marshall and McCallum.

List management is vital in the next 2 years. Need to give the next coach in 2026 the best opportunity. Don’t trade/draft for next year, port should be drafting/trading for 2026
Yup...Mcrae, Kingsley are great examples of taking a team from no where to the next level by injecting fresh ideas but with no compromises.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s not going to happen, nobody is going to give a contract and then 3 months later pay out two years wages.
The real dumb thing was giving him an extra 2 years in the first place.
St Kilda did.

LOL, if we’re relying on Josh Sinn’s development this coming preseason, we’re going to be in for a lot of pain and disappointment. He is far from the answer in 2024 and far from a sure thing to play well at any level. The kid’s got much further to go to make it than anyone on our list bar Scully, Marshall and McCallum.

Yes I agree, from what I have seen Josh Sinn has potential but still has a long way to go. A season ending injury last year set his development back more than some of us realise. From the SANFL games I saw Hugh Jackson is much higher on the promotion scale than Josh Sinn.

In fact when I look at the SANFL I do not see anyone with a 'next big thing' label. The Port Magpies is a mixture of players in the best behind them or not ready yet catagories. A good preseason and some work may change that of course.

So for us to actually win a flag, we need first round picks in the draft for the next 3 seasons, unless we can get an under 25 really good player. And we need to recruit a free agent or two.

A lot hinges on Sweet, and Lord for me. If both are bust, we are going to struggle to win a flag. Unless some magical star wants to come to PAFC.

I’d be trading out Wines, to get back in this year to the draft, and going for small, forwards, high half forwards and wingers with speed and run.

So for us to actually win a flag, we need first round picks in the draft for the next 3 seasons, unless we can get an under 25 really good player. And we need to recruit a free agent or two.

A lot hinges on Sweet, and Lord for me. If both are bust, we are going to struggle to win a flag. Unless some magical star wants to come to PAFC.

I’d be trading out Wines, to get back in this year to the draft, and going for small, forwards, high half forwards and wingers with speed and run.

Ollie doesn't get us back into the draft in any meaningful way. It's a good idea for all concerned for him to move on though. Personally I'm thinking Ratugolea for Wines I'd do.

Ollie doesn't get us back into the draft in any meaningful way. It's a good idea for all concerned for him to move on though. Personally I'm thinking Ratugolea for Wines I'd do.

Yes he does, Wines is Brownlow Medallist with another 4-5 years left in him. There would be plenty of interest from clubs wanting to strengthen their midfield. Straight swap Ratugolea for Wines you have to be joking. Esava couldn't make Geelong's side near the end of the season.

Yes he does, Wines is Brownlow Medallist with another 4-5 years left in him. There would be plenty of interest from clubs wanting to strengthen their midfield. Straight swap Ratugolea for Wines you have to be joking. Esava couldn't make Geelong's side near the end of the season.
If youre a dud you dont normally go for a high pick. Tom Mitchell won the 2018 Brownlow then got traded to Collingwood for 41 and 50. and im not sure Wines is anywhere near as good as Mitchell. Thats why we should have traded him the year he won the Brownlow.

On form over the last 2 years Wines doesn't have 12 months left. On current form is very debatable he should be in our starting line up.

A second round pick for Ollie at present is a very good offer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back