PC Man Plays Civilisation II For 10 Years, World Disintegrates into 'Nightmare Of Suffering'

Remove this Banner Ad

Upton Sinclair

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
This was just too beautiful not too share :D

"Roughly 90% of the worlds population (at it's peak 2000 years ago) has died either from nuclear annihilation or famine caused by the global warming that has left absolutely zero arable land to farm," he said.
All of the three powers left - the Celts, the Vikings and the Americans -have been engaged constant war for about 1700 years, he said.
He added that he wanted to stay a democracy but was beset by internal politics which forced him to create a communist state.
"I was forced to do away with democracy roughly a thousand years ago because it was endangering my empire. But of course the people hate me now and every few years since then, there are massive guerrilla uprisings in the heart of my empire that I have to deal with which saps resources from the war effort."
"Peace seems to be impossible. Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons," he said.
According to the intrepid gamer, the military stalemate is so tight and balanced that no other action is possible except the construction of more tanks.
"This also means that cities are not only tiny towns full of starving people, but that you can never improve the city. "So you want a granary so you can eat? Sorry; I have to build another tank instead. Maybe next time."
Lycerius says that he wants to rebuild his game world - but in an echo of actual international politics "he isn't sure how".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...n-ii_n_1589153.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

• Banned
Greatest game of all time. The idea of the time cap removed is intriguing.

You always had the option of continuing for "just a few more turns" at the end of the game, this guy just took it too far.

• Banned
ah, civ 2. there's nothing like sending out settlers along the sliver of arctic in search of hospitable land. and those pesky enemy diplomats :(

All the Civs have merged into one for me. I'm almost tempted to go back and revisit 2 - 3 though, I have some faint nostalgic memory that they were somehow better than the more recent incarnations.

Good to see reddit continues to be a quick and easy source of cheap journalism.

Read this when he posted on Reddit, thought the same thing. It would be tempting, it's essentially BF for journos with upvotes and downvotes to make it easier :p

i've seen it posted on 5 different big name news sites, very shoddy journalism. it's like ninemsn, everything i read on reddit, i see on ninemsn two days later

anyway, the guy uploaded his save here: http://www.reddit.com/r/theeternalwar/
the subreddit is quite big now with people trying to do other strategies to see the outcome and posting the results

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard about all the fuss with Civ IV. Finally got it the other day. Cant work out how to play it! Went back to Rise of Nations.

a) Use the tutorial.
b) Keep trying. There's a lot in it to get your head around, don't treat it like an RTS.

The cartoonyness of the whole thing turns me off too. Like if you attack another army its a cartoon scene of two people bashing each other with clubs - its ahrd to apprecaite 'taking over the world' when tthings like this illustrate it. Least in some well known real time games who can see massive battles, death and destrucution with units/buildings common to the time period.

The cartoonyness of the whole thing turns me off too. Like if you attack another army its a cartoon scene of two people bashing each other with clubs - its ahrd to apprecaite 'taking over the world' when tthings like this illustrate it. Least in some well known real time games who can see massive battles, death and destrucution with units/buildings common to the time period.

You tried Paradox Interactive?

Is Empire Total War any good? Thanks

Total war series was enjoyable for battles. However I found that once I got into EU, I couldn't go back to the simplified strategy and simulation of Empire Total War.

EUIII has a steep learning curve though. It takes several games to fully understand how things work.

EUIII has a steep learning curve though. It takes several games to fully understand how things work.

And yet it's probably got the easiest learning curve of the paradox games.

I'm not a fan of the Total War series. Perhaps because I only own the two that are meant to be the worst (Empire and Napoleon), but that's my favourite era for history games anyway.

To me they just feel too confused - unsure whether they are a turn-based game like Civ, or an indepth battle-by-battle RTS, and end up doing neither well.

And yet it's probably got the easiest learning curve of the paradox games.

I'm not a fan of the Total War series. Perhaps because I only own the two that are meant to be the worst (Empire and Napoleon), but that's my favourite era for history games anyway.

To me they just feel too confused - unsure whether they are a turn-based game like Civ, or an indepth battle-by-battle RTS, and end up doing neither well.

Medieval II and Rome were done well.

Empire and Napoleon don't compare to EU.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back