Lloyd & Buddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
With Buddy passing 900 goals, it won't be long before he goes past Lloyd's career mark of 926.

Which got me thinking how the trajectory of their respective careers have lined up.

Buddy has kicked 42 in 13 games this year, so putting him in for 65 for 2018 (the same average for the rest of the season plus two finals), actually puts him on 925, just one short of Lloyd.

There's a lot of similarities between the two great goalkickers of the past ~20 years.

Buddy started in 2005, ten years after Lloyd in 1995. Quite remarkably for a big man, he played 20 games in his first season, kicking 21 goals. Lloyd played just the 5 games for 7 goals.

Buddy was a stunning instant hit, kicking 73 in his third year and 113 in his fourth. Lloyd started to get going at a similar rate but didn't really reach the same heights until his fourth year, where he kicked 70 goals, followed by 87 goals in his fifth.

At this stage of their careers is perhaps where the different styles of footy kicked in. Clarkson immediately set about lowering Buddy's share of Hawthorn's scoring to make for a more unpredictable spread. Ten years earlier however, Sheedy was operating in a simpler time and had no need to do this. Buddy kicked 67 and 64 goals in the next two years, while Lloyd kicked 109 and 105.

After their seventh year in the league (2001 / 2011), they end up basically level on goals and remain remarkably similar for many years to come, until Buddy moves to Sydney.

Lloyd continues with some huge hauls until injury hits in 2006, when his season is over after 3 games and 13 goals. This gives Buddy the chance to catch up.

Lloyd returns with a couple of bags of 60+, but is not quite the goal machine he once was. Changes to the modern game are kicking in too, with lower scores and less individual goalkickers. Lloyd is done in 2009.

Buddy however charges on with remarkable durability and consistency, and really doesn't look to be slowing down. He's going to end up with a huge haul.

This is amazing when you consider the widely-held belief that it's much harder for one individual to kick huge tallies in today's footy: Buddy is going at just as good a clip as an all-time great like Lloyd was 10 year ago. Buddy has completely defied the modern trend.

LFDHzQDP_o.png

Lloyd ended on 926 goals from 270 games in 15 seasons. With my assumptions on the rest of this year, Buddy will be on 925 goals from 291 games in 14 seasons... and still has a way to go. He's a stunning story of durability and consistency, who has remained at the top of the game for perhaps longer than any other player in history - for the last 12 seasons now he's never played less than 17 games, and has been the premier spearhead in the league. And he's still as fit as ever.

Anyway, there is no real point to my post. I just love big goalkickers and looking at their careers and numbers, and thought others might be interested.

Last edited:

So you're saying Buddy is kind of good?

My thorough research indicates that yes, he possibly is.

Seriously though... is there an argument he's a bit underrated?

Do people ever pause and realise we're watching an absolute genuine all-time great, who is most probably one of the very best players of all time?

He should finish will a goal tally up near the likes of Dunstall, Coventry and Plugger. In one of the lowest scoring eras of all time, where individual goal-kicking is at an all time low.

Had he played in Plugger's era, I don't know if you can conclude he'd be anything less than a 1500+ goalkicker. His consistency and durability is amazing.

I don't really care if people think I'm biased, but Lloyd is an all-time great. One of the greatest full forwards in the history of the sport. Buddy has tracked and will eclipse him in an era where no individuals are kicking big bags.

With Buddy passing 900 goals, it won't be long before he goes past Lloyd's career mark of 926.

Which got me thinking how the trajectory of their respective careers have lined up.

Buddy has kicked 42 in 13 games this year, so putting him in for 65 for 2018 (the same average for the rest of the season plus two finals), actually puts him on 925, just one short of Lloyd.

There's a lot of similarities between the two great goalkickers of the past ~20 years.

Buddy started in 2005, ten years after Lloyd in 1995. Quite remarkably for a big man, he played 20 games in his first season, kicking 21 goals. Lloyd played just the 5 games for 7 goals.

Buddy was a stunning instant hit, kicking 73 in his third year and 113 in his fourth. Lloyd started to get going at a similar rate but didn't really reach the same heights until his fourth year, where he kicked 70 goals, followed by 87 goals in his fifth.

