Player Watch Max Michalanney - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

abridged version edited

Normal stuff re Max but putting on 3kg is good. Love the news re our away jumpers - the old 1997/98 Crows Head one. AND the Gather round one which had a lot of love :)

Adelaide young gun Max Michalanney opens up on his goals for the 2024 season​

Max Michalanney is just warming up. He opens up on his future and goals for 2024.

He had a sensational first year for Adelaide but Crows young gun Max Michalanney has his sights set on rapid improvement in numerous areas of his game in 2024.
Michalanney was a revelation for the Crows in 2023 after being selected as a father-son.

The son of Norwood legend Jim played 22 games for the Crows in his first year at the club, impressing as a solid defender and was consistently given the oppositions’ most damaging small forward.

But the 191cm 19-year-old is hoping to expand his game in 2024.

“I think just to improve my game as a whole, obviously there is a lot to improve on,” he said.

“My strength, my fitness, my skills and my understanding of the game as a whole so I can bring a bit more intercepting into my game and some more attacking flair while still being a really strong defender.

“That is something I am aiming to do and am keen to get stuck into in the pre-season.”

As part of this, Michalanney had a big focus on getting stronger and fitter during the off-season.

Max Michalanney, [PLAYERCARD]Taylor Walker[/PLAYERCARD] and Jake Soligo in the Crows' guernsey range for 2024.

Max Michalanney, Taylor Walker and Jake Soligo in the Crows' guernsey range for 2024.
At the start of pre-season for the Crows, the results are looking promising.

“Obviously last year I was pretty skinny and it was something that I wanted to work on to get stronger so I can match up on bigger opponents which will help me stand up in tackles and in those contested areas on the field,” he said.

“Also just improving my tank and getting a bit fitter so I can run out games to a better standard.

“So those were the two main things I worked on in the off-season.

“I’ve put on about two or three kilos
during the off-season and we had our one rep maxes during this week so I’ve broken all of my PB’s in the gym which is a good sign and I’m feeling really good as well.”

A bulked-up Michalanney could help the Crows answer the question of how they replace the departed Tom Doedee and injured Nick Murray in their defence, for at least the first half of 2024 before Murray returns from his ACL injury.

Michalanney said there were plenty at West Lakes who could help the Crows in the tall and intercept defender area.

“To be honest I’m not all that fussed where I play,” he said.

“Wherever the team needs me I will fill that role but we have the likes of Dan Curtin coming in as well and he is a really big boy at 197cm, he’s got good skills and is a smooth mover so it will be interesting to see how he goes this pre-season but he has already made a good impression so that is good.

“And the beauty of our defensive group at the moment is that we have really good depth, we have James Boralse, Keaney (Mark Keane), Josh Worrell all making a massive mark on the game at the end of last year.

“So we are really confident in where our backline is going and hopefully that will translate into many more wins this year.”

In 2024 Michalanney and the Crows will be wearing a big nod to Adelaide’s past.

On top of the traditional tri-colour hoops home guernsey the Crows will have two clash jumpers.

The Crows’ new away guernsey in 2024.

The Crows’ new away guernsey in 2024.

One will be the reintroduction of the ‘Crow head’ that was worn by the club in the 1996, 1997 and 1998 pre-season competitions and then in 2008 and 2009 as an away jumper – one that has long been a favourite with supporters.

The Crow head design was on the jumper that Taylor Walker had on when he played his first game for the Crows and kicked his first goal for the club.

The other will be the extension of the Crows’ Gather Round design after the love it got from fans.

“I love them,” Michalanney said.

The next step? Young Crow’s big off-season switch up
“I guess it (the new away one) means a lot to Tex. He played his first game in it and yeah it’s a cool bit of history of the club and I think we are keen to get into them as soon as we can.

“I love it. It’s one of my favourite guernseys that one and the Gather Round one is also a pretty good looking guernsey.

“Along with the home one I’m stoked with them.”

Wouldn’t be sure of that.

Dawson will be 27 next year. 4 or 5 year captaincy.
Ideally a 26 or older player takes over meaning they be 21 or older already.

Rachele, Pedlar, Fogarty, Thilthorpe possible.
well its good we have seemingly lots of options. Pedlar has been one mentioned as a future potential captain IIRC in the season just gone. Also heard Soligo a possible candidate.

And even the younger guys like Edwards have leadership qualities it appears.

Wouldn’t be sure of that.

Dawson will be 27 next year. 4 or 5 year captaincy.
Ideally a 26 or older player takes over meaning they be 21 or older already.

Rachele, Pedlar, Fogarty, Thilthorpe possible.
Looks a natural leader. He could captain at a younger age.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back