Matchday 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Was interested to read that Jason Denayer, despite playing the full match in midfield, played just seven passes on the weekend. Even allowing for the fact that Sunderland did not have much possession, this still seems like a remarkably low number.
I watched the game. Denayer was definitely in defence, not in midfield.

There's so much doom and gloom in this thread from opposition supporters about the state of United right now but I've honestly not felt this optimistic about our future in a long, long time. The results have been seriously frustrating of late but from a performance point of view I haven't been this entertained by a United side in quite a while. Obviously we've still got a lot of improvement needed but I've never been more confident about our ability to do so. Don't believe the press hype about "lolmou". He has a huge job ahead of him here but is showing that he's learning more about this side each week and we're looking much better for it.

Yeah the results haven't reflected the way we've been playing but give it time and it will come. The positives right now far outweigh the negatives IMO. For example guys like Herrera, Mata, Valencia, Bailly are having very strong seasons and it is likely that someone other than DDG will finally win our POTS this year. Pogba has started to find his feet and has been looking very good lately. Myki is back in the fold and has looked up for it. Mourinho has finally realised the value of Carrick to team balance. For the first time in a long time Rooney's status as an untouchable is under threat...etc. The big positive though is that we're actually enjoyable to watch again and at no stage under Moyes or LVG was that the case. Mourinho will turn this list over at the end of the year and we'll be a very different team next season. The light at the end of the tunnel is in sight and I'm confident Mourinho is leading us towards it.
Aww this is cute. So you spent 150 million in the summer and Mourinho has a reputation as a world class manager who brings instant success.

Despite that, Man United have had the worst start to a season since I think 1985 or something?

Cool man. Everything looks great!

Would love Simeone, don't think he wanted to leave Atletico but??

Him and Grizmann would be the dream, but can't see us changing managers again so quickly.

You guy need to go back to buying quality youngsters and developing them. Splashing cash on big names hasn't worked for you since SAF departed.

Aww this is cute. So you spent 150 million in the summer and Mourinho has a reputation as a world class manager who brings instant success.

Despite that, Man United have had the worst start to a season since I think 1985 or something?

Cool man. Everything looks great!

And Liverpool still haven't won the league title since 89/90.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had this discussion before and it seems as though just about everyone except for you is aware of the fact that Mourinho's reputation for success is actually based on his second season after he's had time to assess the capabilities of his squad and is then able to rebuild it in his image.

It is so overwhelmingly apparent that you aren't actually watching games and just basing your opinions on media sensationalism so I don't even know why I'm bothering here. There's more to the game than statistics FFS. For the first time in ages I'm actually excited to deprive myself of sleep watching this team and after the s**t we've been served up since Fergie left that is cause for optimism IMO. Can you point out where in my post I made out as though there isn't still heaps of room for improvement though?

All I said was that our performances have been the best they've been in years, even without getting the desired results and I'm confident that if we keep it up then the results will come. I don't think that is too unreasonable and I certainly don't think it warranted such a childish response from you tbh.

Liverpool spent more money than United unitl this season.

Liverpool has had just as much money but pissed it all away on all but maybe 5 players

Would love Simeone, don't think he wanted to leave Atletico but??

Him and Grizmann would be the dream, but can't see us changing managers again so quickly.

A lot of rumours Simeone is gettable, but I agree I don't see you ditching Mou after a season. You've invested a hell of a lot of money in him so you really need to give him a bit of time. Boom or bust really.

We've had this discussion before and it seems as though just about everyone except for you is aware of the fact that Mourinho's reputation for success is actually based on his second season after he's had time to assess the capabilities of his squad and is then able to rebuild it in his image.

Not really sure where this 2nd season rep comes from. At Chelsea first time he was an instant sucess, same at Inter, Real he was only 4 points off Barca(then won it next season) and S/F UCL and Chelsea 2nd time only 4 points off and another S/F UCL. Hits the ground running.

He is an insant hit usual and the side isn't rebuilt in his image, he can use what he inherits. Yet to be seen whether he can actual build a side of his own.

I watched the game. Denayer was definitely in defence, not in midfield.

I watched it as well.

O'Shea and Kone were the two CBs and Denayer was playing in front of them.

As others have said, just about every Sunderland player ended up playing in defence. But Denayer did not appear to be selected for the match as a defender.

Not really sure where this 2nd season rep comes from.

Really? It comes from the horses mouth. He was saying it before we'd played a competitive fixture and he said it when he rejoined Chelsea too. There are heaps of quotes around from former players discussing this process too.

Also, when Jod and I last had this conversation just a few weeks ago this was what you had to say about it:

Its how he works though. 1st season about working out the wheat from the chaff. 2nd seasons its a well oiled machine. 3rd season it all comes crashing down.

Really? It comes from the horses mouth. He was saying it before we'd played a competitive fixture and he said it when he rejoined Chelsea too. There are heaps of quotes around from former players discussing this process too.

Also, when Jod and I last had this conversation just a few weeks ago this was what you had to say about it:

Yeah he's working out the wheat from the chaff(as any new manger will do), but he still is getting the results and his teams are performing well in that first season(and winning s**t). His teams generally hit the ground running and he improves from there before the impending implosion. His littles horses still go close to winning it.

He won first up at Porto too didn't he?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back