Player Watch Mark Keane (Retired 2022, Crows SSP 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Suggest, no. Think, yes. The reason why I didn’t suggest it is because I assumed the club would know whether he was worth relisting.

He never really broke through when he was with us, he had all the attributes, so I figured the club thought he’d never make it….that has been proven incorrect. So if they thought he was likely, why not relist him.
Just think of the impact you could have had on the team's composition and prospects had you shot off an email to the club at the time urging the man's re-inclusion on the list. We'd have built a digital statue in here of you in appreciation of your actions. Instead you are left to regret what might have been.

Imagine the outrage if we part with a second round pick for a guy we already had on our list for nothing.
He's a completely different player from the one who left us. That's why we let him walk. Now we know what we are getting which is better than a speculative draft pick.

It's all a part of the approach Browne flagged when he said we intended to stay in contention through astute trading and luring proven players to our club.

How did he end up at Adelaide anyway?

Wouldn’t he have had to either come to us or enter the draft???

By taking a year out of the game he basically ended up with unrestricted free agent privileges.

What’s to stop a player from taking a gap year off to gallivant around Europe, and then walk into their club of choice when they return? Which is essentially what Keane did.

Lots of people complained about G Wright taking a gap year but he's actually working hard to set up a Coll-tiki gap year tour of Europe for homesick footballers.

Harley Reid signed up for the 2025 tour, so he'll be ripe to be signed by Pies as UFA for 2026.

Did you say that to Chris Tarrant too?

Pretty sure we got the first-rounder which resulted in Ben Reid for Tarrant, along with possibly Medhurst?

Either way, he didn’t walk out on the club, burning our investment and leaving us a man short on the playing list as a result.

Pretty sure we got the first-rounder which resulted in Ben Reid for Tarrant, along with possibly Medhurst?

Either way, he didn’t walk out on the club, burning our investment and leaving us a man short on the playing list as a result.
He was a cat b wasn’t he? We rarely fill that cat b list anyway. Using that logic we are a man down currently with Condon overseas

He was a cat b wasn’t he? We rarely fill that cat b list anyway. Using that logic we are a man down currently with Condon overseas

Nah he’d been elevated, I’m sure of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a completely different player from the one who left us. That's why we let him walk. Now we know what we are getting which is better than a speculative draft pick.

It's all a part of the approach Browne flagged when he said we intended to stay in contention through astute trading and luring proven players to our club.

how much are you paying him?

Hopefully a lot. Gimme that compensation pick!! Age is obviously part of the AFL's secret herbs and spices in terms of working out the compo pick, and he'd be right at the top for age consideration
JDG, turned him inside out and exposed him by taking him away from the square. I think you can look forward to that for the rest of the year. He is lost without his limited all round defensive game. I would rather you keep him to be honest

:thumbsu:

Sounds good, I’d prefer us to lure someone else though.

Hopefully a lot. Gimme that compensation pick!! Age is obviously part of the AFL's secret herbs and spices in terms of working out the compo pick, and he'd be right at the top for age consideration

You don’t get compo picks for trades, only what the destination club is able/willing to trade for the player. I’d suggest our 3rd or 4th pick would get it done.

If we ultimately delisted Keane at the end of his contract with us, then he would be an unrestricted free agent every time he comes out of contract in future right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back