Matt Priddis Retires - Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This decision pretty much sums him up, ultimate team player. Could easily have gone on, seen how the body was next season, and cashed some more pay cheques.

Will be missed.

Bit late to the party but was genuinely shocked hearing this news today. He's definitely done the right thing calling it now. Enjoyed watching him when he was at his peak.

An absolute champion of the footy club. Thanks, Matt. I'm sure that coming from a background as a young player who took a while to get into the system had a bearing on your decision to step aside and give someone else a chance. I hope you can turn back the clock and help us push to make an impact on finals!

Matt probably deserves to play out the rest of the season now. But i would like to see him brought back for rnd 23. Would really like to see how redden and sheed perform in the guts for the next 4 games.

The night he won the Charlie was one of my favourite on BF. Classic b*tthurt all over the shop.

If even half of the people in this world got as much out of themselves it would be a much better place.

Good on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrific post from Bay 13

Priddis was a more deserving recipient of the Brownlow in 2014 than Bartel was in 2007 or Judd in 2010.

2014 - Priddis 28.5 disposals, 15.0 contested, 6.7 clearances, 7.3 tackles
2007 - Bartel. 27.3 disposals, _9.6 contested, 3.9 clearances, 5.3 tackles
2010 - Judd_. 26.8 disposals, 13.7 contested, 6.4 clearances, 5.3 tackles

The shit-hanging on Priddis just reflects people's preference for style over substance. He looked ungainly and had weird hair. He wasn't flashy and wasn't a smooth mover like Judd. He was just a humble, durable, tough, hard-working, ultra-consistent midfielder who was the AFL's most prolific contested ball-winner & tackler over the last 10 years.

1 x Brownlow (2014), runner up (2015)
1 x All Australian (2015)
1 x Best & Fairest (2013)
4 x Best & Fairest runner up (2010, 2011, 2014, 2015), 4th in 2006, 2016, 5th in 2008

He extracted every last drop from his god-given ability. Well-played, I say. Underrated.

Career averages:
Joel Selwood - 244 games, 25.6 disposals, 11.6 contested, 5.3 clearances, 5.3 tackles
Matt Priddis_ - 233 games, 26.3 disposals, 13.3 contested, 6.1 clearances, 6.8 tackles
Well said Wooshette, and personally I loved his hair:) His form dropped off when he cut his locks off:rolleyes:

Being srs thanks Matty - you have been a credit both to yourself and to the team. Could never doubt your effort and got the best out of yourself, particularly 2014 and 2015. All the best for whatever path you choose at the end of the season. Will miss seeing those curly locks flying around!

Would love to see Priddis in a development type role for the Club in the future, should he choose to do so. Going by his interview it doesn't sound as though that's the path he wants to go down. Time will tell of course.

Haven't seen many players make more out of themselves given the trouble they've had being drafted and coming into a very tough competition with relatively limited skill sets. Well done Priddis, haven't always loved your work, but more than happy to acknowledge the blood, sweat and tears you've put in over the years and the love your teammates clearly held for you, which clearly speaks volumes.

Enjoy your retirement. :thumbsu:

Congratulations Matthew on a fine career with the Eagles. You have been a great servant of the club and deserve every accolade that you have ever received. May you have a happy retirement.

Well done to the great man!! without being disrespectful and I know it was a win against the bottom side but I saw a difference in the midfield. He was done the right thing in stepping away. He has done so much for our club and will always be known as a WC great.

I don't understand why they're presenting this as some sort of big news. These sort of discussions go on all the time behind closed doors when it comes to players who have played a long time for a single club. As if it's some sort of surprise that a guy might want to continue playing a game he's played his whole life, or his club might be choosing to go in a different direction due to form slipping and needing to work in some younger blood.

I don't understand why they're presenting this as some sort of big news. These sort of discussions go on all the time behind closed doors when it comes to players who have played a long time for a single club. As if it's some sort of surprise that a guy might want to continue playing a game he's played his whole life, or his club might be choosing to go in a different direction due to form slipping and needing to work in some younger blood.
Agree with your comments whole-heartedly - was surprised when I read the article. Media at their best - "NOT"!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back