At this stage of their careers is perhaps where the different styles of footy kicked in. Clarkson immediately set about lowering Buddy's share of Hawthorn's scoring to make for a more unpredictable spread. Ten years earlier however, Sheedy was operating in a simpler time and had no need to do this. Buddy kicked 67 and 64 goals in the next two years, while Lloyd kicked 109 and 105.

After their seventh year in the league (2001 / 2011), they end up basically level on goals and remain remarkably similar for many years to come, until Buddy moves to Sydney.

Lloyd continues with some huge hauls until injury hits in 2006, when his season is over after 3 games and 13 goals. This gives Buddy the chance to catch up.

Lloyd returns with a couple of bags of 60+, but is not quite the goal machine he once was. Changes to the modern game are kicking in too, with lower scores and less individual goalkickers. Lloyd is done in 2009.

Buddy however charges on with remarkable durability and consistency, and really doesn't look to be slowing down. He's going to end up with a huge haul.

This is amazing when you consider the widely-held belief that it's much harder for one individual to kick huge tallies in today's footy: Buddy is going at just as good a clip as an all-time great like Lloyd was 10 year ago. Buddy has completely defied the modern trend.

LFDHzQDP_o.png

Lloyd ended on 926 goals from 270 games in 15 seasons. With my assumptions on the rest of this year, Buddy will be on 925 goals from 284 games in 14 seasons... and still has a way to go. He's a stunning story of durability and consistency, who has remained at the top of the game for perhaps longer than any other player in history - for the last 12 seasons now he's never played less than 17 games, and has been the premier spearhead in the league. And he's still as fit as ever.

Anyway, there is no real point to my post. I just love big goalkickers and looking at their careers and numbers, and thought others might be interested.
It is a nice parallel.
Bud travels kms per game and would be fun to see this comparison between other great goal kickers and him, with direct goal assists added in to capture Bud's uniqueness.

Thanks for the great write up.

Lloyd retired too early

I put Lloyd as a FF and Buddy as a CHF, adding another interesting layer in the comparison

Lloyd with a beautiful kick, would have been interesting if he delivered inside 50m a bit more often, would have been some spectacular goal assists

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lloyd basically retired because he hates Matthew Knights.

Very good player. Was probably a bit easier to kick massive bags as a key forward in the early 2000s so don’t see him as being quite in Buddy’s league.

Good value on footy classified.

The thing about Buddy is he's kicking these goals while also getting up the ground and delivering the ball inside 50 which is crazy. On top of that the difficulty of the goals he kicks is really nuts. Two of the three he kicked on the weekend were 50-55m out on what, a 45-55 degree angle? I think that value is underrated - scoring goals from poor inside 50 entries (relatively speaking, a mark on the 49m spot on an angle is a poor inside 50 entry).

These were my first three posts on learning about the Swans signing Buddy

I really don't want this. Not only do I not think we need him but I also wondered why the Swans are trying to get the COLA taken away from us. The one sure way to do that would have been to do exactly what we are doing. Why would we risk that.

I can see this blowing up in our faces in so many different ways.

- Losing players we have and need due to salary cap pressures
- Losing the COLA all together because the other 17 clubs make the AFL get rid of it
- Not having the money to go after other players.

Safe to say I was not a fan, but I admit now that I was very very wrong. It has been an absolute pleasure watching Buddy in the red and white.

These were my first three posts on learning about the Swans signing Buddy

Safe to say I was not a fan, but I admit now that I was very very wrong. It has been an absolute pleasure watching Buddy in the red and white.
You were also right!

- Lost Mumford
- Lost COLA
- Lost the ability to trade

2 grand finals in 4 completed seasons, a stack of goals and a heap of Brownlow votes and still going strong in year 5, likely in to year 6 and beyond makes the deal a success but you weren't wrong!

Buddy is also one of the few spearheads who was actually coached to kick less goals... as was done by Clarkson.

Buddy will probably keep powering on just like I thought Lloydy would back in the day. Just a reminder though that Lloydy did look a moral for 1000.

The end can come very quickly & just like with Lloyd, the game will be the poorer for it when Bud's gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back