List Mgmt. List management 2022-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to King in that SEN show about where he sees us in 2023, he mentions how we really haven’t had a key back for 8-9 years. Most good sides have at least one and some have two.
I don’t think I’ve ever been confident in our backline once it’s exposed from the lack of cover from others pushing back.

Listening to King in that SEN show about where he sees us in 2023, he mentions how we really haven’t had a key back for 8-9 years. Most good sides have at least one and some have two.
I don’t think I’ve ever been confident in our backline once it’s exposed from the cover of others pushing back.
We’ve got Aliir. He’s an elite CHB.

Ultimately there is a trade off between height and coordination. Most 198cm plus dudes are uncoordinated. The rare gems get turned into forwards or ruckmen by AFL clubs, not defenders.

Long term, I think this problem gets solved by an influx of African migrants starting to play the game. Aliir's athletic profile is his main weapon and it's far from unique to him among African athletes.

In the meantime, just find good defenders rather than s**t ones. Tom Stewart is 190cm but you'd have him play on anyone because he's smart, reads the play, knows where the ball is going and knows how to use his body to beat bigger men in the air.

When you have a number of young talls as we do though it wouldn't be a bad idea to convert one to a defender, they can't all be forwards & pinch hit ruckmen. Some won't make it in preferred positions & will get delisted sooner or later so it's pretty dumb not to try it.

Last edited:
the couple games of jones and SPP in the same forward line i really liked
Jones much better when running in straight lines, his best footy will be in defence with squirts through the midfield.

doesnt have the forward craft of a Rioli or oratz.

should be persisted with for the entire season. He will only get better with confidence and a good run of injury.

Jones has only shown afl ability when playing in defence
Disagree.
He's shown zilch as a defender. We've got half a dozen better medium/small defenders than him atm.

His best 2 games were as a HF at the end of last season by a mile. Thought he was very clever in presenting himself and leading into space.

Play him there and throw him in the midfield rotations with the other 7 or 8 guys we have available.

Disagree.
He's shown zilch as a defender. We've got half a dozen better medium/small defenders than him atm.

His best 2 games were as a HF at the end of last season by a mile. Thought he was very clever in presenting himself and leading into space.

Play him there and throw him in the midfield rotations with the other 7 or 8 guys we have available.
Thought he looked like he could play a bit in a Wing, wouldn’t be against a good run in the twos on a Wing. Fitness and Touch could benefit. I think he will be a good small-medium defender if he gets fractionally cleaner.

When you have a number of young talls as we do though it wouldn't be a bad idea to convert one to a defender, they can't all be forwards & pinch hit ruckmen. Some won't make it in preferred positions & will get delisted sooner or later so it's pretty dumb not to try it.

I think they try but but football IQ and athletic ablitiy work against them.

Godfather bid for the best available key defender is the answer.

Disagree.

In these 'best games' you're referring to he averaged 9 disposals and 0.25 goals.

Up forward he's just an angrier Jed Macandcheese. I'd rather delist him than see him spend a single further game up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article in the paper about freo throwing the kitchen sink at MG and Naughton
And how exactly are Freo going to manage that?

They don’t have a first round draft pick - traded a part of the Jackson trade.

I would imagine both Port and WB would put some pretty steep asking prices on them. Particularly Naughton given he is in contract still.

And how exactly are Freo going to manage that?

They don’t have a first round draft pick - traded a part of the Jackson trade.

I would imagine both Port and WB would put some pretty steep asking prices on them. Particularly Naughton given he is in contract still.

Dogs just wouldn’t let a contracted naughton go for anything less than a gun young player back (and there’s no signs naughton wants to even go back tho who knows)

With Mitch, port couldn’t entertain a future 1st plus sweeteners especially with freos future looking alright and the possibility that’s a teen pick. For a young kpf, that would be nightmare scenario for port. Tho freo might not have much else to offer. Our best hope is Mitch doesn’t ask to be traded there.

Dogs just wouldn’t let a contracted naughton go for anything less than a gun young player back (and there’s no signs naughton wants to even go back tho who knows)

I think it's Naughton who absolutely hates Freo, going back to the days he was playing for Peel Thunder - he got left out of their WAFL grand final team when it was stacked with Dockers players, after being in the side all year. I think his family were all mad Collywood supporters.

With Mitch, port couldn’t entertain a future 1st plus sweeteners especially with freos future looking alright and the possibility that’s a teen pick. For a young kpf, that would be nightmare scenario for port. Tho freo might not have much else to offer. Our best hope is Mitch doesn’t ask to be traded there.

I 100% agree. A kings ransom of young high end players would be needed to make this trade work.

I would only add, there is no suggestion MG isn’t happy at Port.

I don't understand the heat Lachie Jones cops on this forum. He's an absolute beast with some serious potential. Yes we don't know if he'll fill it, we don't even know exactly where he fits, but holy hell there is a lot still to work with there for a 3rd year kid. He has absolutely frightening straight line speed and general power.

Dont also forget that at this stage Willem Drew had still not even played an AFL game. Lachie has played 20, he's shown he is up to it, and will only get better over next 3-4 years.

Problem with MG's contract talks is it is hard to give him a contract because it'd be purely based on potential. We need to see how he fulfils that this year to give him something, he'd also be hoping to smash it this year to earn a bigger one, all the while though this patience just opens up the door for mega go home deals.

I'm confident he'll stay, but this situation has disaster written all over it.

I'd be more concerned about West Coast than Freo.

Freo have no draft capital and will likely finish above us on the ladder so their leverage is minimal.

West Coast have the draft capital to get a deal done and will likely finish below us on the ladder. Also, MG is from deep in West Coast part of town and thus I think would be more attracted to them geographically than Freo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back